Why did you choose BU over NYU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

997GT3

There is no substitute.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Assume you got into both schools. But you decided to go to BU instead. Why? I'm a pre-dent :).

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

now please keep in mind i don't like BU. i think there's alot of things that need to be drastically done. please see a post i did earlier today. but instead of telling you why i'd choose bu over nyu... look into and ask bu and nyu students particular about things i think pre dents need to know and ask before you make a decision:

1) rent: both places are expensive... but nyc is HECKA pricy
2) travel expensive: boston and nyc is great b/c the subway system, however, bu is a mile away from the t stop and you'll need to transfer onto a bus. that sucks. the other option is to live in the 'south end' which is very hoodish. i hate living in the south end.
3) boards: ask what the average was?
4) first year survival: i hear nyu drops 30% of their first years. ask if it's true.
5) patient selection and availability: do students have enough work to do?
6) chair to student ratio: are there enough chairs to go around? ideally you want to share a particular chair with one or two other ppl that's it this is very important when you get into the clinic and start getting requirements done
7) post grad progams. i've had faculty who are in positions of power at bu tell me that 'they don't care about PG programs, just to get you graduated.' i think that bs. if you ask any D1, and they'll all say that they are interested. shouldn't the admin ppl be addressing the needs of the student body...
8) alum giving rate:

there's prob more ?'s you could ask.. get answers to these and pick which is best for you.

NYU drops 30 percent of frist year students....haha....more like 8-10 out of 230. All of the ones that dropped out chose too...some didn't even do the remediation in the summer. NYU didn't drop them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a buddy at NYU. He seems happy. He bitchs and groans about the same pains I have which is mainly waiting for the f'ing instructors to sign you off.

5) patient selection and availability: do students have enough work to do?
6) chair to student ratio: are there enough chairs to go around? ideally you want to share a particular chair with one or two other ppl that's it this is very important when you get into the clinic and start getting requirements done

Don't just ask about chair to student ration. Make sure you know the available faculty to student ration DURING clinic sessions. Remeber just because you have 100 students and 100 chairs doesnt always mean that there'll be adequate instructors so that students can make maximum use of all available chairs. Just something to think about... Honestly if it werent for a few faculty members and the possibility of financial ruin I probably would have transfered after the second year... But then again who's to say that the same issues wouldnt follow me wherever I eventually transfered too....