why are there so many interviews! also need some advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

murfettie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seriously? Why are there two+ interviews for a volunteer position? I don't even get paid!
Okay, I suppose i'm upset because of my inferior interview skills, not at the interviews.
I have a problem speaking in a professional manner, especially when I'm nervous, in another word, I talk like a bimbo. My life has consisted of school and travel, neither require professional language.
I lack the insight to comprehend some subtleties of the English language and come out blunt. I didn't learn a word of English until age 13. I suppose I'm progressing since when I was unable to comprehend the fact I'm offending others in high school, it's still hard for me to be totally appropriate though, 6 years after high school.

I decided I should try toastmaster.
God, I need to package myself for med school. Quirky makes you popular at cocktail parties and making couch surfing buddies, but it just doesn't cut it for med school, but I don't know what I'm going to do with that talking like on an interview thing. On the other hand, my California accent is near perfect that nobody will cut me any slack for being "foreign"...
Btw, I'm pretty appropriate in my native language, I just have social awkwardness in the English speaking world.
Any advice on being more professional?
Any advices are appreciated a great deal.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Seriously? Why are there two+ interviews for a volunteer position? I don't even get paid!
Okay, I suppose i'm upset because of my inferior interview skills, not at the interviews.
I have a problem speaking in a professional manner, especially when I'm nervous, in another word, I talk like a bimbo. My life has consisted to school and travel, neither require professional language.
I lack the insight to comprehend some subtleties of the English language and come out blunt. I didn't learn a word of English until age 13. I suppose I'm progressing since when I was unable to comprehend the fact I'm offending others in high school, it's still hard for me to be totally appropriate though, 6 years after high school.

I decided I should try toastmaster.
God, I need to package myself for med school. Quirky makes you popular at cocktail parties and making couch surfing buddies, but it just doesn't cut it for med school, but I don't know what I'm going to do with that talking like on an interview thing. On the other hand, my California accent is near perfect that nobody will cut me any slack for being "foreign"...
Btw, I'm pretty appropriate in my native language, I just have social awkwardness in the English speaking world.
Any advice on being more professional?
Any advices are appreciated a great deal.
Thanks.

Mi ingles no esta muy awesomo pero yo pienso que necesitas mas amigos que hablan ingles muy bonitas porque because es mejor a hang around con peronas classy, para comprendes palabras bonitas.

Also necesitas leer libros in ingles mas fancy. bueno suerte.

awww...
Would you care to elaborate further about could I possibly locate some fancy classy beings like yourself, señor?
Hablo español un poco. Google Translate es muy útil...

Members don't see this ad :)
awww...
Would you care to elaborate further about could I possibly locate some fancy classy beings like yourself, señor?
Hablo español un poco. Google Translate es muy útil...

No. I'm just F'n around. I actually know what you mean. My sincere point is that birds of a feather flock together. Having spent entire chunks of my life around dudes who can't speak a sentence with out swearing. And that sentence being not much more than a few grunts. You can really lose your linguistic chops.

You need to read and hang out with professionally demeanored people. And not because they're that interesting. They just conform to the social norms of your desired profession.

i know, thanks.
i think it was problematic that i learned a huge chunk of my english from WB afternoon cartoons..

I do the same thing actually... I didn't come from a non-English speaking background or anything, however, I too did come from a background of the basic English language, give or take a few swears here and there. Therefore, it is all I knew at the time!

I go to study groups with alot of the nerdy speaking kids, even if I have already mastered the subject, just to make sure I start using more sophisticated language.

It definitely allows me to sound more professional!

By the way, I had to attend three interviews just to pick up my position volunteering at the hospital!

maybe we should form a support group

But also just thought of something. just listen to NPR. And try to sound like their DJ's. blah blahlblah blah blah vanilla blah suchandsuch blahcetera.

maybe we should form a support group

But also just thought of something. just listen to NPR. And try to sound like their DJ's. blah blahlblah blah blah vanilla blah suchandsuch blahcetera.

NPR is a great idea I think, especially if you can't change you social group. I can't help but laugh though that you called them DJ's, as this is exactly the kind of language you all are talking about avoiding. They would probably call themselves news or radio broadcasters.

hah hah, i listen to NPR 2 hrs a day every day, so, i guess I have a unconsciousness reservoir to draw upon.
we should start a meetup group, and meet to exchange tips..