• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
Dec 5, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm looking at residency programs in Michigan (I'm from Michigan, but attending medical school out of state... I haven't lived in Michigan in 10+ years, but I'm considering moving back) and a see a severe lack of osteopathic graduates in allopathic residencies in Michigan. Is it because there are so many osteopathic residencies that most DOs forgo the allopathic match for the "safer" DO match? Is Michigan, in general, anti-DOs in allopathic programs? I've stumbled across many programs with 50% or more IMGs, but zero DOs. Someone help me understand!

About the Ads

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Why would DOs in Michigan want to go through the extra effort of applying to another match when there are a ton of good DO residencies in that state? It's not anti-DO bias, it's self-selection.

Reactions: hse and iTcanBdone

Shinobiz11

7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2009
Tennessee
Status
Medical Student
MSUCOM has a 40-hospitals, and 2,000 residency spots in Michigan. Most are dual-accredited. Take a guess.

Reactions: hse
Mar 22, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, I'm kind of jealous my home state does not have as many DO residency slots...Michigan has developed GME and residency programs very successfully! If only states with bigger cities or suburbs followed instead of the random new rural programs AOA makes. Wouldn't you want training in a bigger place with more pathology? I get that they are trying to recruit doctors to those areas but still..

About the Ads