Why did you apply there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clawsbeatskin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The "Ohio State pluses" thread got me thinking...why is everyone applying to their prospective schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I only applied to Mizzou as I'm an in-stater there and my husband didn't want to change jobs. Well, now he hates his job and now I wish I went to a school with a more holistic focus like Colorado State. :rolleyes: Ah well, suck it up and soldier on...at least I won't be as in debt, right?

Well, I knew I didn't want to apply to that many schools because it would cost a lot of money and I knew that I could narrow it down. Then I spent a lot of time looking at which schools would even consider me (I'm a NYS resident). Next I went through and saw which ones had ridiculous requirements (Georgia was the only one that required the bio GRE, so I wasn't going to take it, and Purdue had a lot of prereqs that I couldn't get at my undergrad). Then when I had 6-7 schools I narrowed it down by which ones take the most out of state students.

I knew I was going to apply to Cornell (state school), Penn (because I know way too many people who went there), and then the rest were just whether or not they fit the requirements. My friend went to OSU and liked it, Illinois had a lot of things I liked (particularly their disaster relief efforts) and CSU is a longshot school, but awesome because it's Colorado and has a dual degree program that I would be able to apply to as a first year.

So, yeah, my basic idea is I'll be happy regardless of where I go, so I might as well not make myself go crazy just applying (vet school is for going crazy, or so I've heard...).

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to NCSU, my instate school and also where I got my two BS degrees.

I applied to Penn because honestly, they took a lot of out of state students and I thought I would have a better chance there.

I applied to LSU because my SO has family connections there in the administration and they wanted me to apply.

Penn ended up letting me in while NCSU didn't. I love Penn and am so glad that I'm here. It would have been such a different experience for me at NCSU. It's funny how things work out.

They are all good schools, so here are some of the determining factors for me:

Auburn: State school.... super cheap (compared to OOS anywhere else).... already know the area... opportunities to stay connected with my research here in Birmingham etc... Great town for a family.

Kansas State: My parents are really close and I really like Kansas... Good place to have a family.

Iowa State: Close to parents still... great neuroscience research.... aggressive Dean who is serious about putting ISU on the map... Very nice place to have a family.

Penn: Great resources for the research-oriented student (both in the vet school and the university in general). The vet school recently identified comparative oncology as one of their 4 core areas of research, which in my book is the biggest deciding factor around... They care about research... plus it's Penn.

Cornell: Another school with great resources for the prospective research-oriented student... nice area.... close to my wife's family... Another good place to have a family.

First and foremost, I struck off schools that either had oddball prereqs or expiration dates on coursework (except for Missouri, which I didn't know about until AFTER I applied - sigh ...)
Schools are listed in alphabetical order, FYI :)

UC Davis: Close to home and SO, great new facilities, have friends who are alums & current students

Colorado State: Holistic admissions process, good holistic medicine department, location/lifestyle (I adore Colorado & snowboarding), friends nearby

Illinois: Good program, close to much of my family, have friends who went there for undergrad & enjoyed it

Missouri: 2 years of clinics instead of the usual 1

Penn: High small animal caseload, urban location

Wisconsin: My vet is an alum and she's awesome, good variety of clinic rotations, close to much of my family

I only applied to Tufts last year and again this year because my husband is going to Brandeis getting his PhD. He can't move for the next 5 years and I really don't want to live in different places. If I don't get in again though I may need to rethink my plan. I also originally wanted to go to Tufts because I thought I wanted to do lab animal medicine, but I've changed my focus completely and I am now thinking small animal or shelter medicine. Ideally I'd love to apply to other schools as well. Penn especially because I really like their shelter animal medicine program.

UGA: because it's in-state for south carolina. Plus I like all the vets I have woked with from there and Athens would be a great place to go to grad school. Plus a few of my current friends might end up going to other grad schools there (like there business school or law school).

Mississippi: in-state spots for SC residents. They had lots of oddball pre-reqs but I could fullfill all of them in the context of finishing my BS Biology major requirements. Seem very friendly

UPenn: because many previous pre-vet studetns form my school have gone there and loved it (like 3 out of the 4 that applied from our school two years ago), so my advisors are really pushing it hard-core. I visited it this summer and loved it immediately. The facilites were amazing and I especially loved that you could do an extra veterinary business program (so helpful if you ever own a clinic). I also liked their shelter medicine program which I thought was pretty unique.

NCSU: neighboring state school, close to home, would like rahleigh, majority of my family is from NC. Has a very good reputation within the vet community in my area.

