why are you guys and gals still going into pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sozetone

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
just give me a small rundown of WHY you are doing it and what you expect from the field. Thanks.

P.S -- give me logical examples and such. Pretend this is an interview question (which it probably is or will be) and your acceptance rides on it. cool? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
why are you always creating threads trying to convince everyone it's such a terrible idea? one thread is enough get over it ffs. you people are a plague on this community for people seeking legit advice

Reactions: 4 users
Recreated thread in Pre-Pharm forum without reference to job market or saturation.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A better question may be why you spend so much time questioning the validity of those pursuing the same path as you? why do you care? how many threads do you have to create to show that you are dissatisfied with the field? have you considered finding a more worthwhile hobby?

A better question may be why you spend so much time questioning the validity of those pursuing the same path as you? why do you care? how many threads do you have to create to show that you are dissatisfied with the field? have you considered finding a more worthwhile hobby?

Opening post is trying to say, I like my job and don’t go into a field that there are NO jobs. If you do, compensation will keep going DOWN and DOWN and devalue what we bring to the table.

Are you familiar with supply and demand?

My cousin whose dad is half a billionaire told me pharmacy was an easy 100k guaranteed job. In my mind, I was thinking "oh, that's an easy 6 years degree, not too long". Biggest effing mistake I made in my life trusting some random family member. It was a really easy major for sure. So gullible, so dumb. Never take the easy way out, it'll end up costing you big time.

I really wished he told me comp sci or MD. I'd have been just as gullible to follow that advice too (just like any other dumb 18 yr olds) but I'll be in much better career trajectory now.

There was no reference to the job market, saturation ....etc. i asked pre pharm students WHY they are continuing into this profession! and they could not explain. move it back please. let them answer. this is NOT job market related. we are NOT discussing job market. If they decide to talk about that topic, that is on them. I have a right to ask the question!!!

This whole job market forum is a dumpster fire. Nobody wanted it except the mods.

Reactions: 1 user
This whole job market forum is a dumpster fire. Nobody wanted it except the mods.
yes but am i not right? i never asked about the job market in any way.....

yes but am i not right? i never asked about the job market in any way.....

Yup they arbitrary move whatever threads they don't want people to see into this job market forum while other threads stay. It's like how NBA refs call random fouls but let others go.

Yup they arbitrary move whatever threads they don't want people to see into this job market forum while other threads stay. It's like how NBA refs call random fouls but let others go.
thank you

Why was this thread moved out of pre-pharm?

Why was this thread moved out of pre-pharm?
You
exactly, thank you. These kids need to show some respect ans answer up. You know how long i have been asking these guys questions like this? The ALMOST NEVER answer. And i dont believe its all because they get offended and think i am setting them up for some kind of negative response. They are aggravated, and really have no idea what they are doing in pharmacy. They know they are being tested and cant provide a SOLID, emotional, heart felt answer. All they can tell you is "money", or "i wanted to help people" or both. This is a test and they are failing. Also a HUGE reason this field is the way it is. If you take a profession and flood it with anyone and everyone, how special can it be?

Members don't see this ad :)
You
exactly, thank you. These kids need to show some respect ans answer up. You know how long i have been asking these guys questions like this? The ALMOST NEVER answer. And i dont believe its all because they get offended and think i am setting them up for some kind of negative response. They are aggravated, and really have no idea what they are doing in pharmacy. They know they are being tested and cant provide a SOLID, emotional, heart felt answer. All they can tell you is "money", or "i wanted to help people" or both. This is a test and they are failing. Also a HUGE reason this field is the way it is. If you take a profession and flood it with anyone and everyone, how special can it be?

I thought it was a good thread and was also wondering why it got moved so I created a new thread with a poll. I noticed that quite a few of them selected "Other" and wonder if it's a cop out answer.

There was no reference to the job market, saturation ....etc. i asked pre pharm students WHY they are continuing into this profession! and they could not explain. move it back please. let them answer. this is NOT job market related. we are NOT discussing job market. If they decide to talk about that topic, that is on them. I have a right to ask the question!!!

You

I’ve edited your original comment to move in the pre-pharm. if you didn’t see the reason before (no surprise) I’ve fixed it for you.

If y’all wanna preach doom-n-gloom, do it like stoichiometrist did in at least a more tactic way on his post...when you do, you’ll get more responses. Deal?

Deal.

I’ve edited your original comment to move in the pre-pharm. if you didn’t see the reason before (no surprise) I’ve fixed it for you.

If y’all wanna preach doom-n-gloom, do it like stoichiometrist did in at least a more tactic way on his post...when you do, you’ll get more responses. Deal?

Deal.

