Why are professors strange / odd / weird / socially inept?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

voyeurofthemind

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just for fun...

As I start to think about entering into a doctoral program and see my peers do the same I have to admit I look at them and myself and fast forward 8-10 years and wonder if I will become as odd / strange / socially inept as some of my professors? Not saying they are all weird - some are very bright and charming people but for the most part the majority of them all have quite a bit of odd quirks and generally appear to be social awkward. Your thoughts? Maybe it's the never ending years of graduate school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Actually, I tend to think that a lot of clinical psychologists are rather cool and not nerdy/ weird at all. That's just my observation though.
Just for fun...

As I start to think about entering into a doctoral program and see my peers do the same I have to admit I look at them and myself and fast forward 8-10 years and wonder if I will become as odd / strange / socially inept as some of my professors? Not saying they are all weird - some are very bright and charming people but for the most part the majority of them all have quite a bit of odd quirks and generally appear to be social awkward. Your thoughts? Maybe it's the never ending years of graduate school.

Just for fun...

You probably shouldn't list yourself as a "psychologist"....

As for the topic, there are definitely some personalities, but that is part of the fun!

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, I tend to think that a lot of clinical psychologists are rather cool and not nerdy/ weird at all. That's just my observation though.

Agreed. I think part of the discrepancy might be accounted for by the fact that this individual may not be distinguishing between, say, social or experimental psychology professors and clinical psychology professors. My experience is that even the oddest clinical psychology professor CAN be socially apt when he or she chooses; I think that there are one or two among the group as a whole who behave that way deliberately in order to observe how others react to them. They are psychologists, after all! But for the most part, clinical psychology folks are some of the coolest people I know; another reason to love the field! :love:

Just for fun...

I have the same thoughts all the time. Yes, some of the strangest and most socially awkward profs I've had have also been the coolest. But I regularly wonder if I am destined to become them too. This goes for undergrad, grad, psych profs and non-psych profs. Can the brain only handle so much knowledge before it turns into a quirky and socially awkward cocoon of gooey strangeness? Please all, take that last question very seriously.

Actually, please don't.

I think that people who are very brilliant are frequently just have less social skills and may be more inclined to show eccentric behavior. Keep in mind that many professors are chosen for their research skills and contribution to science rather then teaching and interpersonal skills.

I used to do a great deal of research into autism and I know many speculate that some of the greatest minds may exist somewhere on the spectrum, although not necesarily in the diagnosable range. One of my professors has talked about studies that have found increased symptoms in many people working in physics, math and similar fields. Wouldn't be that surprised to see some of that in top statistically minded psychological researchers either.

Either way I doubt that you transform from being "normal" to odd and socially inept as a result of your time in grad school. I suspect that these people were always like that and may just be given more power to express it now.

Keep in mind that many professors are chosen for their research skills and contribution to science rather then teaching and interpersonal skills.

This. Clinicians are, in general, a whole other breed from academics. Of course there are plenty of exceptions in clinical psychology, which itself is a unique blend of research and practice.

My two cents anyway...

Academia requires a good deal of rigor to be successful. The field rewards very exacting individuals and/or individuals who are able to meet extremely high levels of productivity.

My thought (and this is a generalization!) is that one who goes into academia, in general, tends to be either (a) extremely intelligent/brilliant or, uh, (b) a bit neurotic (obsessive/compulsive tendencies, etc.).

So you tend, on the one hand, to get folks with really high cognitive abilities, the ones we call "brilliant". Such folks, I would think, have some separation from mainstream society in terms of social development, because of their advanced cognitive abilities. Thus, they have developed unique worldviews and such, would fit into what you and others may label "socially awkward", "quirky", etc. Those sort of profs are, at least to me, my favorites.

On the other, you get a variety of rigid individuals who constantly strive and push to move forward. Such striving could also lead to some separation from the mainstream in terms of behaviors, worldviews, etc. Less fun to interact with, at least in my opinion.

Again, just my two cents worth :)

Just curious - I haven't explored this at all personally, but has research been done on psychopathology among graduate students or academics in psych? Could be interesting :laugh:

I think that people who are very brilliant are frequently just have less social skills and may be more inclined to show eccentric behavior. Keep in mind that many professors are chosen for their research skills and contribution to science rather then teaching and interpersonal skills.

