Why are ECs so important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hermit MMood said:
I think that those who are more interested in caring for patients, and are more philanthropic will go into primary care whereas those who are very competitive and want the prestige/money/etc will go into the more competitive residencies which often involve less patient to doctor interaction and more physical work. So for the most part, you're not really going to see as many socially adept/apathetic doctors in general practice versus the more competitive residencies.
so...does it follow that the social docs are not competitive? why is it that said residencies are "competitive" and others not?

Members don't see this ad.

Hermit MMood said:
1) E.C.s coupled with high gpa shows that you're smart/efficient in time management/and can handle both the academia and "outside interests" at the same time. Compare this to the guy who studies 15 hours a day, and gets a 4.0. What happens when the course load increases? There won't be enough time in one day to study at that rate and depth.
2) "The Universe tends to unfold the way it should." ~ Black Guy In Jail from Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle

I think that those who are more interested in caring for patients, and are more philanthropic will go into primary care whereas those who are very competitive and want the prestige/money/etc will go into the more competitive residencies which often involve less patient to doctor interaction and more physical work. So for the most part, you're not really going to see as many socially adept/apathetic doctors in general practice versus the more competitive residencies.

Many of the most competitive fields - eg. derm, optho have very significant patient interaction. Even moderately competitive fields like radiology are becoming more "interventional". Not sure why you think there is less interaction and more "physical work". Plus I don't think there has ever been any demonstration that those who do many ECs in undergrad are less likely to land competitive residencies. I wouldn't be surprised if the converse is true.

Law2Doc said:
Plus I don't think there has ever been any demonstration that those who do many ECs in undergrad are less likely to land competitive residencies. I wouldn't be surprised if the converse is true.

Compared to us mere mortals, I've noticed that those successful applicants to the most competitive specialties do tend to be irritatingly perfect. Extremely bright, engaging, involved in everything, affable, humble.... there are a few in every class. I'm sure as hell not one of them, but their existence exposes Shredder's "curing vs. cuddling" philosophy as the garbage that it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shredder said:
interpersonal skills take a back seat to proficiency and knowledge.

Since I've earned a place on Shredder's ignore list (quite an honor, if you ask me), I'll follow this quote up with one more thought for the rest of y'all. I'm a pathology resident, and within the last two weeks I have attended two separate seminars on "The Future of Pathology" and "The Business of Pathology," respectively. Both talks referenced the same list.

Now, despite pathology's reputation of being inhabited by homunculus-like uber-nerds who hide in the hospital basement, avoiding all light and human contact, guess what the NUMBER ONE quality private pathology groups are looking for when hiring? That's right, interpersonal and communication skills. Turns out that interacting with clinicians (especially surgeons) and yes, even *patients* is an important part of the job. Having the other members of your group like you might even be helpful.

reposting after deleting this last week:

on the role of subjectivity in undergrad ivy league admissions:
http://www.newyorker.com/critics/content/articles/051010crat_atlarge
(aha-who's really benefiting here?)

and a great article on the "gatekeeper effect"--do med school adcoms resist candidates who have "aptitude for scientific achievement?"
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:....pdf+decline+of+the+physician+scientist&hl=en
check this one out. :thumbup:

great food for thought. i have a great quote somewhere about how competence must take precedence over compassion in the medical profession (duh!), but i can't find it...gonna look

what do you all think?

merry xmas, happy hannukah, etc.