why aren't I done with Stanford yet??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grumpy Bear

not even a little grumpy!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, is anyone else out there frustrated with that 25-liner? I'm tired of rewriting it... there's nothing I can really do to make myself sound that diverse. Can I really not go to Stanford if I've had a fairly uneventful life "diversity"-wise? For those of you who've finished this essay: what route did you take if your life wasn't full of adversity/educational disadvantage/whatever it is they're looking for? Oh and congrats if you've gotten this done already... this stanford app has been the wrench in my secondary-writing machine :(

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Grumpy Bear
Hey, is anyone else out there frustrated with that 25-liner? I'm tired of rewriting it... there's nothing I can really do to make myself sound that diverse. Can I really not go to Stanford if I've had a fairly uneventful life "diversity"-wise? For those of you who've finished this essay: what route did you take if your life wasn't full of adversity/educational disadvantage/whatever it is they're looking for? Oh and congrats if you've gotten this done already... this stanford app has been the wrench in my secondary-writing machine :(

Heh, I hear you.. I JUST submitted mine. The scary thing is post secondary rejections started rolling in at the end of August last year. As much as I wanted to perfectly pare my essays down, I just gave up and cleaned it up as much as possible to fit the designated line count. I'm not very "diverse", I'm an ORM from the suburbs, so I just talked about a cool travel experience. It's not as gripping as growing up in the projects or in a tough area, but I'm sure there are many other people in the same boat as us. good luck

i feel you EXACTLY! my 10 days are up tomorrow and i haven't even started this essay. i keep planning on working on it but i just end up putting it off. i haven't touched any of my other secondaries this week because this essay is my first priority. i'm not diverse and i have no idea what to write about. at least you're farther along than i am. good luck. i'll let you know my topic once i figure it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you had a job or volunteer experience that put you in contact with people from a different ethnic/economic/religious background than your own? What did you learn from that?

Maybe you don't have to personally embody diversity so much as have experience and understanding.

Good luck!
T

When is the deadline? It says 10 days from August 8th.. is that tonite, or tomorrow? (count the 8th as a day or not?)

not sure what the deal is... any help is appreciated.

m

I'm working with a private med school advisor, and basically there are the elements that she and I decided to include in the essay:

1. My British-style education in my early years
2. My fluency in speaking, writing, and reading two languages
3. Adjustment to cultural differences in the U.S.
4. Background in Buddhism and Christianity
5. Volunteer/coursework/research experience with underserved population such as mentally ******ed individuals

Those may help you guys out. In fact I think for #3 you can talk about experience in the subcultures in different parts of U.S. if you have been moving from states to states. For #4 you can talk about your knowledge of other religions like Catholicism, Islam, etc. For #5 you can talk about any volunteer work with any special populations

Thanks, calebho... that definitely is good food for thought.
Do you guys think it would be lame to talk about my early Montessori education? I feel like it really shaped me as a person and as a learner, but it was also a really long time ago, and may not be that unique. I know that I'm probably worrying about this way too much, but I just hit pockets of obsessiveness every once in a while :)
mmz6, I'm not sure when the 10 days is up... I think that given the way today is going, I'll have to get it in tomorrow. I got my e-mail late on the 8th, so I don't think it's unreasonable to not count it as a day. My reasoning is definitely more motivated by circumstance than by a clear understanding of the due date :D

Originally posted by Grumpy Bear
Do you guys think it would be lame to talk about my early Montessori education?

montessori? how old were you??? i think that's kinda stretching it. i don't think you have to write about something that has shaped you ... but more like something that makes you different than everyone else

When I said "my British-style education in my early years", I actually meant from Grade 1-10. "Early years" was probably not a good choice of word :)