mellyrara

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Status
I am sure this has been brought up before but since I didn't see it in the first section of posts then I am being lazy and writing it again. Why is Calculus II a pre-req? For those pharmacy students out there, do you ever use it or see it in your studies? Most med and pharm schools don't require it but UCSD and UCSF do, any idea why?? Thank you, I just really want to know the rationale. If I am going to see it later on then I can understand why I am currently taking it.

ZpackSux

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
Dallas, TX
Status
Because, it's important for you to triple integrate a function to calculate the volume of an irregularly shaped object. I use it daily.

Gauden44

./.|.\.|./.|.\.|./.|.\.
10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2006
Status
There are a lot of courses you don't need in college. Just gotta learn to deal with it I suppose +pissed+.

About the Ads

[email protected]

druggist_2_be
10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2006
Bay Area
www.myspace.com
Status
Pharmacy Student
ZpackSux said:
Because, it's important for you to triple integrate a function to calculate the volume of an irregularly shaped object. I use it daily.

LOL. I think it really sucks that they require cal II. I'm applying to both UCSF and UCSD and I already took Cal I during my sophmore year. I have to take Cal II next year, in the summer, if I get accepted to either school. Having taking Cal I (I did well in it too), i'm not looking forward to Cal II. It's just a boring subject :sleep: , no practical use in real life.

patmcd

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2006
Southern US
Status
Pharmacist
Its not so much the math itself SOP's are interested in, its the critical thinking skills and such that a course like that teaches.

patmcd

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2006
Southern US
Status
Pharmacist
letjin said:
To help you take physics, if that is a prerequisite at your pharm school...
That would be true if you had to take calculus based physics. But most schools just say some sort of physics, not calculus based.

KM86

10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
what are the math subjects in the pharmacy program? not the prereqs...

ZpackSux

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
Dallas, TX
Status
KM86 said:

You'll need to know ln (natural log) since drug elimination follows a ln function.

ttran01

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
i like calculus 2...it's probably my favorite class so far in college. i took the calculus for the life sciences :)

dgroulx

Night Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
Woodinville, Washington
Status
Pharmacist
KM86 said:
Pharmacokinetics is the major math class.

pharmwannebe2

10+ Year Member
May 22, 2006
Flipadelphia, PA
Status
Pharmacy Student
mellyrara said:
I am sure this has been brought up before but since I didn't see it in the first section of posts then I am being lazy and writing it again. Why is Calculus II a pre-req? For those pharmacy students out there, do you ever use it or see it in your studies? Most med and pharm schools don't require it but UCSD and UCSF do, any idea why?? Thank you, I just really want to know the rationale. If I am going to see it later on then I can understand why I am currently taking it.
i dunno how high of a ranking UCSD is. but UCSF is high on the ranking list. i think a lot of high ranking pharmacy schools require Calc 2. Purdue requires calc 2 for pre-pharm because they are trying to weed out the students to try and decide which ones are smart enough for their pharmacy school.

About the Ads