I used to do a great deal of research into autism and I know many speculate that some of the greatest minds may exist somewhere on the spectrum, although not necesarily in the diagnosable range. One of my professors has talked about studies that have found increased symptoms in many people working in physics, math and similar fields. Wouldn't be that surprised to see some of that in top statistically minded psychological researchers either.

Either way I doubt that you transform from being "normal" to odd and socially inept as a result of your time in grad school. I suspect that these people were always like that and may just be given more power to express it now.

Academia requires a good deal of rigor to be successful. The field rewards very exacting individuals and/or individuals who are able to meet extremely high levels of productivity.

My thought (and this is a generalization!) is that one who goes into academia, in general, tends to be either (a) extremely intelligent/brilliant or, uh, (b) a bit neurotic (obsessive/compulsive tendencies, etc.).

So you tend, on the one hand, to get folks with really high cognitive abilities, the ones we call "brilliant". Such folks, I would think, have some separation from mainstream society in terms of social development, because of their advanced cognitive abilities. Thus, they have developed unique worldviews and such, would fit into what you and others may label "socially awkward", "quirky", etc. Those sort of profs are, at least to me, my favorites.

On the other, you get a variety of rigid individuals who constantly strive and push to move forward. Such striving could also lead to some separation from the mainstream in terms of behaviors, worldviews, etc. Less fun to interact with, at least in my opinion.

Again, just my two cents worth :)

Just curious - I haven't explored this at all personally, but has research been done on psychopathology among graduate students or academics in psych? Could be interesting :laugh:

I find what you wrote interesting. Particularly, this:

"On the other, you get a variety of rigid individuals who constantly strive and push to move forward. Such striving could also lead to some separation from the mainstream in terms of behaviors, worldviews, etc. Less fun to interact with, at least in my opinion. "

Could you please describe in more detail what you mean? Perhaps with some examples of behaviors.

Just an observation (and also a feeling that I would be in the same boat if I tried to become a professor at a research I school).

To some people, the different aspects of being an academic and all that entails come, uh, at least more easily than for others. Some, those endowed with greater cognitive abilities, can live a "normal life" as an academic. One prof I know, for example, among other things, has a family, is in a (part-time) band, travels extensively, and is involved with friends and the community in a variety of ways. He is also brilliant and able to compile a solid research program while also meeting other work obligations (teaching, service) and have a solid life outside of work.

Other profs I have come into contact with are consumed with their work. Many of these sort of profs are constantly engaged in work. They seem to have difficulties balancing work and life. These sorts, I would argue, often have difficulties, I would argue, since they HAVE to put in such a large effort in work to meet muster. If such individuals do not put forth that total effort into their work, then they will NOT meet productivity benchmarks required in a heavy research department. The outcome, I would surmise, is a variety of different neurotic tendencies, which results from a constant sense of anxiety and a lack of life balance.

Again, just my musings :laugh: No data per se or anything of that sort on these ideas.....

I find what you wrote interesting. Particularly, this:

"On the other, you get a variety of rigid individuals who constantly strive and push to move forward. Such striving could also lead to some separation from the mainstream in terms of behaviors, worldviews, etc. Less fun to interact with, at least in my opinion. "

Could you please describe in more detail what you mean? Perhaps with some examples of behaviors.

Well, for the record *snort*, as a future academitianitianianan, I take offense to this thread . . . *trips over own feet, makes eye contact just a little too long . . .*

:D

Reactions: 1 user
Well, for the record *snort*, as a future academitianitianianan, I take offense to this thread . . . *trips over own feet, makes eye contact just a little too long . . .*

:D

^ :laugh:

Well, I would certainly hesitate to generalize to ALL professors of psychology, but I just left a behavioral medicine/psychosomatic conference that was full of non-licensed, pure experimental psychologists. I will say that I was shocked by several awkward moments and strange comments. It was cute in a way, but definitely made me all the more grateful for my decision to pursue clinical psych.

I totally hear you; I like to think that as clinical psychologists we do have a bit more social savvy than do our less people-focused academic compadres, lol . . .

When I teach, I sometimes act a little strange for my own personal amusement. :)