Why aren't we educating residents about.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GonnaBeADoc2222

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The difference between SDG, CMG, hospital employment?

At my "power house" 4 year academic residency, we received not one hour regarding this.

Is it that they just have no idea? Don't care? Want to push all the residents into academics? Are ignorant? Combo of all the above?

I worked a bit of moonlighting at a community 3 year program w ties to one of the big anti-CMG voices in EM, and they seemed to get it more, but jeez we are really failing the residents.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
We had a lecture about different employment models and the pros & cons of each. It was built into our financial education curriculum.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

At my "power house" 4 year academic residency, we received not one hour regarding this.

Is it that they just have no idea? Don't care? Want to push all the residents into academics? Are ignorant? Combo of all the above?

I worked a bit of moonlighting at a community 3 year program w ties to one of the big anti-CMG voices in EM, and they seemed to get it more, but jeez we are really failing the residents.

This is a huge problem across all of “med ed”.

I received zero instruction or information about the merits of PP vs community hospital work vs academia in medical school or in my IM residency. In rheumatology fellowship, there was a gigantic push towards academia, and anyone who wanted to go outside of academia for a job was treated like a black sheep…a minor leaguer who couldn’t cut it in the major leagues.

Academia views all this as either a) “not their job” (as mentioned above) or b) why would we ever entice any of our graduates to do something other than academic medicine? It’s our job to have everyone do academia. At my fellowship, any work outside of academia was just vaguely treated like some mysterious underworld that nobody knew of…”ah yes some people go into private practice…we’ve heard of that…but wouldn’t you much rather work an academic job?”

It’s ridiculous that there is no discussion about this amidst all the other fluff and nonsense that is getting baked into these training programs these days…I can remember a lot of nonsense lectures throughout training, but little to nothing about malpractice/liability, practice environments, how to negotiate a contract, etc etc

Reactions: 4 users
Educating EM residents on these subjects would open a Pandora's Box, leading to residents asking very hard questions the educators don't have answers for, or at least don't have politically correct answers for.

Reactions: 11 users
Just like society as a whole, keeping residents in the dark and limiting information makes them easier to control. We don't want people asking hard questions. Just get them on the career path, academia, HCA sausage-factory it doesn't matter, so long as the sheep keep working and don't question the corrupt system.

Reactions: 3 users
At least at my program we had a pretty solid curriculum on practice models, threats to EM, compensation strategies, etc.

By no means a “famous” or “power house” program but we were a large county/academic hospital. However we did 3 months every year at a community/private practice site where we got to build a lot of rapport with the attendings there and learn about things like hospital politics, reimbursement models, press ganey, throughout, and how to keep a private group functioning. We also did a month at a CMG teamhealth site in the last year to compare that to the academic and private group sites. There were a couple formal lectures a year on financial literacy and FIRE type topics.

Seniors have an admin block where they go to meetings with the community and academic medical directors and see what goes on on the various committees and such. Several sit-down sessions with one of our faculty who’s a med-mal expert where we’d run cases he’d defended and talk through the mechanics of what happens if/when you get sued so you’re prepared.

Overall I’d consider it an immensely valuable component of my education especially since this isn’t the standard at academic or county places at all. It wasn’t even something I was told to consider as a med student, just lucked into it.

One year they few us all to AAEM to hear McNamara and Mark Reiter talk about threats to EM and how to fight the CMGs.

Reactions: 5 users
Seems like the more academic a place is, the less they care.

I think that unless I was getting a clinical buy down, I'd rather work for USACS than a big academic place.

Seems like the more academic a place is, the less they care.

I think that unless I was getting a clinical buy down, I'd rather work for USACS than a big academic place.

*You shut your effing mouth.*

The stars indicate a good nature to the comment, but also a degree of "WTF, bro?!".

I don't know, but I read The Rape of Emergency Medicine, dug in here, and took the SDG leap of faith.

Reactions: 1 user
Truth is - most people have little choice in CMG/SDG/Hospital employee

It’s all about money, location, life/work style.

The problem is not teaching EM about choices. It is the overall house of medicine not being taught how to be a business person. Give an MBA a 400K/yr salary at age 30 and they will be out of medicine by 45. Docs have no clue/no motivation to turn that big shovel into a big fortune. They work, spend, work, spend, turn around and have to continue to work after 15 yrs.

I see this all the time. Docs don't take calculated risks. I am self taught and have 3 businesses I can live off. If someone brought me under their wings earlier, I would be that much farther ahead. Took me 10 years to learn having about 1M at age 40 and in the past 7 years have increased this many times over with passive income being the majority of my income.