No offense but can you please just let us post what we want, where we want? We prefer if you stop micromanaging us like CVS does and give us freedom of speech. We do not appreciate when you keep moving threads back and forth, merge into the super thread, shut them down or censor them to your pleasing. I think I speak for everyone when I say to please stop micromanaging us. This is not an attack or anything just a sincere request for respect, for example owlegrad does not micromanage us and he participates in our discussions and we appreciate it greatly.

Thank you and all the best.

No offense but can you please just let us post what we want, where we want? We prefer if you stop micromanaging us like CVS does and give us freedom of speech. We do not appreciate when you keep moving threads back and forth, merge into the super thread, shut them down or censor them to your pleasing. I think I speak for everyone when I say to please stop micromanaging us. This is not an attack or anything just a sincere request for respect, for example owlegrad does not micromanage us and he participates in our discussions and we appreciate it greatly.

I’ll admit you’ve all had terrible moving around of mods before some of us got here (of which your current mods were not even in charge of this forum when the moving and megathread took place by other mods covering down).

If it feels like micromanaging, then the same users need to stop creating duplicate posts with different thread titles. This post goes beyond the surface of what’s going on and those involved in this have been notified.

Deal.
hey man i posted something nice and you deleted it once again, that was wrong. once again....i asked "why are you passionate about pharmacy" and you deleted it.....shame...on you

I agree, especially when we follow the rules. and you just call a foul for no reason......makes YOU look bad.

Deal.

Your a pharmacy student? seriously?

Why are pharmacy students moderating posts on here anyway? Obviously your just picking and choosing what YOU think goes where and even HOW it should be said. Thats not the way the world works. We follow the rules YOU owe us the respect of leaving our posts to be.

You literally ask the same thing in multiple threads under the guise of "really wanting to know" their responses, then immediately jump on anyone for having an opinion because you feel obligated to prove them wrong. Students don't come on here to pander to you, just stop.

No wonder we are the laughing stock of the medical community. Based on the pharmacy board here, we deserve every bit of the **** we’re being fed.

Why are pharmacy students moderating posts on here anyway? Obviously your just picking and choosing what YOU think goes where and even HOW it should be said. Thats not the way the world works. We follow the rules YOU owe us the respect of leaving our posts to be.

Base it off our subtopics and your right to post is left alone. You guys are acting like a lollipop was taken from you. I want people to know about the saturation just as much as the next. So organize it and move on.

If it bothers you send a pm or hit the RP button.

just give me a small rundown of WHY you are doing it and what you expect from the field. Thanks.

P.S -- give me logical examples and such. Pretend this is an interview question (which it probably is or will be) and your acceptance rides on it. cool? thanks.

If you are in pharmacy school, you need to RUN some other direction. Just trying to give advice so you don't make same mistake I did 7 years ago

First amendment rights please?

You guys like to sound all educated and such but aren't even aware that first amendment rights are never guaranteed in a private setting (this forum is private).

You literally ask the same thing in multiple threads under the guise of "really wanting to know" their responses, then immediately jump on anyone for having an opinion because you feel obligated to prove them wrong. Students don't come on here to pander to you, just stop.
This is 210% accurate, don't sit here and act like you want to know. You make multiple threads about this crap on the regular, and you invade anyone's post asking for legitimate advice ignoring their OP and going on to preach your stupid crap. Most pre-pharmers are well aware of the job market, hint hint that is why enrollment is down. I'm thoroughly convinced that you guys are on here trying to convince everyone that pharmacy is such a bad thing because you're one of these people that are so entitled and so unemployable that it's tough for you to get a good job which is why you're at CVS or Walgreens hating your life.

just...stop...it...PLEASE
nobody asks for your crap

**Edit
I got into pharmacy because I enjoy it, plain and simple.

Last edited:
it's tough for you to get a good job which is why you're at CVS or Walgreens hating your life.

If Marie Antoinette were still alive today, she would advise the new grads "let them work at Costco."

. I'm thoroughly convinced that you guys are on here trying to convince everyone that pharmacy is such a bad thing because you're one of these people that are so entitled and so unemployable that it's tough for you to get a good job which is why you're at CVS or Walgreens hating your life.

**Edit

Sorry to burst your bubble but I don't work for CVS or Walgreens, but if that is how you feel about them then you shouldn't be in pharmacy school cause there's a >90% chance you'll end up there if you're lucky. Except instead of making $60+/hr 40 hrs per week like we did, you'll be making $50/hr or less and have to fight for more than 30 hrs per week with less help, more metrics, and more debt. If this is what you enjoy, more power to you!

As for being unemployable, I had two Rph jobs last year but chose to quit one to spend more time with family.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I don't work for CVS or Walgreens, but if that is how you feel about them then you shouldn't be in pharmacy school cause there's a >90% chance you'll end up there if you're lucky. Except instead of making $60+/hr 40 hrs per week like we did, you'll be making $50/hr or less and have to fight for more than 30 hrs per week with less help, more metrics, and more debt. If this is what you enjoy, more power to you!

