Why choose DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benb2099

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some advantages of choosing DO over MD? Any statistics on the number who choose DO because they couldn't get into MD or werent quite competitive enough? Just curious of some people's reasons for choosing the DO over MD. Ive read some articles on DO, but most have the exact same information copied and pasted into them. Where do DO's typically practice? Hospitals or private practice?

Members don't see this ad.

Some advantages of DO

-In state tuition if at a state school

-OMM if you really want to do PM&R, want to have cash only Cush practice in OMM/FP. Want to do FP but want to make more money then a standard FP

Some Cons
-Some residencies hard to get as a DO, but the flip side is if you cant get it as a DO student, you probabally wont be able to get it as a MD student

-Rotations at community hospitals third year (can actually be benificial if used it wisely)

*sigh*

www.aacom.org

They have all the same practice rights as MDs, and are found in all the same settings as MDs.

DOs learn OMM (a treatment similar to chiropractic techniques). The philosophy of DO schools is to focus on how structure of the human body affects its function, and vice versa. Also the philosophy emphasizes treating the patient (health-awareness) rather than just treating diseases. They take all the same classes as MDs, and take a comparable board exam.

A greater % of DO students (compared to MD students) go into some primary care specialty, and DO schools are much less research-oriented than are MD schools. Most DO schools offer dual DO/masters programs, but only a few offer the dual DO/PhD programs, and these are in general much less developed than the dual PhD/MD programs in allopathic schools.

Drawbacks-there are not enough high-quality osteopathic residencies (post-graduate training programs) to accomodate the growing numbers osteopathic medical school graduates. Hence, many DOs take the USMLE (MD board exams) in addition to the COMLEX (DO board exams) in order to compete with MDs for allopathic (MD) residencies. DOs have no problem securing primary care allopathic residencies. HOWEVER, in general, it is more difficult to secure an allopathic sub-specialty and/or surgical specialties as a DO. If you work hard, and do well on the USMLE, you will most likely be able to get it anyways. Its not like its easy to get these residencies as an MD, either :rolleyes:

If you are interested in learning an extra treatment modality (OMM), and don't want to go into medical research (although yes, it is still possible to do so at DO schools-MD is just a better route) and don't mind working a little harder (due to the OMM classes, as well as taking the USMLE if you want to get into a competetive residency), then DO would be a good option for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks.
Do you think there are more people in DO because that was their first choice, or do u think they chose it because of rejection from MD schools/not quite competitive enough as an applicant.

benb2099 said:
Thanks.
Do you think there are more people in DO because that was their first choice, or do u think they chose it because of rejection from MD schools/not quite competitive enough as an applicant.

Does it really matter? You'll find a mixture of both types in every school. Does it matter if it is a 80/20 split or a 50/50 split? In the end, all students have to go through rigorous medical education and residency training and pass the boards.

Now why would people choose DO over MD (if they get acceptance)? Cost is a factor. Location is another. Atmosphere (laid-back v competitive) is another. Wanting to learn OMT. Family tradition of DOs. Maybe someone had a wonderful mentor who was a DO and wanted to follow in his/her footstep. All good reasons for choosing DO over MD.

In every school, there will be those who got rejected from MD schools. But it doesn't matter if it's only 1% or 80% of the student population - in the end, we'll all be physicians who have undergone rigorous training, sleep deprivation, stress, etc.

benb2099 said:
Thanks.

What I think is irrelevent, however, I am sure that the majority of DO students are happy to be there for whatever reason. Isn't that enough? For me, I have been accepted to MD schools, I am waiting on a few MD schools, but I have already chosen a DO school because of the reasons the last poster stated(minus the family tradition one since I am a first gen college grad).

I think most people are happy to be in medical school and some who had no interest in OMT prior to school end up really liking it. Some go the other way.

How many people in MD school say "crap...this sucks...I should have gone to law school."

Hell, Ive said that myself a few times.

Go to school and be happy you are there. There are plenty of people willing to take your spot.

benb2099 said:
Thanks.

There is argument about this right now in the osteopathic forums. I think most DO students are happy and enthusiastic about their choice. There is a significant minority who would rather be in MD school. Whether or not they can overcome that initial setback in their medical career will reflect attitude choices, a lot more than any real difference in opportunity and practice between the MD and DO professions.