Last edited:

for what it matters, at my "name brand but, lets be honest here, its just average" residency we had both formal and informal discussions about this constantly. A huge part of my residency was that the entire staff was either fully unaffiliated or was AAEM and they stressed to us that we need to make smart decisions as to whether he want to be “independent” doctors or "well paid" doctors and that you need to remember it is really hard to say no to anything once you say yes to the path of the most money and that lifetime earnings may not be all that different but lifeteam headaches will be majorly different.

with that said, most of my program still went to CMGs, but thats largely because of geographic issues related to where we trained and what opportunities existed there and in common areas we moved to.

Members don't see this ad :)

You criticize those in SDGs for sharing their experiences on an anonymous online forum, yet are upset at your academic “power house” program for failing to educate you. Your former program might not have done you any favors, but can’t say you are the most receptive audience either.

• Inappropriate
I think academic departments have been complicit in the EM employment train wreck for a long time. There are at least 3 ways academic departments worsen the employment crisis:
1) Under-educating about the business of medicine/employment models/etc
2) Training too many residents (less work for them though).
3) Allowing their wealthy academic centers to run their emergency departments with cheap resident labor instead of hiring more attendings.

Unfortunately, academics are the gatekeepers of the residencies and it is on their interest to keep pumping out more residents.

Truth is - most people have little choice in CMG/SDG/Hospital employee

It’s all about money, location, life/work style.
I would argue this isnt true in this specific order. It is really about location first.. The sdgs i am familiar with offer a much better lifestyle and much more money and they are tied together. If an academic site is 200/hr but an sdg can be 300+ the math means i can work less for the same dough hence my lifestyle is better. On top of that most sdgs have a lifestyle built in there. Nocturnists etc.

This is usually done on the merits and the Academic chair, PD, APDS dont all need special Cush shifts pushing the rest of the crappy shifts on the few. But maybe my experience is unique.

The problem is not teaching EM about choices. It is the overall house of medicine not being taught how to be a business person. Give an MBA a 400K/yr salary at age 30 and they will be out of medicine by 45. Docs have no clue/no motivation to turn that big shovel into a big fortune. They work, spend, work, spend, turn around and have to continue to work after 15 yrs.

I see this all the time. Docs don't take calculated risks. I am self taught and have 3 businesses I can live off. If someone brought me under their wings earlier, I would be that much farther ahead. Took me 10 years to learn having about 1M at age 40 and in the past 7 years have increased this many times over with passive income being the majority of my income.
The MBA has not as much debt.. on top of that lets be real honest here and I may get flamed for this.. You have to spew the medicine as a calling, i want to be a pcp nonsense to get into school. Then to get into residency you continue to talk about working for the underserved etc. At some point some portion of this has to impact some people whereby they believe this. All the while the money folks use these truths to further abuse docs and make pulp out of them.

Now that being said my main site has a significantly higher amount of self pay than the national avg. I do a ton of charity work / donate money but when I hear the hospital asking for money or free labor to make them look better i never do. Why? They wont do the basics to staff the ED to take care of people cause it takes money. They want me to donate my time and they want the credit.

I refuse to do work for free that financially benefits someone else. Want me to go to ecuador thru my church and work a week for free.. I have to buy my own airfare etc.. no problem. Want me to donate my time so you can get free advertising, go F yourself.

That being said and you know i generally agree with you.. Too many docs “aren’t into money” but then they get burnt out and need a contingency plan because money didnt matter.

I worked with one of these resdients. I helped her find a great job near her desired location. She and her hubby were like that. They didnt grow up with money and didnt feel like they were smart with money. They reached out to me to discuss. I told them… “If someone was going to give you 10-15M+ do you think it is your responsibility to learn how to manage the money”. Her eyes lit up and was like of course. I said the 2 of you will earn at least 600k a year (He wasnt a doc but had a 6 figure job) x 20 years.. thats 12m”.

The light went on.. I think financial education is not interesting to docs.. they sometimes need to understand the big picture to understand how important it is.

I’m lucky, my dad was a finance guy, I became disenchanted early enough in how i saw medicine i knew i needed to get to FI ASAP. My initial goal was age 51.. i hit FATFI well before that. Work is infinitely more enjoyable with FU money.

Reactions: 6 users
I also think there is an insane lack of knowledge about what jobs are out there and whats a good job. The beliefs that are ingrained in some people make them stupid. Some people believe you cant collect $200/pt. You cant see more than 2pph. YOu cant make more than 300/hr without being a criminal or abusing MLPs. All SDGs are gonna die. We heard all this stuff overt the past few years.

