why are doctors so arrogant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C. Ronaldo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
why is it that doctors always act like they know everything and then when they find that something is wrong that they stated before definitely couldnt be wrong, they dont act apologetic and humble. instead they say "well i knew that could be a problem". it seems like most doctors are so pleased with themselves that they actually are doctors, that im surprised they actually get time to think about other people at all. do u think doctors are trained to be such pricks, or is it something they pick up on the job?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
C. Ronaldo said:
why is it that doctors always act like they know everything and then when they find that something is wrong that they stated before definitely couldnt be wrong, they dont act apologetic and humble. instead they say "well i knew that could be a problem". it seems like most doctors are so pleased with themselves that they actually are doctors, that im surprised they actually get time to think about other people at all. do u think doctors are trained to be such pricks, or is it something they pick up on the job?

Probably both. I have found that it does take a conscious effort to avoid becoming arrogant and remaining humble. I'm guessing their prestigious and well-off position in society, and the way that patients look upon them (as the facilitators of life and death), leads them to this attitude. I've seen it in some of the best. On the other hand, you need to distinguish it from confidence, which I think is often very necessary for doctors to execute their job properly and for patients to have faith and trust in their doctors (which is necessary, but with limitations, of course).

C. Ronaldo said:

i think you are playing off a stereotype; might as well ask why are all hispanics lazy, or all jews cheap, all african americans gangsters etc... I have been in a job where i am able to interact with physicians often; in fact one of the most humble and genuine people i have met is a ct surgeon. The stereotype seems to me to be more the exception than the rule.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's impossible for doctors to know everything. they constantly learn, and sometimes you learn by making mistakes (which, unfortunately, happens in medicine)

imagine if your doctor misdiagnoses you, and instead of saying "I knew that could be a problem", he/she said "i didn't know what i was talking about, and because I didn't know, I made a mistake". Most people would probably conclude that this specific doctor is a dumb-bell, and would find a new one.

a competent doctor can make a mistake. admitting that you made a mistake because you didn't know enough might make you look like you're not knowledgeable.

I'm not defending their "arrogance", as you so put it, but that's just how I see it.

Hey ronaldo, im a nurse so i know about working with doctors. some of them are DEFINATELY PRICKS, but not all. even some nurse practicioners and NURSES are nasty, so it's not just the MDs/DOs. it's their personality or their gross misconceptions.they have no idea what healthcareTEAM means or they think because they can write medical orders, they can order everyone and everything around and they also think that other staff members know nothing and thus can never question them. well they're WRONG!! i've corrected doctors when they've made mistakes and they all thank me, because they know without someone double checking for them, they would probably kill a patient and not have a license anymore!! so my point is, it's not all doctors that are like this, cause i've met some that are sweethearts. those rude people would probably be that way even if they were not doctors. that's just they way they are!!

C. Ronaldo said:

Probably because they feel like they should know everything especially since they have completed such a rigorous program (in medical school).

WE ARE GODS!!!!
- or going to be, if we're still pre-meds :)

i've noticed a lot of people in med school are cocky, but not all. i'm going to try really hard to become one of them!

not all docs are cocky man u be stereotypin and thats not cool. maybe u just had some bad experiences. my old mans' an anesthesiologist one of the nicest docs out there. ive been surrounded by docs my whole life goin to cme's just bein around ppl he works with everyones been super nice to me/ also when i was in the hosp for skateboarding injuries everyon was mad cool no complaints. doctors think they know alot bc they DO know alot. think of the schoolin u gotta go through. dont you WANT them to know what they are doing? they better be up on their game! or dont take their "patronizing" words to heart and be insecure about it. blow it off man, who cares.

i am pretty sure that ronaldo is trolling. i don't like people posting negative stuff on the forum about doctors or med schools unless they are actually in school at least, because they are more concerned with perpetuating stereotypes as opposed to addressing a problem.

why is it that doctors always act like they know everything and then when they find that something is wrong that they stated before definitely couldnt be wrong, they dont act apologetic and humble. instead they say "well i knew that could be a problem".