As for being unemployable, I had two Rph jobs last year but chose to quit one to spend more time with family.

Are you sure you didn't quit one of your jobs to spend more time on these forums trying to convince people that pharmacy is a dead end road?

Are you sure you didn't quit one of your jobs to spend more time on these forums trying to convince people that pharmacy is a dead end road?

Yes, I am only on these forums during down time at work so no personal time is lost. If I can save just one person from financial and emotional ruin then I will feel that I made the world a better place.

Yes, I am only on these forums during down time at work so no personal time is lost. If I can save just one person from financial and emotional ruin then I will feel that I made the world a better place.
You play it off like it's some noble pursuit for others well being when really it's your fear of being unable to get a new job, being stuck at a job, or losing money to falling pay. BTW I know plenty of P4's with current job offers at $60-65/hr.

You play it off like it's some noble pursuit for others well being when really it's your fear of being unable to get a new job, being stuck at a job, or losing money to falling pay. BTW I know plenty of P4's with current job offers at $60-65/hr.

I just started a new job so you are wrong again. Maybe you should stop making assumptions because you have been wrong every time, plus it's not nice to insult people. Notice that you are the only one making personal attacks here? Lucky for your fellow P4s that got good offers before the wages were lowered this year. Take a look at CVS and Walgreens stock price, this field will not be paying high wages by the time you graduate. I wish you the best of luck, may the odds be in your favor.

I just started a new job so you are wrong again. Maybe you should stop making assumptions because you have been wrong every time, plus it's not nice to insult people. Notice that you are the only one making personal attacks here? Lucky for your fellow P4s that got good offers before the wages were lowered this year. Take a look at CVS and Walgreens stock price, this field will not be paying high wages by the time you graduate. I wish you the best of luck, may the odds be in your favor.

You tell me not to make assumptions when you assume I'm going to work at CVS/Walgreens? with >90% certainty? I'm not worried about my job outlook at all, I've got a pretty good lineup of connections when it comes to jobs. It's already a fact that the average pharmacy school applicants is down by almost 50% yet you guys still get on here and create countless threads and posts preaching the pharmacy end of the world. We get it dude.

I'm not worried about my job outlook at all, I've got a pretty good lineup of connections when it comes to jobs.

Do you have a written offer?

I don't think he/she graduates for another 3 years or so. I would be extremely worried about a job outlook that far away.

It was a rhetorical question. I figured that they wouldn't have a job offer 3 years out, especially not in this job market which there are many new grads ready to work ASAP.

Talk about counting your chickens a very long time before they hatch.

You guys like to sound all educated and such but aren't even aware that first amendment rights are never guaranteed in a private setting (this forum is private).

This is 210% accurate, don't sit here and act like you want to know. You make multiple threads about this crap on the regular, and you invade anyone's post asking for legitimate advice ignoring their OP and going on to preach your stupid crap. Most pre-pharmers are well aware of the job market, hint hint that is why enrollment is down. I'm thoroughly convinced that you guys are on here trying to convince everyone that pharmacy is such a bad thing because you're one of these people that are so entitled and so unemployable that it's tough for you to get a good job which is why you're at CVS or Walgreens hating your life.

**Edit

What do you enjoy about it specifically?

If you are in pharmacy school, you need to RUN some other direction. Just trying to give advice so you don't make same mistake I did 7 years ago

me? i graduated 2012, been managing ever since. saving the last of the big money until they find a way to oust us all.

why are you always creating threads trying to convince everyone it's such a terrible idea? one thread is enough get over it ffs. you people are a plague on this community for people seeking legit advice

I asked you a question, i did not try to CONVINCE you of anything.....jeez. Now , what do you like about pharmacy? why are you going into the field.....simple?

I dont jump on anyone....no body answers. thats the problem. No articulated responses ever given. thats the problem here, dont you see? I'm not trying to convince you of anything about the field. I am receiving NO response to a basic question. A question which is of prime importance when choosing a career field, and nobody can answer!!!!

you are like that religious guy on my campus and tells everyone they are damned if they dont listen to you.

I dont jump on anyone....no body answers. thats the problem. No articulated responses ever given. thats the problem here, dont you see? I'm not trying to convince you of anything about the field. I am receiving NO response to a basic question. A question which is of prime importance when choosing a career field, and nobody can answer!!!!
It would be better if you contributed something first and have people discuss it rather than being a bum on the street asking for a quarter from anyone who passes by. You act like people owe you something

**Edit

This person must be at one of those pharmacy schools that don’t need the PCAT. I didn’t have that much free time to post on forums during my pharmacy school days...

Rotations and dealing with preceptors are gonna be tough for this one too..