The people who say these things need to think a little deeper. There are options out there. It may require you to move, it may require working some crappy spots ahead of time. I’m not saying it is simple but as the number of “good“ jobs shrinks the difficulty of getting into them increases.

For me and what i advise my residents… Listen the workforce glut is coming. I know we see it near us, and my residents go all across the country and it is clear how much things have changed. When there are too many docs, you can work for a CMG or hospital. With the cmg they will cut pay asap, hospitals will likely move slower.. They pay based on supply/demand. SDGs pay will be unaffected or minimally so. Keep in mind when that pay goes down it is not tied to anything but supply / demand. I would hate to be doing locums as a long term career choice. Right now things are flush for many. Hard times are coming and like the saying goes…. Hard Times Create Strong Men, Strong Men Create Good Times, Good Times Create Weak Men, Weak Men Create Hard Times

We are in the Good times phase of EM… lots of weak people out there.. Hard times are coming especially for the CMG/Employed/locums crowd.

The SDGs that rode the covid storm, NSA implementation, hospital consolidation storm are still at step 1 imo, hard times created strong men.. and stepping into step 2.. again, might be controversial but thats how i see it from my view.

The MBA has not as much debt.. on top of that lets be real honest here and I may get flamed for this.. You have to spew the medicine as a calling, i want to be a pcp nonsense to get into school. Then to get into residency you continue to talk about working for the underserved etc. At some point some portion of this has to impact some people whereby they believe this. All the while the money folks use these truths to further abuse docs and make pulp out of them.

Now that being said my main site has a significantly higher amount of self pay than the national avg. I do a ton of charity work / donate money but when I hear the hospital asking for money or free labor to make them look better i never do. Why? They wont do the basics to staff the ED to take care of people cause it takes money. They want me to donate my time and they want the credit.

I refuse to do work for free that financially benefits someone else. Want me to go to ecuador thru my church and work a week for free.. I have to buy my own airfare etc.. no problem. Want me to donate my time so you can get free advertising, go F yourself.

That being said and you know i generally agree with you.. Too many docs “aren’t into money” but then they get burnt out and need a contingency plan because money didnt matter.

I worked with one of these resdients. I helped her find a great job near her desired location. She and her hubby were like that. They didnt grow up with money and didnt feel like they were smart with money. They reached out to me to discuss. I told them… “If someone was going to give you 10-15M+ do you think it is your responsibility to learn how to manage the money”. Her eyes lit up and was like of course. I said the 2 of you will earn at least 600k a year (He wasnt a doc but had a 6 figure job) x 20 years.. thats 12m”.

The light went on.. I think financial education is not interesting to docs.. they sometimes need to understand the big picture to understand how important it is.

I’m lucky, my dad was a finance guy, I became disenchanted early enough in how i saw medicine i knew i needed to get to FI ASAP. My initial goal was age 51.. i hit FATFI well before that. Work is infinitely more enjoyable with FU money.

So many good points here.

Free labor mediated free advertising. My old system wanted docs to staff their hospital branded tent at a recent event. No pay. And docs actually did it. Smh.

I try very hard to educate residents regarding finances. Most don't get it, but then will moan about their student loan balances. They'll actually choose a job based on PSLF eligibility, not realizing they can go out and use their big shovel to kill the loan in 2 years or less and get a better job.

One new grad attending asked me "Do I really need disability insurance? It sounds like a scam." Then they went and bought another Tesla.

I also think there is an insane lack of knowledge about what jobs are out there and whats a good job. The beliefs that are ingrained in some people make them stupid. Some people believe you cant collect $200/pt. You cant see more than 2pph. YOu cant make more than 300/hr without being a criminal or abusing MLPs. All SDGs are gonna die. We heard all this stuff overt the past few years.

The people who say these things need to think a little deeper. There are options out there. It may require you to move, it may require working some crappy spots ahead of time. I’m not saying it is simple but as the number of “good“ jobs shrinks the difficulty of getting into them increases.

For me and what i advise my residents… Listen the workforce glut is coming. I know we see it near us, and my residents go all across the country and it is clear how much things have changed. When there are too many docs, you can work for a CMG or hospital. With the cmg they will cut pay asap, hospitals will likely move slower.. They pay based on supply/demand. SDGs pay will be unaffected or minimally so. Keep in mind when that pay goes down it is not tied to anything but supply / demand. I would hate to be doing locums as a long term career choice. Right now things are flush for many. Hard times are coming and like the saying goes…. Hard Times Create Strong Men, Strong Men Create Good Times, Good Times Create Weak Men, Weak Men Create Hard Times

We are in the Good times phase of EM… lots of weak people out there.. Hard times are coming especially for the CMG/Employed/locums crowd.

