Why can't they tell decision over the phone!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lisa13579

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just need to vent here. It's been almost 10 weeks since I interviewed at a particular school and I called today to find out if a decision has been made. One has, but they can't tell me over the phone. I just don't get that. Why can't they tell us over the phone? Does anyone know? Does it take too much time if everyone is calling to check after their interview?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Members don't see this ad.

foremost, they don't really know if it is you. time etc... is a factor, but secondary to that.

What school is it?

Some schools refuse to give out decisions over the phone when the decisions are unfavorable (waitlist or rejection). It's just too awkward to tell the news over the phone.

However, there are schools that won't give out decisions regardless of what it is. Georgetown comes to mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's Drexel. I'm almost positive it's their policy to not give decisions over the phone.

confidentiality... there is specifically some act protecting students confidentiality, at least here in michigan anyways.

i wouldnt be surprised if it was downstate... esentially the same situation is happening with me. and yeah, it sucks.

hey lisa if it makes you feel better, i called also to check my status at drexel and they said a decision had been made but they coudlnt tell me over the phone, and she said to wait because a letter is in the mail, and one day later i got my acceptance packet from them....so stay positive!!!

Thanks everyone, I just needed to vent cause I'm so anxious to find out if I got in or not. Hopefully it's good news, but either way, at least I'll know soon. Luckily I have other acceptances, which is great, but my SO is in Philly, hence the anxiousness :)

then again, wake had no problem telling me i was waitlisted over the phone, nor did case have a problem telling me i got in. its a school by school thing

lisa if you are in at the chicago schools why would you go to drexel?

My bf is doing his residency in Philadelphia, I'm 27 and want to give the relationship as much of a chance as possible. We've been together 2 years, it's serious, and I'm sick of the long distance thing. Hopefully it's the right decision... and I have to take a chance. :scared:

Well, Drexel gave me a decision over the phone after I called to ask a totally different question - I wasn't even looking for a decision. How ironic. Anyway, best of luck, Lisa.

hey lisa,
my decision is in the mail too. the adcom met on my app thursday (april fools day).

this waiting is making me so anxious!!! i've also got ties to the philly area. i'll cross my fingers that we'll soon be classmates!

good luck to you...

thanks nibrocli, you'll have let me know if you get good news :)

Not to be neurotic, lol, but did they say when the letters were mailed?

Originally posted by lisa13579
Not to be neurotic, lol, but did they say when the letters were mailed?

you think you're neurotic? wait till you meet me!! i've been afraid to call lisa cifelli in case she tells me they can't give out decisions over the phone...b/c then i'd go nuts & assume it was a rejection.

adcom meets every thurs, those decisions go out the following monday, and over the phone they tell you the letters go out "by tuesday." so, we can assume our letters went out today.