And have you been following pharmacy? There is a good chance that most pharmacist work for Walgreens and CVS due to market share. They are buying everyone out and instead of student pharmacist, pre pharmers and pharmacists uniting to stand up for better work environments and demand things like lunches and bathroom breaks, we just ignore it all and deal with it...

It's already a fact that the average pharmacy school applicants is down by almost 50% yet you guys still get on here and create countless threads and posts preaching the pharmacy end of the world. We get it dude.
The fact that the average number of pharmacy school applicants is down by 50% (which in reality is exaggerated, it’s probably more like 10-20%) is irrelevant to your argument. It doesn’t matter if pharmacy schools had 40,000 applicants or 20,000 applicants when there are 15,000 seats to be filled every year and pharmacy schools keep cranking out 15,000 new grads each year. The only thing that a reduced number of applicants does is further drop the standards by which to get into pharmacy school, which is why we constantly preach that all you need is a pulse and $200k in loan eligibility to get into pharmacy school nowadays.

The only thing that a reduced number of applicants does is further drop the standards by which to get into pharmacy school, which is why we constantly preach that all you need is a pulse and $200k in loan eligibility to get into pharmacy school nowadays.
lol, exactly what is going to satisfy you? I thought the decreasing number of applicants each year would make you happy but apparently its not. Do you just want pharmacy to be dead?

you are like that religious guy on my campus and tells everyone they are damned if they dont listen to you.

It would be better if you contributed something first and have people discuss it rather than being a bum on the street asking for a quarter from anyone who passes by. You act like people owe you something

You are right you do not owe me an answer, you owe yourself.

lol, exactly what is going to satisfy you? I thought the decreasing number of applicants each year would make you happy but apparently its not. Do you just want pharmacy to be dead?

It already is. the fact that you dont see that is alarming.

What do I want?
1. Every school cut class sizes by 50% effective immediately.
2. Ban on accreditation for new schools effective immediately sustained over the next 15 years.
3. Raise minimum score to pass NAPLEX to 85%
4. Minimum standards to be considered for admission to pharmacy school are >3.2 GPA + minimum of 200 volunteer hours in a pharmacy
5. Salaries of deans and faculty of pharmacy schools are scaled based on job placement rates of graduates. The salary structure would be something like a 70k salary + 50% bonus. If a grad gets a residency/fellowship/full time job, you are awarded 100% of your bonus. If they get a part time job, you get 50% of your bonus. If they do not have a job lined up by the time they graduate then you get 0%. So for example, if in a class of 100 students 20 get residencies, 20 get full time positions, 30 get part time positions and 30 are jobless then your bonus would be 20x100% + 20x100% + 30x50% + 30x0% = 55% and your effective salary for that year would be 70k + 35x55% = $89,250 for the year. Bonuses and raises can be added in if you hit certain targets, such as >90% of the graduating class securing jobs etc. This way, if you really wanted to make money then you’d do everything in your power to make sure your students get jobs.

If even one of these things came to pass, I would be happy.

Last edited:
It already is. the fact that you dont see that is alarming.
Real edgy. I hope you are just trolling me and understand what I meant by dead (as in no pharmacists exist).

You are right you do not owe me an answer, you owe yourself.
Another edgy post. Then why keep making threads asking people they owe you an answer? Because we all know that if your thread dies with no responses, you whine about why no one is giving you answers.

What do I want?
1. Every school cut class sizes by 50% effective immediately.
2. Ban on accreditation for new schools effective immediately sustained over the next 15 years.
3. Raise minimum score to pass NAPLEX to 85%
4. Minimum standards to be considered for admission to pharmacy school are >3.2 GPA + minimum of 200 volunteer hours in a pharmacy
5. Salaries of deans and faculty of pharmacy schools are scaled based on job placement rates of graduates. The salary structure would be something like a 70k salary + 50% bonus. If a grad gets a residency/fellowship/full time job, you are awarded 100% of your bonus. If they get a part time job, you get 50% of your bonus. If they do not have a job lined up by the time they graduate then you get 0%. So for example, if in a class of 100 students 20 get residencies, 20 get full time positions, 30 get part time positions and 30 are jobless then your bonus would be 20x100% + 20x100% + 30x50% + 30x0% = 55% and your effective salary for that year would be 70k + 35x55% = $89,250 for the year. Bonuses and raises can be added in if you hit certain targets, such as >90% of the graduating class securing jobs etc. This way, if you really wanted to make money then you’d do everything in your power to make sure your students get jobs.

If even one of these things came to pass, I would be happy.
Maybe you should start somewhere else that isn't a forum meant to help undergrads. But posting up your problems like this gives a more in depth insight into this field rather than some quack asking us to "do our homework." If you guys intend to keep making these types of threads, at least do what this poster did and post up your own issues. This list would give more encouragement to the reader to look up the issues themselves without someone trying to shove it down their throat.

Last edited: