Why are foreign-trained dentists applying to advanced standing programs if the H1B visa process is a lottery?

Started by dentj5
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dentj5

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know the title sounds daunting but I always thought that if people went through such a demanding dental program, there would be a way for them to practice in the US. Now that the H1B visa lottery only works about 50% of the time, I was wondering if that meant that only half of the advanced standing international graduates managed to practice in the US. It's a big sacrifice to make for a foreign-trained non-citizen so I'd like to believe that there is somehow of a guarantee that one can practice in the US after graduating for a US dental school.
 
Things are lot easier for folks from europe and other under-represented countries in US. However, things are very tough for folks from India. Even after going through demanding dental program there is no guarantee that they will be able to practice because they need work permit/H1B visa to be able to work. For other countries getting green card is easier than getting H1B visa. Does that make sense?