Why are eating disorders such a popular specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biogirl215

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm not planning on entering clinical psychology myself, but I know several grad. and undegrad. students in field, so I like to lurk here and get in idea of what the whole process is like. Hope you don't mind!

Anyway, it's seems like every psych. student I know, even those who have done extensive graduate level work in other areas, wants to specialize in eating disorders. What makes this field so popular?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It seems to be a "hot" area, and it may sound glamorous (because it is in the news more often now, especially with celebs), but I think most people bail once they do clinical work in the area. It is a fascinating area to research (I've done some work in the area, and my future research will also be related), and the clinical work is never dull, but because of relapse rates being where they are, it can be VERY frustrating....not to mention the mortality rate can be as high as 15%-20% for chronic cases.

I think it is a great niche to work in, and it can be quite lucrative, but it takes a certain kind of person to do it well. I've been lucky enough to work with some great people both in undergrad and graduate school, and I am still learning every day. I think what is particularly tough about working with eating disorders are the co-morbid Dx's, and the severity at which people typically present in treatment. Specialized training is definitely needed to be effective, since many experienced and very well trained clinicans are still at a loss at how to treat this specialized population.

As for research in the area, I hope there continues to be $ available for more work, because there definitely is a need. My future research involves aspects of treatment within a sub-group of EDs that is severely under served (sorry about the vagueness, I am hoping to secure some funding within the next year or so for it....if/when I get that, I'll share :D)

-t

It's because every female college student who wants to go into psychology has a friend, roommate, or sorority sister who had an eating disorder, or has had an ED of their own. People are usually interested in studying what they know or can relate to.

Eating disorders are big problems on college campuses, but things like obesity are far larger problems in the population as a whole.

Members don't see this ad :)
Money!

Well that’s part of it. I know many others disagree but IMHO opinion most mental health issues can be handled non-pharmaceutically. I think that the field of eating disorders is one that most agree can be handled with non-pharmaceutical therapy. I believe Psychologists can really find a niche in this field. I am not just talking about anorexia or bulimia, but a really big field would be weight issues for obese people.

At one time in college I was 330lbs, that’s a lot for a 5’11” male. No one gets that heavy from being hungry. Like the saying goes, “It’s not what you eat but what is eating you.”

While I did not see a psychologist I used self reflection, meditation, and just read everything form Plato, Beck, Osler, Weekes, to the Art of War. It wasn’t easy. When I took the food away I suffered severe anxiety, depression, and hypochondria (from lack of knowledge of that the anxiety was causing the 39 different physical symptoms I felt). I never took meds, I just pushed through it. And within in a few months I was actually in the best mental health I have ever been in. Know I am a health muscle bound 175lbs. And I never looked back. My life is 1000x more stressful but I have never had anxiety again, never really had any reactions to stress out of the norm. Anxiety was the best thing that has ever happened to me (didn’t think that at the time). If I never had that happen to me I probably would be morbidly obese sick today.

To get back to the subject, I think therapy in eating disorders and weight management would be great fields to get into.

I disagree that the majority can be treated non-pharma/psychotropic. There are WAY too many cases with co-morbid Dx's, and many times meds are necessary to get a person to a place where they can function. I am not a med first kind of person, but I think this is a population that really benefits from them.

-t

I disagree that the majority can be treated non-pharma/psychotropic. There are WAY too many cases with co-morbid Dx's, and many times meds are necessary to get a person to a place where they can function. I am not a med first kind of person, but I think this is a population that really benefits from them.

-t

The biggest problem with meds use for this issue and many others is people use it as a crutch. Most people stay on the meds and do no other type of non –pharmaceutical therapy in conjunction. Most people will take anti-anxiety medications for the rest of their lives and be content, even though these medicines are not originally designed for life-long or for that matter long-term use. Also these types of meds are like many types of illegal drugs, they are hard to get of.

My personal belief is that issues in life such as anxiety and depression are opportunities for growth. I see it as the bodies alarm system, saying stop-look-listen before your breakdown. I don't like to see people in pain but sometimes hardship and suffering are the motivations that cause people to overcome their issues. Don't get me wrong, I do agree that meds help, but they are not used properly in many cases.

There really is no excuse that with advancement in fields such as psychology, ease of everyday living compared to the past, and the access to knowledge today that there are tens of millions of people taking pharmaceuticals to manage everyday life. I think we can agree that MOST mental health care issues are not schizophrenia, bi-polar disorder and serious psychotic illnesses (even thought I have many doubts about these also), but have more to do with people's inability to deal with everyday life. Whether it be from the pampering of Generation X, lack of parenting skills or the lobbying powers of the pharmaceutical industry (Billions of $'s with a B); we are a heavily overprescribed nation.

How were Empires and nations built, technology invented, and having society go from apes to landing on the moon done achieved without the need of Zoloft?

One reason I would be reluctant to advise someone with an ED to take meds is that so may pills that are commonly prescribed have side effects of weight gain or, on the other end of the spectrum, can be used as appetite suppressants. Pretty scary stuff when you're dealing with a patient with anxiety or depression concerning eating issues.

On the other hand, if a patient's mental state is preventing him or her from being able to work on eating habits or to focus at all during therapy, that is also a hard nut to crack.

One reason I would be reluctant to advise someone with an ED to take meds is that so may pills that are commonly prescribed have side effects of weight gain or, on the other end of the spectrum, can be used as appetite suppressants. Pretty scary stuff when you're dealing with a patient with anxiety or depression concerning eating issues.

On the other hand, if a patient's mental state is preventing him or her from being able to work on eating habits or to focus at all during therapy, that is also a hard nut to crack.

It is scary what has been prescribed to many of the ED pts, especially the very low-weight anorexics; they definitely requires someone who works specifically with the population.

-t