The SDGs that rode the covid storm, NSA implementation, hospital consolidation storm are still at step 1 imo, hard times created strong men.. and stepping into step 2.. again, might be controversial but thats how i see it from my view.

The "all SDGs are gonna die" is such a common trope over the last 10 years. The SDG I joined is expanding and raised pay for pre-partners. My joining is a calculated risk / leap of faith, but I have a suspicion that it will work out (fingers crossed).

I've worked for a CMG. They make reactionary snap decisions and dare you to leave if you don't like it. If you leave, it's cool; it's all business to them. You are interchangeable with any other doc or (increasingly) midlevel. Your treatment seems to be site dependent. High payor mix sites appear to get better doc treatment. I'm sure that'll go away with worsening supply / demand however.

Look. The writing is on the wall for the hospital employed folks. The changes are slower, more insidious, than with a CMG. It's the frog in the pot of boiling water phenomenon. At my old gig the pattern was: something changes --> people pissed --> time passes --> people forget --> something changes --> repeat. It's stable work and breeds complacency. Complacency is what I saw when I looked around at my co-attendings. An attitude of "welp I guess I'll do this for 25 years, then retire (maybe), and die...it beats working for Envision!" Meanwhile pay stagnates, resolving door of midlevels that you have no control over hiring / firing goes brrrrr, more new grads, pay stagnates, etc etc.

You are essentially Echoing my point. 400K loans doesn't change the thesis if you are making 400K. You can wipe out 400K loans in 3 years and still live a great life but most docs don't chose to. Even if you want to pay over typical 10 yrs, its $4500 or $55K/yr. Even with this, you still have about 250K take home.

This is why we need to be educated. Medicine is a job #1 and a calling #2. If your calling is to help people, then you would do 10X more good finishing college and joining a mission. Docs who says its a calling is just trying to make themselves feel or appear better than everyone else. Volunteering in a 3rd world country mission is infinitely more giving than being a doctor with a 400K salary. 99% of docs who says its a calling #1 is lying to themselves because if they reduced their salary to teacher's wages, they would be out of that calling.

With this said, Docs have a huge shovel and if we were taught in med school to treat our job as a business, there would be much left burn out. Once you get a 400K salary, start on an exit plan. Create passive income, FIRE and you will have very little burn out because you work b/c you want to work and not have to work. Two docs working the same amount of hours with one needing to work vs one wanting to work is a huge mental difference. Once you hit FIRE, life just becomes many times more enjoyable doing the same things.

I was an attending at 27. Cleared my 100K loan in a year, debt free at 28 making 400K/yr. After 15 yrs at age 43, I had a net worth of about 1M, 2M if you include my home having just my 1099 Work income. Quite pathetic looking back, and have no idea where the money went. In 7 years afer, I have increased my net worth many times over once I figured out to make my money work, taking calculated risk. My income is 70% passive. I can stop working tomorrow but working is 10x more fun when you don't need to work. I wish I could turn back the clock and started this at 28 because I would prob be pushing 30-50M net worth. MBAs have my past 7 yrs mentality. Docs think like my first 15 years.

I preach to docs all the time on how to do it, but some still have analysis by paralysis or risk adverse. The most important driver of future wealth is your shovel, and not many have a docs shovel.

Last edited:
Agreed with both you above. I have been lucky to earn a lot, save a lot and spend a lot. I invest boringly but wisely. I have my hand in a side biz, Real estate and some alternative investments. Most of my dough is in the market. I have a little play fund and speculate on some specific stocks but this is tiny.

I am pretty financially savvy but to make my wife happy we got a financial advisor. My cost with them is under 40bps and proabbly closer to 30bps. I’m too Lazy to calculate this To an exact number. I have found every legal pretax loophole And i max it all out.

HSA, 401k/psp, backdoor roth and my favorite the CB/DB plan. Thats the gasoline on the FI fire.

At my program which is a hybrid community-academic, they emphasize the living **** out of academics. Appears that nationally EM residents this graduating class decided to not do fellowship and our chair gave our class + the rest of our national graduating class **** about it. Yet for a program that is in a less-than-desirable location, they are only hiring academic fellowship trained people and the majority of attendings are inbred from our system.

