Why can I see black light? (I mean really see it)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Indigno

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a question that the internet has thus far failed to answer for me. A little bit of history:

I was born with a cataract in my right eye. When I was approximately one and a half, I had some experimental surgery performed on it. I do not know what the official name of it is, but I believe the laymen's term for it was "living lens". I also know that one of the few places it was tested was in Denver. It was special because it allowed the cataract to be corrected, but I didn't have to go through any of the follow-up surgeries that often accompany cataract care in early childhood. While the operation was technically a success (the eye is physically healthy, although the color of my eye changed after the operation) I had passed the critical period in my visual development to be able to fully use my right eye. My vision out of my "blind eye" is essentially peripheral vision with color and a bit more shape recognition. I can pick out certain details with my eye, however I can't read or recognize faces.

A year or two ago I noticed that I can "see" black light out of my blind eye. I noticed this on an amusement park ride that was blacklit. I noticed that when I closed my good eye, the room appeared to be lit in an indescribable shade of radiant purplish-blue. I can see more detail out of my blind eye under a black light than with normal lighting, too. I know that this is abnormal, because I have a good eye to compare it to. When i got home, I did some more little tests on my eye, and I noticed that certain things that don't normally appear to glow under a black light did when viewed through my blind eye.

What really sealed the deal for me, however, was that I discovered that this effect does not happen when I look through my glasses. This is significant because my glasses have UV protection. Is it possible that I am actually sensing low-frequency UV light? If so, how is this possible? If not, then what am I perceiving?

I am not here to pull anyone's leg, this is something that I have been curious about for a while now, and it has been frustrating that I haven't been able to find any information whatsoever about this. I have moved around a bit, so I haven't had a chance to see my ophthalmologist, and I also haven't been able to afford to schedule an appointment with him just to have a curiosity satisfied.

Members don't see this ad.

This entire thread may be closed soon, due to it's quasi-medical advice nature. But here's a thought from a totally uninformed, non-medical person. Do not construe this as any form of medical advice.

"Black" light is actually UVA light. It's a lower frequency than other UV lights. So, perhaps your cataract didn't block all light frequencies equally and some low frequency UVA light was allowed through. In that case, maybe your brain was programmed to see UVA light effectively enough that you can now see objects more clearly via UVA reflections than via the visible light spectrum.

So I have a question that the internet has thus far failed to answer for me. A little bit of history:

I was born with a cataract in my right eye. When I was approximately one and a half, I had some experimental surgery performed on it. I do not know what the official name of it is, but I believe the laymen's term for it was "living lens". I also know that one of the few places it was tested was in Denver. It was special because it allowed the cataract to be corrected, but I didn't have to go through any of the follow-up surgeries that often accompany cataract care in early childhood. While the operation was technically a success (the eye is physically healthy, although the color of my eye changed after the operation) I had passed the critical period in my visual development to be able to fully use my right eye. My vision out of my "blind eye" is essentially peripheral vision with color and a bit more shape recognition. I can pick out certain details with my eye, however I can't read or recognize faces.

A year or two ago I noticed that I can "see" black light out of my blind eye. I noticed this on an amusement park ride that was blacklit. I noticed that when I closed my good eye, the room appeared to be lit in an indescribable shade of radiant purplish-blue. I can see more detail out of my blind eye under a black light than with normal lighting, too. I know that this is abnormal, because I have a good eye to compare it to. When i got home, I did some more little tests on my eye, and I noticed that certain things that don't normally appear to glow under a black light did when viewed through my blind eye.

What really sealed the deal for me, however, was that I discovered that this effect does not happen when I look through my glasses. This is significant because my glasses have UV protection. Is it possible that I am actually sensing low-frequency UV light? If so, how is this possible? If not, then what am I perceiving?

I am not here to pull anyone's leg, this is something that I have been curious about for a while now, and it has been frustrating that I haven't been able to find any information whatsoever about this. I have moved around a bit, so I haven't had a chance to see my ophthalmologist, and I also haven't been able to afford to schedule an appointment with him just to have a curiosity satisfied.

No medical advice intended here.

I doubt you are actually seeing the blacklight wavelengths in the UV band. You may be getting diffraction from your cataract, the lower part of which spectrum may be in the violet visible-light band. If the incoming UV is filtered out, as would be the case by a spectacle lens, then there would be no violet light seen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming you don't have anything "bad" happening to your eye, I have another longshot guess, sounds like you have no central vision and may be using only the peripheral vision in your bad eye. That being the case, your peripheral retina is populated with rods that are more sensitive to low light conditions. Regardless, with a history like yours you need regular follow-up. Go get it checked.

SDN is not intended for medical advice or patient consultation. Consult a medical professional. Closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.