Why are Doctors So Removed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dmizrahi

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever realized that a lot of doctors they encounter seem removed or spacey? Almost like they rethink their entire lives and the route they took to arrive at where they are, almost like they are unhappy? It almost seems like there are so many of us working so hard to get into something that might not pay off in the manner in which everyone thinks? The idea of regret that so many doctors seemingly go through lingers in my mind, which makes me wonder if all of this hard work is really worth it? For the doctors that are absolutely satisfied in the end, what is the thrill for them?

Members don't see this ad.

Dmizrahi said:
Has anyone ever realized that a lot of doctors they encounter seem removed or spacey? Almost like they rethink their entire lives and the route they took to arrive at where they are, almost like they are unhappy? It almost seems like there are so many of us working so hard to get into something that might not pay off in the manner in which everyone thinks? The idea of regret that so many doctors seemingly go through lingers in my mind, which makes me wonder if all of this hard work is really worth it? For the doctors that are absolutely satisfied in the end, what is the thrill for them?

Really? Cause I've never met a doctor who expressed any regrets. In fact, many of them were way too excited about what they were doing - especially the Haem Path set (Okay maybe that's just because i can't fathom what they could possibly find interesting about it).

If you really do think a Doctor is unhappy with their choice then talk to them about it. Don't ask "Why do hate your life?" Just kinda imply that your having second thoughts and see what their reaction is? I think, just like you, everyone has these kinds of doubt before making such a huge commitment. Maybe you're just projecting your emotions onto these people because i've really never met one who regretted it. And anyway why go through all the stress, they could have gotten out any time.

No one can tell you if all the hard work will be worth it. That's a personal thing. But I can tell you when I started med school I asked myself: if not this then what else? And no answers came. Even now, while some doubts are creeping in I still can't think of anything else I would rather be doing with my life.

Edit: I lie! I actually met someone who would fit in this category...sort of. She finished med school and was into her residency when she just became revolted by the general culture and politics of the hospital and the health system. I wouldn't really call it regret though because she still loves medicine. She moved into primary care where she had more time for herself and went back to her music. She tours regularly now and she seems very happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dmizrahi said:
Has anyone ever realized that a lot of doctors they encounter seem removed or spacey? Almost like they rethink their entire lives and the route they took to arrive at where they are, almost like they are unhappy?

How did you come into this observation? Where or when did you see them like that? Or did you talk to them about it and they say they don't like what they do?

Otherwise.. I'm kinda suspecting perhaps you mistaken their tiredness and lack of sleep with spaciness? I mean a lot of them do get up way early in the morning to do their rotation at hospital and some don't even get off work till after regular dinner time! I know doctors who are busy like that, they may be tired sometimes, but they do enjoy what they're doing.

Dmizrahi said:
It almost seems like there are so many of us working so hard to get into something that might not pay off in the manner in which everyone thinks?
What do you see as things that means paying off?

j-med said:
How did you come into this observation? Where or when did you see them like that? Or did you talk to them about it and they say they don't like what they do?

Otherwise.. I'm kinda suspecting perhaps you mistaken their tiredness and lack of sleep with spaciness? I mean a lot of them do get up way early in the morning to do their rotation at hospital and some don't even get off work till after regular dinner time! I know doctors who are busy like that, they may be tired sometimes, but they do enjoy what they're doing.

What do you see as things that means paying off?

Hey good feedback guys thanks...it definitely reaffirmed my goals, because asking myself the same question where i'd be if i weren't struggling to get into medical school and i absolutely wouldn't want to be doing anything else, and i also forgot to remind myself of the versatility within the health care industry. Perhaps i am replacing their level of tiredness with spaciness, but one ER doctor in particular used to write himself prescriptions of drugs and i think he was abusing them too...his reasons for doing so were to deal with his situation as a doctor. Which would lead me to believe he wasn't pleased with his profession.

Just as in ANY profession, there are going to be burnouts. Lord KNOWS there are a lot of burned-out dentists in the world!!

Don't let a few bad seeds spoil the bunch for you. Don't make a decision affecting your entire life based on a very limited observation. If you really know what you want, then you'll go and get it, regardless of outside input.