We literally had one attending tell us "yeah I did academics, did a shift buy down to 0.8FTE in the dept and 0.2FTE academics, but i put in way more in academics and work >1.0 FTE......BUT I"M HAPPY!!" *as they twitch their eye*. When people from our class decided to do community > academics, the nature of conversation from program leadership changed drastically and those that stuck around and did academics were the golden children in the eyes of some in our program and the rest were just push em thru till they graduate. Blows my mind yet they complain about not staffing our ED enough and everybody else working more AND taking a paycut. Trash

HSA, 401k/psp, backdoor roth and my favorite the CB/DB plan. Thats the gasoline on the FI fire.
Tell me about the CB/DB plan. Always thought about this, never jumped in. I max out my 55K+ SEP. I can contribute 2-300K a year. I believe there is a cost of 3K or so to set up through my CPA and it would just be me in the plan. I believe tax deductible, but what can I invest in?

Is it like an IRA where I can do whatever stocks/Funds. Can I do Accredited investing? Real estate?

If you don't buy whole life insurance after residency, you are good.

Tell me about the CB/DB plan. Always thought about this, never jumped in. I max out my 55K+ SEP. I can contribute 2-300K a year. I believe there is a cost of 3K or so to set up through my CPA and it would just be me in the plan. I believe tax deductible, but what can I invest in?

Is it like an IRA where I can do whatever stocks/Funds. Can I do Accredited investing? Real estate?

For a one person plan you can invest in whatever you want to. The question is the money in there is not suppose to be super risky but rather a steady 4-6%. If your stock goes down in half you'll be on the hook to put that difference back into the fund plus whatever is due for that year. Some run it for 3 year blocks end the plan and roll it into the IRA speaking of which you can't have a sep you'd have to convert it to solo 401k. The ones i looked at first year costs are about 5k plus a recurring 3k-3500 but all is tax deductible. Also it will reduce how much you can invest into the 401k which is currently like 66 or 69k by about 25k so you can only maximally deduct 42 k if the max was 66k for example.

Most docs don't understand how powerful their purchasing power is.

Frankly, it's not difficult to understand how to make your money works for you.

The system overall does a terrible job in educating people financially.

I was amazed that a few of my colleagues dont know anything about the stock market etc...

I had an attending of three years when I started as an attending who told me all his money is in the bank and the stock market is a casino.

I went from a net worth of 450-500k to over 1 mil after 2 yrs and 5 months as a hospitalist. I have not done anything special. I just don't waste my money.

Last edited:

So mine is run thru my group but we agreed to be aggressive in the market. If you do it yourself I think there is substantially more opportunity. At around 50 years of age you can do about 200k a year on top of the SEP. It is all pre tax. Lots of ways to set up a Cb plan.

For a one person plan you can invest in whatever you want to. The question is the money in there is not suppose to be super risky but rather a steady 4-6%. If your stock goes down in half you'll be on the hook to put that difference back into the fund plus whatever is due for that year. Some run it for 3 year blocks end the plan and roll it into the IRA speaking of which you can't have a sep you'd have to convert it to solo 401k. The ones i looked at first year costs are about 5k plus a recurring 3k-3500 but all is tax deductible. Also it will reduce how much you can invest into the 401k which is currently like 66 or 69k by about 25k so you can only maximally deduct 42 k if the max was 66k for example.
Might be true in a solo plan but our group plan allows us the 69k max plus the CB plan on top of that. One downside of shutting it down is it will limit how much you can put in later.

The irony is that most academic docs love to get on the soapbox about the atrocities of CMGs and the importance of job choice but they are the last ones to suggest or make attempts to reduce residency class sizes to help out with saturation of the job market which leads to reduction in job choices. (Generalization, not pointing to anyone specific in this thread.)

And honestly…I don’t even know how many academic docs truly have much insight. I came from a heavily “pro SDG” residency but most of the academic docs had never even been in one. They were lifelong academic docs In a hospital employee based business model. I can think of a few that had worked 2-5 years in private practice and then came back to the ivory tower because they couldn’t hack it. Most of the younger ones had gone straight from residency into academics.

The problem with going straight into an SDG from residency is that you are unlikely to get anywhere near as good loan repayment offers. CMGs have much more liquidity and larger golden coffers to where they can easily sling around these 100-150K 2-3y commitment offers. Most SDGs are doing much smaller sign ons and they are more keenly felt as it is coming directly out of their profit distribution pool and/or operational expenses which is essentially the same thing. For that reason alone I’d probably recommend that residents don’t even worry about the business model until they have paid off their loans. Just take the best offer that allows them to pay their loans down the fastest. THEN they can get all righteous and ideological with EM business models.

The irony is that most academic docs love to get on the soapbox about the atrocities of CMGs and the importance of job choice but they are the last ones to suggest or make attempts to reduce residency class sizes to help out with saturation of the job market which leads to reduction in job choices. (Generalization, not pointing to anyone specific in this thread.)

And honestly…I don’t even know how many academic docs truly have much insight. I came from a heavily “pro SDG” residency but most of the academic docs had never even been in one. They were lifelong academic docs In a hospital employee based business model. I can think of a few that had worked 2-5 years in private practice and then came back to the ivory tower because they couldn’t hack it. Most of the younger ones had gone straight from residency into academics.

The problem with going straight into an SDG from residency is that you are unlikely to get anywhere near as good loan repayment offers. CMGs have much more liquidity and larger golden coffers to where they can easily sling around these 100-150K 2-3y commitment offers. Most SDGs are doing much smaller sign ons and they are more keenly felt as it is coming directly out of their profit distribution pool and/or operational expenses which is essentially the same thing. For that reason alone I’d probably recommend that residents don’t even worry about the business model until they have paid off their loans. Just take the best offer that allows them to pay their loans down the fastest. THEN they can get all righteous and ideological with EM business models.

Honestly unless you're carrying one of these mega loan balances like 400k+ you should be focussing on job quality over PSLF. Carrying 250k and having a 10 year forgiveness horizon is such a pleb mindset. It ends up influencing a lot of things like tax filing status, mortgage eligibility, etc. Use you shovel and pay it off.

Anyone who graduated in EM 10+ years ago should be golden financially with what the housing and stock markets have done. The houses you bought around that time were such insane deals. Likewise for the SP500. And those are just the safe/easy investments.

Those of us who have graduated since COVID just have it rough. I was lucky enough to get a house at a 2 something interest rate. I can't see moving any time soon. It's just horrible for those graduating right now. Inflation, housing costs, interest rates, debt, income stagnation. It's rough out there. Y'all who were in a decade+ earlier were in the golden age. I hope you took advantage.

Many large sign on bonuses come with lower hourly rates. It’s not just free money.

I paid my loans off within 1.5 years by working hard and paying off aggressively. The other option is to refinance at a lower rate and shoot for making more with investing than the refinanced rate. I personally didn’t want student loan debt hanging order my head even if possibly advantageous to utilize debt.

Jumping at the sign on bonus without looking at the full picture is short sighted. Sometimes the long term play offers significantly higher financial reward.

Anyone telling you to consider loan forgiveness over making bank doesn't know what they are talking about unless the offers are very close in gross pay. Making 400k always trumps some 250-275 with loan payment recap unless some unusual unicorn offers

Anyone telling you to consider loan forgiveness over making bank doesn't know what they are talking about unless the offers are very close in gross pay. Making 400k always trumps some 250-275 with loan payment recap unless some unusual unicorn offers
I think Loan forgiveness for a Doc is a a risky option. Who knows if it would be forgiven in 10 years. The gov could pull the program, create some extra hurdles, plus its the golden handcuffs. If you have 400K, spend 4 years and just pay it off. If its 1M, then its a different calculus but for most docs it makes little sense to me.

So mine is run thru my group but we agreed to be aggressive in the market. If you do it yourself I think there is substantially more opportunity. At around 50 years of age you can do about 200k a year on top of the SEP. It is all pre tax. Lots of ways to set up a Cb plan.
Thanks, I am going to seriously look into this. I am right at 50, and would love to sock away 200K on top of my Max Sep. Sep can go into the market, and if my CB allows accredited investing esp RE then I am in.

Honestly unless you're carrying one of these mega loan balances like 400k+ you should be focussing on job quality over PSLF. Carrying 250k and having a 10 year forgiveness horizon is such a pleb mindset. It ends up influencing a lot of things like tax filing status, mortgage eligibility, etc. Use you shovel and pay it off.
I’m not talking loan forgiveness, I’m talking loan repayment sign on bonuses. CMG will pay 100K in loan repayment in exchange for 2-3 year commitment. Why on earth would you not take that money assuming compensation is reasonably commensurate? Screw job quality. Get the loans paid off ASAP and then they can focus on the perfect job.

At my program which is a hybrid community-academic, they emphasize the living **** out of academics. Appears that nationally EM residents this graduating class decided to not do fellowship and our chair gave our class + the rest of our national graduating class **** about it. Yet for a program that is in a less-than-desirable location, they are only hiring academic fellowship trained people and the majority of attendings are inbred from our system.