Va-Md: I go to school in VA. Mrs Massie has come and talked to pre-vets at our school every year. And I worked with amazing people this summer that went there. Plus blackburg is literally an hour and a half from my current school (would not be a big transition).

Texas A&M: very few out of state applicants like 100 for 10 spots, better odds than Penn and other OOS schools (now kind of regrettting sending in that application becasue did not realize until after I applied that they are the only school that requires biochem II- i would have to do some serious schedule rearrangements to accomodate). My current school has a large Texas student populations, three of my roomates are from Huston. I like Texas people and think it would be a nice place to live

Tufts: originally just because I was applying to Penn (other ivy league esque school... i refused to apply to cornell because I don't think I would like that PBL- i like traditional lecture classes). Also my advisor would not let me take it off my list. But then the more I learned about it the more I think I would really like it. It is a small school with a good reputation like my undergrad. It's near Boston, major bonus points. Plus I really liked their unique focus on veterinary ethics. Also their clinical programs were very strong, and from the brochure that I read cover to cover they have amazing facilities.

UF = instate school

OK state = I would like to live in the middle of nowhere, they take a lot of oos and they take the BIO GRE!! :D

Mich SU: I got talked into it by someone, I thought I would have a shot

now I wish I went to a school with a more holistic focus like Colorado State.

Hey, at the U of MN, students from other vet schools are encouraged to come take our week-long Integrative Medicine course at the end of May... I totally have a couch you could sleep on too :)

WSU: my in state school

Oregon: I'd rather live here than Pullman, anyday. Especially since my grandparents are nearby. Plus they have a partnership with the humane society and their students get tons of hands on clinical stuff.

Oklahoma: I know a few people who haven't gotten into WSU that have been accepted in OK. So why not. Plus then I can sing that great song all the time. OOOOOOklahoma......

CSU: Great location, great school, but very competitive. Definately my 'reach' school. I do have an extensive holistic medicine background, which may or may not help.

Tufts: the opportunities for Lab Animal Medicine, I have family in Mass., close to a big city (I'm a city girl)
Michigan State: I was thisclose last year (when I applied to WAY too many schools for the sole reason of getting in, and I didn't), got to see the school, and pretty much fell in love with it. If I get into a WICHE school this year and MSU I will have a very difficult choice to make (Oh to be in that situation!)
Colorado State: My dream school, since I decided I wanted to go to vet school I decided I wanted to go to CSU. Holistic, research, the location, snowboarding, Belgium Brewing Company (i.e. God's gift to me!), oh, and WICHE
Oregon State: Originally because it's WICHE, but it is trying to put itself on the map as a research school and I like that
Washington State: WICHE. I can't say that I want to live in Pullman, but I did work for a fabulous vet that came from here. I could only hope to be 1/2 the vet he was
UC Davis: WICHE, primate center (monks!), research, close to home, climate

is that it?! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
UC-Davis: Location, reputation, DVM/PhD program, wildlife medicine options, collaboration with San Diego Zoo, facilities, emergency response team, faculty expertise in EVERYTHING

Cornell: DVM/PhD program, Baker Institute for Animal Health, reputation, beautiful area, I'm intrigued by PBL

Wisconsin: Amazing microbiology research and new DVM/MPH program plus are open to DVM/PhD, great facilities, awesome town (madison), up and coming school putting research on the map!

Tufts: close to Boston with options for significant other, good focus on research and wildlife diseases, supposed to be a very supportive environment

NC-State: DVM/PhD program, research triangle, sort of like Madison in terms of relatively young school with great reputation, well connected to horse world

Oregon: I'm from the northwest but don't want to live in Pullman (blech) and Corvallis is a great place, I'm nervous at how young the school is but it seems very well regarded... why can't they have a more professional website?!!

Minnesota: Great public health focus, supposed to be a wonderful atmosphere, everyone has fabulous things to say about them, decent research for sig other

Illinois: good research options for sig other

Penn: would be great for me, but somewhat bad for sig other, which is frusturating... great programs and faculty expertise, I don't adore philadelphia though.

K-State: In state. Thought it was my best shot. Having a lot of trouble just getting my foot in the door. 2nd year applying to this school and each year it is another pre-requisite issue. I already have 1 BS and by the end of this year I'll have a 2nd BS. So a little annoyed... (sorry to any K-State folks out there) Still love the school just wish I would get a nod.

UPENN: The zoo vet I am shadowing is an alum so she pushed the idea. Huge long shot but I would go in a heartbeat! Love their campus, shelter med program, new facility, etc.

