Why are so many cardiologists seemingly afraid of caths?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've never understood why they can't have useful things like:

1. Customizing the tracking board to only show the data I want
2. Alarm pop-ups I can set. "Hey that CT read is back after 2 hours!"
3. Doctor-nurse messaging for a particular patient. Instead I have to put something in the comments section and hope it gets read

EPIC does all of these things, at least the build I have does. A lot of people at my shop don't know about #1 because it's kind of complicated to get to that window but my trackboard is just name, room, gender/age, time in department, New data available (funny looking square), labs, imaging and vitals. Oh, and what MLP is on the case, if any.

Use to be a horizontal split screen guy, but my colleagues have fully convinced me to a vertical split screen guy. it is objectively better and you can time-stamp MDM comments into the chart.

It's still far from perfect but definitely acceptable.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've never understood why they can't have useful things like:

1. Customizing the tracking board to only show the data I want
2. Alarm pop-ups I can set. "Hey that CT read is back after 2 hours!"
3. Doctor-nurse messaging for a particular patient. Instead I have to put something in the comments section and hope it gets read

In a few taps, I can order you tacos... Yet, we can't do vastly more simple things in our EHR.

Reactions: 1 users
There's a column named "Activities" which has LOTS of useless icons in it. I tried signing up for activities (like flag football or chess club) using these icons, but... it didn't work.

LMFAO
Frickin genius
Lol

Dammit I missed the Thursday chess club meeting again! And this time I bought cookies and milk for everyone too. Now what am i going to do with this food. Maybe I’ll give them to the homeless guy in 4 who is here for the 84th time in 2020.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In a few taps, I can order you tacos... Yet, we can't do vastly more simple things in our EHR.

Our EMRs really do suck donkey testicles, don’t they.

All I want is an app on my phone and I can walk out of a room, tap on a few orders, hit submit, and go to the next room.

We all order the same **** most of the time anyway:
BMP
CBC
LFT
Troponin
UA
CXR
EKG

And maybe a few other things for infections.
Just tap on orders on your phone.
Tappity tap tap tap and you are done.

How ****ing hard can that be?

I had a roommate for a year in undergrad who played the part of "Tommy" perfectly in so many interactions. It helps that he was a film major

Even waking up and making coffee:
"Five minutes, Turkish. Did you call about your mum yesterday? Well. I did ."

I had a roommate for a year in undergrad who played the part of "Tommy" perfectly in so many interactions. It helps that he was a film major

Even waking up and making coffee:
"Five minutes, Turkish. Did you call about your mum yesterday? Well. I did ."

Zee Germans - Imgur.gif

Our EMRs really do suck donkey testicles, don’t they.

All I want is an app on my phone and I can walk out of a room, tap on a few orders, hit submit, and go to the next room.

We all order the same **** most of the time anyway:
BMP
CBC
LFT
Troponin
UA
CXR
EKG

And maybe a few other things for infections.
Just tap on orders on your phone.
Tappity tap tap tap and you are done.

How ****ing hard can that be?

To reply to my own thread...

a really smart app would know what room you go into. At the top of the screen it says "room 22". There are twenty of the most common orders to choose from. You select what you want, hit "Order", and it says just once "Do you want to order these 9 orders for patient "John Random Patient Smith?" just so you don't order them on the wrong patient. You make sure the pt in the room is him, and hit "Yes". Off to the next room.

You can go room to room to room doing this. So easy. Why can't things be this easy.

I need to talk to Cerner.

To reply to my own thread...

a really smart app would know what room you go into. At the top of the screen it says "room 22". There are twenty of the most common orders to choose from. You select what you want, hit "Order", and it says just once "Do you want to order these 9 orders for patient "John Random Patient Smith?" just so you don't order them on the wrong patient. You make sure the pt in the room is him, and hit "Yes". Off to the next room.

You can go room to room to room doing this. So easy. Why can't things be this easy.

I need to talk to Cerner.

Cerner isn’t that bad. There are a lot of difficult builds of varying price and convenience. We have a pretty good setup and IT guy. We have a frequent order page that works great.

We should just have cerner order for "activate cath lab" which then interfaces with the chip inside cardiologists' brains. A little borg icon would appear to indicate the pending status of this order.

I think it's important to not equate "got cath because cath team was in hospital and looking for cases to do" with "patient needed an emergent cath." We've all seen cases where there was an exceedingly high pretest probability that the patient had significant coronary disease; that doesn't necessarily mean it was the wrong thing to wait until the next day to do the intervention. Patients get cathed the same day for "not high-risk" NSTEMI because the cath team happened to be in the hospital during normal working hours, not because they're moving the goalposts on what is and isn't emergent.
Fair point, I digress.