in today's world, a doc who is apologetic and humble--as in the situation you stated--is just begging for a lawsuit

acidhouse303 said:
not all docs are cocky man u be stereotypin and thats not cool. maybe u just had some bad experiences. my old mans' an anesthesiologist one of the nicest docs out there. ive been surrounded by docs my whole life goin to cme's just bein around ppl he works with everyones been super nice to me/ also when i was in the hosp for skateboarding injuries everyon was mad cool no complaints. doctors think they know alot bc they DO know alot. think of the schoolin u gotta go through. dont you WANT them to know what they are doing? they better be up on their game! or dont take their "patronizing" words to heart and be insecure about it. blow it off man, who cares.
haha! I pictured Chris Griffin in the "Family Guy" episode where he's talking street saying all of this. Whew... laughed so hard... Cheep thrills.

Members don't see this ad :)
alumafly said:
in today's world, a doc who is apologetic and humble--as in the situation you stated--is just begging for a lawsuit

yeah its almost like docs these days have to be careful about what they say and what they admit to....to say "I made a mistake" def seems to just be asking to be sued by someone, who can say that the doc admitted to a mistake....sometimes its hard to not be confident, on the border of being cocky, when you deal with certain people....as a doctor or someone of high prestige, you almost come to expect a certain level of competence and intelligence when dealing with others, and when that doesn't happen, it may take effort to stay composed and calm, and explain things without trying to sound condescending to the other person

alumafly said:

Actually, studies have shown that doctors who are apologetic when they make mistakes are less likely to be sued. Making a legitimate mistake does not equal malpractice.

dsblaha said:
Actually, studies have shown that doctors who are apologetic when they make mistakes are less likely to be sued. Making a legitimate mistake does not equal malpractice.

I can see that....but you never know when you'll get a truly vindictive, vengeful person who wants to sue you for everything your worth....and it may not help your case if you've already admitted to a mistake on your behalf....I dunno law, Im gonna need a damn good lawyer for stuff like this :oops:

C. Ronaldo said:
why is it that doctors always act like they know everything ?

Because we do damnit, we’re doctors for gods sake.

Homer Doughnuts said:
Because we do damnit, we’re doctors for gods sake.

we're gods for gods sake is what you mean right? :laugh:

Arrogance is Ignorance.

Blue Scrub said:
we're gods for gods sake is what you mean right? :laugh:

Sorry, I failed to consider the surgeons point of view, my bad

I think you are playing off a stereotype; might as well ask why are all hispanics lazy, or all jews cheap, all african americans gangsters etc...
I can pretty much guarentee that at this point in my life, unless you are a med student, that I spend more time in hospitals than you...not because i want to either. ANd pretty much all the doctors i have come across seem like the way i described. i have met a few nice down-to-earth ones, they tend to come from different countries. one from buenos aires was really nice, one from romania was ok, but later turned out to be a prick. the main doctor we work with is nice, but she doesnt seem to be very good. she does very poor physical evaluations and despite extensive xrays and mri's we still point out stuff to her that she hasnt noticed before thats been there ages. one doctor was such a jackass. his first question when he walked through the door was "you dont have insurance do you?" (we don't) and after a short examination he booked up the treatment, but was conviniently absent for any other visits to him. im praying for a truck to hit him.

C. Ronaldo said:
I can pretty much guarentee that at this point in my life, unless you are a med student, that I spend more time in hospitals than you...not because i want to either. ANd pretty much all the doctors i have come across seem like the way i described. i have met a few nice down-to-earth ones, they tend to come from different countries. one from buenos aires was really nice, one from romania was ok, but later turned out to be a prick. the main doctor we work with is nice, but she doesnt seem to be very good. she does very poor physical evaluations and despite extensive xrays and mri's we still point out stuff to her that she hasnt noticed before thats been there ages. one doctor was such a jackass. his first question when he walked through the door was "you dont have insurance do you?" (we don't) and after a short examination he booked up the treatment, but was conviniently absent for any other visits to him. im praying for a truck to hit him.
:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

I'm kidding. Seriously though, look into anger management. ;)

C. Ronaldo said:
......ANd pretty much all the doctors i have come across seem like the way i described. ................. im praying for a truck to hit him.