We literally had one attending tell us "yeah I did academics, did a shift buy down to 0.8FTE in the dept and 0.2FTE academics, but i put in way more in academics and work >1.0 FTE......BUT I"M HAPPY!!" *as they twitch their eye*. When people from our class decided to do community > academics, the nature of conversation from program leadership changed drastically and those that stuck around and did academics were the golden children in the eyes of some in our program and the rest were just push em thru till they graduate. Blows my mind yet they complain about not staffing our ED enough and everybody else working more AND taking a paycut. Trash
I will say there is something to be said for that academics can be pretty fun and while the hours worked are not paid back at the same pay scale as grinding out patients in the pit there are some people who just find it an enjoyable experience.

Personally I love teaching, love running sim cases with residents, POCUS labs, small groups, board prep, career advising, etc. It’s low stress, interesting, no ones gonna get sued or die - no wonder it doesn’t pay as well as clinical EM. It’s a reasonable way to go for some people.

What are the calculated risks a new grad doc should take now? Looking around it feels like a lot of the opportunity has dried up over the past 10 years.

I’m not talking loan forgiveness, I’m talking loan repayment sign on bonuses. CMG will pay 100K in loan repayment in exchange for 2-3 year commitment. Why on earth would you not take that money assuming compensation is reasonably commensurate? Screw job quality. Get the loans paid off ASAP and then they can focus on the perfect job.

Which ones offer this?

All I know about are the mediocre signing bonuses. 50k/yr type stuff OR some kind of loan repayment....not both.

A time gated loan repayment option is essentially a type of signing bonus.

The only one I've heard of doing this is USACS which is a non starter anyway.

What are the calculated risks a new grad doc should take now? Looking around it feels like a lot of the opportunity has dried up over the past 10 years.
Opportunities never dry up. 10 yrs ago, people said the same. In 10 yrs, people will say the same.

#1 - pay off your loan
#2 - Max a Sep if you can. Just throw it into the S&P if you have no idea or some vanguard/fidelity tech fund
#3 - Save up 100+K then start to decide what you are interested in. Think RE, opening up a business, accredited investing.
#4 - Be a good person and make connections. Pick up golf. Connections will open many doors for you.
#5 - Don't be scared to take risks. You have a big shovel and can afford mistakes

Reactions: 5 users
The value of PSLF depends on your loan balance, earning potential, and length of training.

If you assume that all of your residency/fellowship counts towards the 10 year forgiveness period (which I don't think HCA residences qualify for) then EM only gets 3 years of low payments in training. On the other hand, surgical subspecialties, radiology, etc are 6-7 years. After just 3-4 years of attending work you get the loans forgiven.

Right now there is a loophole which allows many jobs to qualify in CA and TX that otherwise would not qualify. White Coat Investor had an article about this last year.

I have seen many radiology private practices, all making 600k+, state in their job postings that they qualify for PSLF. Kaiser jobs also qualify, at least in CA.
This one in Los Angeles qualifies even as 1099.

You guys in EM get less of a benefit mainly because your training period is much shorter. Your minimum payments will be higher during that 10 year period since most of it will be on attending pay.

I think most of the “loan repayment” stuff is just shiny advertising. The right way to think about this is in $/hr.

Over 3 years the 100k is probably like $20/hr assuming as a new grad you work roughly 1700 hours a year.

1700x3= 5100

It’s not that huge of a deal and often those jobs suck, tie you to them in various manners.

Also keep in mind that loan repayment is still taxed like income. So yes it’s real money and counts much more that 90% of the nonsense usacs benefits but it’s not as much as it seems to be imo.

Same thing was said 10 years ago.

I’ll relay the brief version of what I tell my residents.

1) find a job with an sdg, their pay will be more stable ( if they survived thus far) than a cmg. Find the best situation for you here.
2) if you don’t have this option Earn as much as possible and pay off debts asap in a location you want. The challenge in the future when we have too many docs won’t just be for new grads. The challenge will also be for anyone looking to change jobs and will be much harder if you want to move cities/states.

3) as emergent said invest that money like crazy. Do RE or whatever but make investing your money some type of hobby. Need to be able to replace your income.

4) regardless of job live as if your salary is no more than 150k. Live on no more than 10k post tax a month and use the rest for loans and investments.

Do this for 4-5 years while working hard and earning a lot and life will look a lot different in 5 years.

People are really really bad with simple math.

I know attendings in their 40s and 50s that are STILL paying off student loans.

I can see the logic of your loan was 2% and you diverted cash flow to a higher return instrument....but these are not those types of people lol.