I wasn't saying that it did matter, i was just trying to see whether DO was really their first choice, or if it is used more of a backup instead of MD. What is the cost difference between MD and DO?

benb2099 said:
I wasn't saying that it did matter, i was just trying to see whether DO was really their first choice, or if it is used more of a backup instead of MD. What is the cost difference between MD and DO?

Cost is very dependant on the school and your state of residence. BTW, I do think most people are not at DO school as a backup. You are new to this, aren't you?

medic170 said:
Cost is very dependant on the school and your state of residence. BTW, I do think most people are not at DO school as a backup. You are new to this, aren't you?
I've never read much on DO schools, only MD. I wasn't implying that most people were at DO as a backup, it just seems that the first suggestion that people are given when they don't have the stats for MD or are rejected from and MD school, they are told to try DO.

medic170 said:
What I think is irrelevent, however, I am sure that the majority of DO students are happy to be there for whatever reason. Isn't that enough? For me, I have been accepted to MD schools, I am waiting on a few MD schools, but I have already chosen a DO school because of the reasons the last poster stated(minus the family tradition one since I am a first gen college grad).

I agree. I chose an osteopathic medical school b/c of the reasons stated previously.The osteopathic philosophy suited me more and plus, osteopathic medical schools are just as competitive as allopathic med schools.avg 3.6 gpaMCAT 29 for allo, avg gpa 3.4 MCAT 26 for osteo :)

Members don't see this ad :)
My 2 cents:

I agree with pretty much all that was said on this forum, and glad it didn't turn into an argument about students choosing DO over MD as a second choice! I really believe that is the minority!

I decided to become a DO because the osteopathic philosophy is more in parallel to my reasons of becoming a physician, I want to treat patients, not diseases. (if any of you watch that new show, HOUSE, he is exatcly what I DON'T want to be...he even said himself on the show, he treats illnesses, not patients...bum way to go) Anyways...I think osteopathy will better prepare me for my future, that's why I choose it!

You're doing the right thing by learning about osteopathy, but just do so before you make any assumptions. Read everything you can with an open mind...don't go into this thinking that this is a backup (as I think you are under the assumption, due to speculation or whatever), or else that's all you'll ever think!

G'Luck!

J. :thumbup:

JPHazelton said:
How many people in MD school say "crap...this sucks...I should have gone to law school."

Hell, Ive said that myself a few times.

Go to school and be happy you are there. There are plenty of people willing to take your spot.

Ditto on everything

I really wished I went to Law school after the anal rapeing I just got on Heme-Onc today

I would say that there are more applicants use D.O. as a backup than there are those who just really love the idea of being a DO. There ARE people who get into both schools and choose D.O. ones because they love the school, the area, etc. I would say though that the vast majority of people who end up at DO schools get over any dissapointment they might feel at not getting MD spots very early on...I mean, you're going to be a doctor, just the same as you would have been at an allo school. That's all that really matters right :)

I love the idea of going to a D.O. school if only for the fact that I take some comfort in knowing that I'll probably be going SOMEWHERE in 2 years...That I can make my dreams of medicine happen even if I'm not the most stellar of applicants...And will be applying to both MD and DO...will see how that goes next year :) To the OP though...Spend some time on these forums and learn about osteopathic medicine for yourself. You'll probably find more info here than anywhere else. If you're numbers aren't extremely competitve I would URGE you to apply to DO schools, even if you do see it as a backup. Excluding people with big research or academic ambitions...if you're doing the exact same thing and making the exact same $$$...isn't that all that matters in a job?

crys20 said:
To the OP though...Spend some time on these forums and learn about osteopathic medicine for yourself. You'll probably find more info here than anywhere else.

NO, NO, NO!!!!

Do NOT, and I repeat do NOT attempt to learn about osteopathic medicine from these forums! These forums are extremely warped and don't represent the "real" world.

If you want to learn about osteopathic medicine, shadow a D.O. at a hospital or clinic.

Don't say I didn't warn you...

benb2099 said:
Thanks.

Honestly, as someone with good stats and multiple acceptances, I would have to say that most choose DO because they have families that the dont want to relocate, or they want to stay in the state where they live. There is a population that goes to DO school because they 'couldnt' get into MD school. But how many carib MD's went there because they couldnt get into MD school here? Is there any difference?