I definitely know how you feel. But what you have described is not that unique for doctors. I witness a lot of those undesirable behaviors outside medicine too.

In a similar situation to yours with the only difference in that the patient and his primary attending oncologist were once schoolmates, frustrations are still unavoidable. It’s all because the doctor has never been in any patient’s shoes before. It doesn’t help when she has to do defensive medicine like everyone else. So as long as you are not discriminated against, you should learn to live with the passive role. It is essential especially when you desperately need anyone whom you dislike. The adjustment to this experience should help you become a much better doctor/man than those you are having problem with, someday.

BTW, there is a male nurse by the last name of Roriguez. He is one of the best around because he was treated for the same leukemia that the patient has, almost twenty years ago.

Good luck

Doc are like any other group of people, there will be a certain % of A-holes. Out of the maybe 40 docs I regularly have contact with - only about 2 are jag-offs. I'm fairly certain they were jags even before med-school...

Nerdboy said:
Seriously though, look into anger management.
tell me that when its your dad. with empathy and compassion like yours , your gonna make a swell doc. this is supposed to be a future doctors forum and you get comments like that. what absolute filth some humans are.

dopaminophile said:
haha! I pictured Chris Griffin in the "Family Guy" episode where he's talking street saying all of this. Whew... laughed so hard... Cheep thrills.

yea im real glad u think the way i talk is funny
im not talkin street or whatever u have no idea oK?
i just type how i talk.

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings... all apologies. I just try to picture the people saying some of these things and you come up as Chris Griffin talking street. No harm intended. Whew... still funny though.

Incidentally, you might consider typing out some of the words, using punctuation and using capitalization. That might help soften the impression and lend a little credibility to your posts. Or not, whatever floats your boat.

cheers,

-dope-

So true, as soon as you admit to a mistake...it will always be the jacka** who is looking for somebody to sue.

yea im real glad u think the way i talk is funny
im not talkin street or whatever u have no idea oK?
i just type how i talk.
Not to be rude or anything, I would just like to say that your posts are difficult to read. I mean, come on. I do not talk the same way I write, I doubt many people actually do. Just add some puncuation and fix up your grammar a bit when you post. As dopaminophile said, it will make a huge difference to they way you come across and it will be easier to read for the rest of us.

Peace.

Thanks a lot, Panjabi! :mad: Now I've got that silly Spider Man song stuck in my head! :laugh:

These pretzels..............................are making me thirsty!

Your post is the most intelligent!

I have to say ...... after looking at this thread, I had to register. I have a doctorate in Physical Chemistry. School is much more rigorous and takes a very long time. I see very little arrogance in my field.

If you're a med student, don't believe the compliments of your family. They're living through you. You're not exceptional. Patients these days are smarter and more educated. They recognize that a large ego indicates inferiority. Get it right before you practice.

I feel a bit sorry for your field. Your salaries don't match with your abilities.

Last edited:

I have to say ...... after looking at this thread, I had to register. I have a doctorate in Physical Chemistry. School is much more rigorous and takes a very long time. I see very little arrogance in my field.

If you're a med student, don't believe the compliments of your family. They're living through you. You're not exceptional. Patients these days are smarter and more educated. They recognize that a large ego indicates inferiority. Get it right before you practice.

I feel a bit sorry for your field. Your salaries don't match with your abilities.
You bumped a 6 year old thread for what reason, sir? :confused:

index.php

I have to say ...... after looking at this thread, I had to register.
You waited six years to do this?

I have a doctorate in Physical Chemistry. School is much more rigorous and takes a very long time. I see very little arrogance in my field.

You just sound butthurt.

You waited six years to do this?

You just sound butthurt.

I'm digressing but I feel like you really take your handle seriously. Like you come out of no where, call people out, and then descend back into the darkness.

I have to say ...... after looking at this thread, I had to register. I have a doctorate in Physical Chemistry. School is much more rigorous and takes a very long time.

phd1, sounds like you're the one with the ego...