Just be good at simple math. Things like 8% is greater than 2%.

I am a boring investor. FSKAX, VTSAX in Roth, 403b, solo 401k, 529 etc. treasuries / money market for short term cash deployment. Just shovel that shyt in. I am looking forward to taking advantage of the CBP available to me at my new SDG.

Same thing was said 10 years ago.

I’ll relay the brief version of what I tell my residents.

1) find a job with an sdg, their pay will be more stable ( if they survived thus far) than a cmg. Find the best situation for you here.
2) if you don’t have this option Earn as much as possible and pay off debts asap in a location you want. The challenge in the future when we have too many docs won’t just be for new grads. The challenge will also be for anyone looking to change jobs and will be much harder if you want to move cities/states.

3) as emergent said invest that money like crazy. Do RE or whatever but make investing your money some type of hobby. Need to be able to replace your income.

4) regardless of job live as if your salary is no more than 150k. Live on no more than 10k post tax a month and use the rest for loans and investments.

Do this for 4-5 years while working hard and earning a lot and life will look a lot different in 5 years.
Oh man. I did all this for a while. Couldn't find any SDGs, but earning as much as I can. Had one kid and still lived off around 10k/mo. Now it's been almost 5 years and having two more kids. So needed a house. Prices already jumped before we got in, so now that 10k is quickly looking like 18k.

Oh man. I did all this for a while. Couldn't find any SDGs, but earning as much as I can. Had one kid and still lived off around 10k/mo. Now it's been almost 5 years and having two more kids. So needed a house. Prices already jumped before we got in, so now that 10k is quickly looking like 18k.

Me too, wife and I lived VERY modestly for about 7-8 years out and I just don't have it in me anymore. But it set me up really well and I could basically stop contributing to my retirement now and probably retire in 15 years. Also got lucky with getting out of residency when I did and paid off loans quickly.

I just don't have it in me to cut and do without anymore. We did that through med school and residency and when I was young. I'll just keep working and periodically buy real estate, pay off debt etc. Life is too short to miss out when you do what we do and make our salaries.

But the cost of everything these days is absolutely insane, particularly housing and vehicles. It's just crazy. I joke that I couldn't afford my own house now but it's probably true.

I think most of the “loan repayment” stuff is just shiny advertising. The right way to think about this is in $/hr.

Over 3 years the 100k is probably like $20/hr assuming as a new grad you work roughly 1700 hours a year.

1700x3= 5100

It’s not that huge of a deal and often those jobs suck, tie you to them in various manners.

Also keep in mind that loan repayment is still taxed like income. So yes it’s real money and counts much more that 90% of the nonsense usacs benefits but it’s not as much as it seems to be imo.
50K a year may not seem like a big deal to some, but it's a big deal to me and it should be a big deal to a new grad who needs to pay down their loans immediately and escape the 7% interest albatross around their neck. If they do an SDG, more times than not, they are going to enter a sweat equity partnership track with no sign on whatsoever.

Plus, not every CMG is a USACS dumpster fire. The CMG jobs over in my area are not bad at all and compensation is still in the top 5% nation wide. And let's get real...every hospital system/ED has their own baggage. It's not like an SDG protects you from that so it's no guarantee you are going to love the job. That's still a huge unknown for a new grad.

Last edited:
If I were a new graduate and single, I would find a decent job that pays 4-500K/yr. Pay off debt and save 200K/yr. There will be some really good RE buying opportunities. Put 200K down onto a 600K property. When rates drop in the next 2 yrs, refinance it and that 600k Property will be probably 800K.

People are really really bad with simple math.

I know attendings in their 40s and 50s that are STILL paying off student loans.

I can see the logic of your loan was 2% and you diverted cash flow to a higher return instrument....but these are not those types of people lol.

Just be good at simple math. Things like 8% is greater than 2%.

I am a boring investor. FSKAX, VTSAX in Roth, 403b, solo 401k, 529 etc. treasuries / money market for short term cash deployment. Just shovel that shyt in. I am looking forward to taking advantage of the CBP available to me at my new SDG.
Hey.. i resemble this remark. I’m in my 40s. I’m FI.. i owe over 100k in loans. My payment is 1k a month. Rate is under 2%.. been out 10+ years.. the market has been good to me. COVID also allowed my employer to pay $5k a year in tax free payments vs my loans. The “everyone must do x” is never the right advice. Personal finance is personal. Sure there is nothing wrong with hitting the “easy” button and that will be fine but people who know a little bit about money can be a lot smarter and max things out for themselves.