Why are there individuals who look down on optometry/optometrists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PetiteVvn

Reaction score
I'm genuinely curious.

As someone who will be starting optometry school this fall, I've been on forums trying to help the next group of prospective students with their journey through the application process. However, as I roam these forums and other websites, I see individuals vehemently claim that optometry is not a good career field and that optometrists aren't respectable. They're "warning" others not to pursue optometry and that it's not a fulfilling career and not much money is made. There are also people claiming that optometrists aren't "real" doctors.

I'm disappointed at those who went into optometry thinking only about the money and not about their impact on society as an eye doctor. I'm sad to know people don't think optometrists are doctors because they only do checkups on the eyes. Does their logic also apply to those who have PhD's in other areas of study who are called doctors? Eyes are part of our health, too.

With any career you choose to pursue, do your due diligence and research. With optometry, shadowing helps you have an idea of what you may be doing in the future. Ask yourself if it's something you can see yourself doing every single day until you retire. Applications and tests cost money. Some of us had to retake the OAT. Some of us are reapplicants. Before the pandemic, every applicant with the chance to interview had to physically go to the school for interviews. All of this was an investment to the future we dream of achieving... So it's not a cheap thing to do. How do you go into this doing all that you do just to end up saying the field isn't worth pursuing and talking bad about optometrists?

I'm personally excited to start optometry school this fall, and I hope that others who are planning on taking the OAT and applying to schools really have a passion for optometry. We need to love what we do, not just go for something because it's convenient.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I have read somewhere that optometry is being dorminated by big corps? It is hard to open your own practice and working for a big corp isn't the best in term of salary I would assume.

I have read somewhere that optometry is being dorminated by big corps? It is hard to open your own practice and working for a big corp isn't the best in term of salary I would assume.
Luxottica owning the majority of commercial eyewear companies is what it is. Obviously big chain stores will offer cheaper glasses than an optometrist with their own practice because their supplies are in bulk vs a private practice does everything on their own and needs profit. I don't see the issue with working for Luxottica if I don't feel like dealing with every aspect of an optical practice. This isn't a valid reason to hate on optometry.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm genuinely curious.

As someone who will be starting optometry school this fall, I've been on forums trying to help the next group of prospective students with their journey through the application process. However, as I roam these forums and other websites, I see individuals vehemently claim that optometry is not a good career field and that optometrists aren't respectable. They're "warning" others not to pursue optometry and that it's not a fulfilling career and not much money is made. There are also people claiming that optometrists aren't "real" doctors.

I'm disappointed at those who went into optometry thinking only about the money and not about their impact on society as an eye doctor. I'm sad to know people don't think optometrists are doctors because they only do checkups on the eyes. Does their logic also apply to those who have PhD's in other areas of study who are called doctors? Eyes are part of our health, too.

With any career you choose to pursue, do your due diligence and research. With optometry, shadowing helps you have an idea of what you may be doing in the future. Ask yourself if it's something you can see yourself doing every single day until you retire. Applications and tests cost money. Some of us had to retake the OAT. Some of us are reapplicants. Before the pandemic, every applicant with the chance to interview had to physically go to the school for interviews. All of this was an investment to the future we dream of achieving... So it's not a cheap thing to do. How do you go into this doing all that you do just to end up saying the field isn't worth pursuing and talking bad about optometrists?

I'm personally excited to start optometry school this fall, and I hope that others who are planning on taking the OAT and applying to schools really have a passion for optometry. We need to love what we do, not just go for something because it's convenient.
In my opinion, you can dumb it down to that sentence. I think with all of your points, they would see the more negative side, rather than seeing the more positive side like two sides of the same coin. I think it's more to do with the person... sorta like how the grass is always greener on the other side. Its a life lesson more than anything, so its hard to fault people for not yet learning it especially when looking at this issue.

I do think that all these are valid points to hate the field, I would just tell them to maybe go through a few more years in life and then I'm sure if we have this conversation again, they will realize that its all how they view life. Don't worry, all the people I know who are making low/mid to mid/high six figures have never questioned ANY profession, because they know its not the profession, its actually the person. LOL.

TLDR: Just repeat in your head every time you read something... sorry you weren't smart enough as a person? You would have found a way to... i.e. be respected... It basically can answer everything.

I'm genuinely curious.

Keep in mind, there are so many philosophers in these forums that like to spend their time putting prospective applicants down, and talking badly on some fields. Optometrists earn a Doctor of Optometry, they are doctors, they are primary eye care professionals, some people don't get that a "Doctor" title is a level of education. In my opinion, Optometry is a good field that has the potential to keep growing. Optometrists maintain a good work-life balance and still make a more than comfortable amount of money. At the end of the day, having passion for the field is the most important factor to succeed in any profession!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm genuinely curious.

Very well stated. I think what is most important for you is that you are able to pursue a career you seem to be genuinely interested in. Your profession provides a valuable service to the community. Unfortunately the title "doctor" has been conflated with the word "physician". All physicians, at least in the US, are doctors, but not all doctors are physicians. You will obtain a recognized degree from a recognized profession. If someone says you are not a "real"(whatever that means) doctor, they are either jealous, or ignorant, or both. Best wishes in your educational pursuits. James Coleman, D.V.M.

Very well stated. I think what is most important for you is that you are able to pursue a career you seem to be genuinely interested in. Your profession provides a valuable service to the community. Unfortunately the title "doctor" has been conflated with the word "physician". All physicians, at least in the US, are doctors, but not all doctors are physicians. You will obtain a recognized degree from a recognized profession. If someone says you are not a "real"(whatever that means) doctor, they are either jealous, or ignorant, or both. Best wishes in your educational pursuits. James Coleman, D.V.M.

Ignorance perhaps. Reminds me of the "controversy" over Jill Biden's doctorate, which was frankly *****ic and overblown.

You're an optometrist. You're not a physician. There's nothing wrong with that. There is nothing wrong with being an optometrist. Anyone who "look's down" on optometrists are dorks, and that's being kind. You don't want or need people like them in your life. Those people have issues and it's their problem, not yours.

I’m a DO and I’m used to getting looked down on all the time. Medicine or healthcare fields in general attract a lot of subtle type A “I’m better than you” kinda characters. You do you

I’m a DO and I’m used to getting looked down on all the time. Medicine or healthcare fields in general attract a lot of subtle type A “I’m better than you” kinda characters. You do you
You do command respect though as a physician.

I guess it is all relative…

And we'll be happy to welcome you into the profession with open arms. The overly downtrodden are typically those who regret their career choice, or have felt disenfranchised because they did not adequately research what they were getting themselves into. They didn't get a high paying job out of school and are saddled with debt, and that's a real risk for many. They wanted to feel like an MD (whatever that means) and they didn't get that satisfaction from optometry.

For those who plan, research and network accordingly, there is a pretty great road ahead. I would recommend steering away from a practice model based heavily on optical sales, as corporate interest and online availability aren't going anywhere. In my opinion, that's okay. The profession will adapt accordingly, as many move to a more medically based model of eye care. Make some good financial plans and you'll be fine.