CO: Close to KS and the more I find out about it the more I think this is the school for me. Love their holistic approach and how companion animals are viewed in CO overall. A bit nervous about relocating my whole family to do this but my hubby says it will all be fine... so here is hoping for a miracle and a shot!

Missouri: Close to home again. I am very interested in their genetic research that is ongoing in idiopathic eplipsey. I should have considered Michigan for this as well but figured that out too late. I think it would be a good fit for me as well.
:luck:

Oregon: I'm from the northwest but don't want to live in Pullman (blech) and Corvallis is a great place, I'm nervous at how young the school is but it seems very well regarded... why can't they have a more professional website?!!

Maybe it's because I'm from Salem, but "Corvallis is a great place" made me laugh. :p Say hi to my relatives! They sure like it.

From what I recall from looking into that program, you would have to be accepted to the Wharton School of Business separately. Being the best business school in the country, that is pretty difficult to do. If you are really interested in doing a combined DVM/MBA than you may want to look into some other schools (many offer that) unless you are a fantastic business applicant.

When I was applying -- I applied to Auburn because it's my instate (less $$) and I was already here.

Missouri: Close to home again. I am very interested in their genetic research that is ongoing in idiopathic eplipsey. I should have considered Michigan for this as well but figured that out too late. I think it would be a good fit for me as well.

Yup, Dr. O'Brien and Dr. Johnson are both very well known in their field. Haven't met Dr. Johnson yet, but Dr. O'Brien is both very helpful (he advised me about my Malinois female who had a fibrocartilagenous embolism after class one day) and is a good teacher. He brought in a Kerry blue terrier into the clinical correlates part of our neuroanatomy class to talk about the genetic components of this dog, who has the dog equivalent of both Parkinson's and Huntington's. Very interesting (but sad too, as the dog likely won't make it past 24 months old). But they've bred him and are going to investigate the genetic component. Oh yeah, if you get one of the other neurologists (Dr. Coates) if she's on the admissions committee for the interview, I hear she kinda grills ya! Wasn't bad for me, but that's what I heard from a couple other people.

From what I recall from looking into that program, you would have to be accepted to the Wharton School of Business separately. Being the best business school in the country, that is pretty difficult to do. If you are really interested in doing a combined DVM/MBA than you may want to look into some other schools (many offer that) unless you are a fantastic business applicant.

You're thinking of the combined VMD/MBA program - there's a separate veterinary business "certificate" program at Penn where you take some classes on business and get a notation on your degree (or something like that) saying you're qualified to do business as a vet.

For the VMD/MBA program, I'm not sure why the fact that it's a good business school should deter you from Penn - I'd think that would make it more appealing...

VA/MD (I guess for me this is why I appl-IED, not am applying...but I like to jump into other people's threads - bwahaha! Evil 2nd year on the loose.)

For the great hometown, close-knit feel of Blacksburg, plus Appalachian trail and mountain wildnerness right outside your door:love:The town is just so friendly, and all of the students and professors are as well. Also for the stupendous public/corporate track in their VetMed program, and all of the extremely interesting research opportunities that go along with that.

Lord, I've been a resident Hokie for almost 7 years now!:laugh: I just won't leave! They can't make me!

WHY DOES NO ONE WANT TO LIVE IN PULLMAN?? *does a Pullman, WA cheerleader dance* Ha ha ha ....I love Pullman...miles and miles away from everything, totally out in the sticks, but with a superb, well-connected and well-funded school. Nice and quiet. I hate cities. But then again, I am a SW Virginia hick.

I meant my comment about Penn as a compliment =o) I am, however, not so sure about raising a family in the middle of that particular city =o) I am sure there are plenty of nice areas outside of the city proper though =o)

i know, it didnt come out the way it did in my head... stupid finals.

i was laughing at the "its penn" as a reason (it was on my list of reasons!) and at the same time noticing that west philly was the only one you didn't list as a nice place to have a family

You're thinking of the combined VMD/MBA program - there's a separate veterinary business "certificate" program at Penn where you take some classes on business and get a notation on your degree (or something like that) saying you're qualified to do business as a vet.

For the VMD/MBA program, I'm not sure why the fact that it's a good business school should deter you from Penn - I'd think that would make it more appealing...

Yeah I was thinking of VMD/MBA, I didn't realize there was a separate program. Obviously if you could get into Wharton, yes, that would make it much more appealing, but most people don't have the qualifications to get into the top business in the country.