-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Why can't Pharmacies have high school interns?
Started by FantasyVesperia
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
I always wanted to know this, but why don't pharmacies have high school interns? I remembered when I wanted to become a pharmacist/pharmacy tech and they wouldn't let high school students intern only undergraduates, or pharmacy students.
It may have more to do with being under 18, but I don't really know beyond that.
One of my friends from high school works at a pharmacy. He is a pharmacy technician, and he was able to work during high school. It is probably more the policy of that pharmacy rather than in the industry.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted346323
I always wanted to know this, but why don't pharmacies have high school interns? I remembered when I wanted to become a pharmacist/pharmacy tech and they wouldn't let high school students intern only undergraduates, or pharmacy students.
In the pharmacy world, intern refers to a student who has been accepted to and is enrolled in a Doctor of Pharmacy program and is licensed as a pharmacy intern in their state. You have to be enrolled in a Pharm.D. program to be eligible for licensure.
In the pharmacy world, intern refers to a student who has been accepted to and is enrolled in a Doctor of Pharmacy program and is licensed as a pharmacy intern in their state. You have to be enrolled in a Pharm.D. program to be eligible for licensure.
Oh okay that makes sense. It'll be cool for high school students to help out though. You never know, I probably would've been more interested in pharmacy if I got the proper experience at a retail etc.
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
You might try a hospital pharmacy.Oh okay that makes sense. It'll be cool for high school students to help out though. You never know, I probably would've been more interested in pharmacy if I got the proper experience at a retail etc.
You might try a hospital pharmacy.
I'll check there. But I have another question, (sorry) I'm already interning at a vet hospital, and interested in going into vet. medicine, is it common for students to venture out of their chosen field to experience something else. What I'm trying to say is, I would like to intern for a pharmacist to see if I'm still interested, is this okay?
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
I'll check there. But I have another question, (sorry) I'm already interning at a vet hospital, and interested in going into vet. medicine, is it common for students to venture out of their chosen field to experience something else. What I'm trying to say is, I would like to intern for a pharmacist to see if I'm still interested, is this okay?
They won't know unless you tell them, and they likely won't care even if they do
I actually work at Walgreens as a Pharmacy Technician and I'm still in High School.
Sent from my iPod touch using SDN Mobile app
How old are you and how did you ask them?
How old are you and how did you ask them?
I'm 18 now but I was 17 when they gave me the job. My teacher knew the pharmacy manager and told me about a job opening.
Sent from my iPod touch using SDN Mobile app
I'm 18 now but I was 17 when they gave me the job. My teacher knew the pharmacy manager and told me about a job opening.
Sent from my iPod touch using SDN Mobile app
So I should just call a bunch of pharmacies and ask them if they have a job opening as a pharmacy technician? Should I tell them my age?
I thought pharmacy technicians need 2 years of training, and a high school diploma?
I checked Walgreens and they allow high school interns a pharmacy technician. I'll probably get into this after my vet. internship.
I checked Walgreens and they allow high school interns a pharmacy technician. I'll probably get into this after my vet. internship.
So I should just call a bunch of pharmacies and ask them if they have a job opening as a pharmacy technician? Should I tell them my age?
Yes I would do both. I would also go talk to them in person.
Sent from my iPod touch using SDN Mobile app
I thought pharmacy technicians need 2 years of training, and a high school diploma?
I checked Walgreens and they allow high school interns a pharmacy technician. I'll probably get into this after my vet. internship.
Not necessarily, all you need is a pharmacy technician license from your states board of pharmacy to legally work behind the counter. You need your diploma for certification but you don't necessarily need certification to work in a pharmacy.
Sent from my iPod touch using SDN Mobile app
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh okay, that makes sense.
I'll check there. But I have another question, (sorry) I'm already interning at a vet hospital, and interested in going into vet. medicine, is it common for students to venture out of their chosen field to experience something else. What I'm trying to say is, I would like to intern for a pharmacist to see if I'm still interested, is this okay?
I would say it's better to figure out what you like and dislike now than later.
Since you still have at least another year or two left in high school, if I'm not mistaken, then you're way ahead of the curve by figuring out what you'd like to do this early. Most people in my class had no idea what they wanted to do by graduation.
Almost every experience is a good one; explore your interests!
I would say it's better to figure out what you like and dislike now than later.
Since you still have at least another year or two left in high school, if I'm not mistaken, then you're way ahead of the curve by figuring out what you'd like to do this early. Most people in my class had no idea what they wanted to do by graduation.
Almost every experience is a good one; explore your interests!
Thanks so much.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 5K