NO, NO, NO!!!!

lol, ok I should have worded that differently. you won't learn about osteopathic medicine, but you will hear the advice of a lot of people who don't know what the hell they're talking about :)

To the OP,

Another possible reason why someone might choose DO over MD might have to do with differing student experiences during MS-III and IV. In talking with some of my attendings, it seems that DO students are given more autonomy, in their third and fourth years, than our MD counterparts. Now, most of my attendings have been out of their training programs for at least a few years, so things might be different now. I should also point out that these attendings I'm referring to are DO's who did allopathic residencies (hence, they lived the life of a DO student and observed/directed MD students).

Hi, this is my first time posting on SDN. I will be applying to med school next year and my stats are average bordering on decent. Somebody clued me in to this website and I have been a "silent addict" for the last few months. I have only recently began reading the threads for DO's (this was never an option until recently...) and I have just been trying to make this make sense in my mind.

If everything (except one course) is the same between MD's and DO's and both are the legal and professional equivelants and both make the same salary and both can get the same residencies and practice side by side at the clinic and the hospital then WHY in the world is it so much harder to get into med school? And if those with less "impressive" credentials typically have an easier time gaining enterance to COM's, how does the "playing field" level out so soon after med school begins?

Ex: somebody with a 3.0 gpa and a 26 MCAT gets the same license and has the same "ability" as somebody with a 4.0 and a 33 MCAT? (I am speaking only of intellectual capability and not of personality or behavioral practices)

Please, I do not want anybody to attack me, I am not underscoring DO's and those who want that, I am just trying to learn as much as possible about a profession that I knew virtually nothing about until about 1 month ago... and, it may very well turn into my calling...

Em.

Em,

If one group with significantly lower stats than another has roughly the same practice outcomes (which is the case with DOs and MDs, though the GPA differential is really pretty minor), it should probably suggest that there's not a strong correlation between those stats and competence as a physician.

Which of course makes sense, for the same reason that SAT scores aren't going to do much for predicting how good a doctor one becomes. The MCAT and most undergrad classes have some utility in quantifying general intelligence, basic knowledge, and critical thinking ability, but they don't have much clinical correlation.

So what that *should* tell you is that (even if scores and grades are perfect predictors of intelligence and knowledge, and far from it!) it doesn't take extraordinary intelligence, knowledge, or critical thinking ability to be a competent practicing doc. If we were above the optimum number of physicians in the country, we might be justified in culling out those in the lower ranks. But as long as the benefits of more physicians increase the risk of recrutiing students with somewhat lower stats of uncertain utility, there will be a significant differential between the lower and more highly-regarded schools.

There are plenty of other factors at work also, including osteopathy's general preference for experience over statistical shine. Ultimately, though, it boils down to supply and demand.

EM&M,

You asked, "why in the world is it harder to get into med school?" First, I think you meant allopathic med school, since ostepathic programs are aslo med school. Anyhow, think of it this way, why is it harder to get into Harvard, or any of the Ivy's for that matter for undergrad education than say some random state university? Why do you have to be so much more competitive to get into any of those popular programs, why do they require higher GPA, and SAT's? At either place, prestigious universities or a state university, you can major in History and learn the exact same things, the results are the same right? You get a Bachelors degree at the end and the graduate from either institution will have learned the same history and will have passed similar tests which assessed the same information. Further, a bachelors for either is recognized in academic circle and in the job market as meeting educational requirements and therefore each student competent in the discipline. I think this analogy works well with thinking about MD vs. DO programs for medical school. Yes, they have the same curriculum + OMT for DO school, and at the end both are recognized as meeting the educational requirements by training students to be physicians. Just like any prestigious school, lots of student's want to get into them for the name, when in fact there are many other accredited institutions that are also very good programs, but they lack the prestige and instant status recognition associated with a "Harvard" or "MD" name or title. I hope you get my meaning.

Using this analogy, there have been lots of students who are really keen on the glory and prestige of getting into undergrad at one of those prestigious places, but in the end they just didn't get in and instead had to attend an institution that may still be great for it's education, but does not have the instant name recognition....so they may have always felt that people thought they were not smart enough to attend a Harvard or Ivy league, but I doubt many people actually think that way about them. Then there are others that never even considered which is more prestigious for undergrad, nor do they care, to them they simply wanted that degree in history and they knew that their local state U. could teach them and that the degree was fully recognized everywhere. So then down the road when the state U grad is working in a job that requires the history degree, no one will really care where they went to school nor will they care that they didn' t have to meet the rigorous academic statistics of a ultra competitive "Harvard" like school to have earned that degree knowledge and career.

One reason why I chose the DO route is the opportunity to learn OMM, which my MD counterparts do not have.