For sure. Every lab science Ph.D is superior in ability to every M.D. You hit the nail on the head.

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/abinaz...go-to-medical-school-a-gleefully-biased-rant/

read this. take it with a grain of salt.

doctors, especially, put up with a lot of crap. naturally they become a little diluted and cynical. I don't think anyone can come out of medical school without having some sort of hatred for stupidity and incompetence.
I prefer to titrate my doctors.

"Reason: grammer"

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/abinaz...go-to-medical-school-a-gleefully-biased-rant/

read this. take it with a grain of salt.

doctors, especially, put up with a lot of crap. naturally they become a little diluted and cynical. I don't think anyone can come out of medical school without having some sort of hatred for stupidity and incompetence.

I wonder what would happen if doctors nationwide decided to go on strike. Seems like a silly question but it could have a profound effect on healthcare.

Hmm...

All I have to say to this is...

tumblr_lhexo8G6VF1qdlkgg.gif

and....

01haters.jpg

Last edited:
I, like Phd1, am chiming in a month late, according to the post date of the last comment. I don't think Phd1 meant to seem egotistical. Personally, out of the many docs I work with, have been treated by, and have known personally, 75% acted rudely or showed arrogance on a mostly regular basis. [again that has been my experience in my part of the world.] Anyway, to me at least, what Phd1 was implying was that no one with a medical degree or any other degree should feel like they have completed the single hardest degree/ career path there is. Now just because a person shouldn't it doesn't mean they will. The world is very well aware that become a physician is no easy task by any means, but neither is becoming a Physicist, Chemical and Aerospace Engineer (or any kind of engineer for that matter; think of the people who have to build the machinery a physician or surgeon must use in order to do a procedure), Chemist, Architects, and many others. Shoot, a Master of Arts Degree in English could be hard for a Mathematician or Physician who primarily does well in advanced math and hard core sciences.

Now, I'm not saying that one major/ profession is the hardest, but most professions and college majors have the potential to be hard. MD have conquered an amazing course to become physician, and sometimes I feel that they realize this and let it go to there heads, just as anyone can. I feel that Phd1 was trying to say that people, in this particular setting they are referring to future physicians, should realize that they are not the only ones that have the capability of completing something extremely difficult and be something amazing and that a medical degree doesn't mean you walk around like you know everything, nor can anyone else for that matter Physicians, PsyDs, PharmD, DNPs, PhD etc.....

Same applies to why X-ray techs act arrogant, why Nurses act arrogant, and why EMTs act arrogant. To many people it just seem to be more prevalent with physicians, not that this is always correct.

Last edited:
I'll never look down at my patients (mostly strippers, actresses, porn stars mostly I hope, and average ugly women) since I am a plastic surgeon. I make you hot.

And I believe my patients will trust me in the power to make them beautiful.

So whatever...

I wonder if the number of complaints or "claims" of physician arrogance/ rudeness are varied according to specialty. It seems you would, or at least not in my experience, wouldn't run into as many rude or arrogant Pediatricians, Gynecologists, Oncologist, and Palliative care physicians. Hmmm... just a thought. I understand that when dealing with patients, especially difficult ones, it is important to be firm, assertive, and direct, so what some people interpret as being rude is really a physician, nurse, or tech trying to be professional with difficult people.

The proper response is to put the ball in the patient's court. If someone came in and started dropping Web MD diagnosis bombs on me I'd probably just be like "holy ****, can't believe I didn't know that, here you go" and hand them an Rx pad along with a small waiver about how it's all good if they accidentally kill themself

The proper response is to put the ball in the patient's court. If someone came in and started dropping Web MD diagnosis bombs on me I'd probably just be like "holy ****, can't believe I didn't know that, here you go" and hand them an Rx pad along with a small waiver about how it's all good if they accidentally kill themself

While patient paranoia and hypochondria sucks, it's great that patients are taking a more active role in their healthcare. To a large degree, it's great that patients are educating themselves, just hopefully not with the misinformation on the shady websites.