Why did you choose optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

courtneyv2002

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview tomorrow with SCO. I'm nervous about this question. I know it's what I want to do but I just don't feel like some of my reasons are necessarily appropriate for the interview process. I like that it is a prestiguous profession that could someday (when I own my own practice) allow me some flexiblity to raise a family. Of course I like the salary, I think its adequte compensation for the amount of time required to study for the profession.
In previous interviews, I talked about how I developed a desire to work in the medical field, growing up going to hospitals with my mom (cancer patient). I knew I wanted to help people feel better and have a better quality of life. After my mom passed away I knew that I couldn't handle dealing with the death of my own patients. This took medicine out of the picture for me. After considering other options I found optometry to be ideal in that it has the routine structure that I desire as well as the ability for me to provide a better quality of life to my patients by improving their vision.

What are your thoughts? How did you answer this question?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at ICO a while ago and was asked this question. I said the bit that you mentioned about improveing patient's quality of life by improving their vision. Another point that i made was that i like the variety that optometry offers. I talked about how the profession not only allows you to carry out primary eye care, but there is also the business aspect of running your own practice, it is possible to become quite involved politically with associations and what not (an optometrist that i work for was very involved with the ontario association) and there is the option of doing a residency and then could get involved acedemically as well. My point was that one of the things that makes optometry an interesting profession is that you can choose to take it down different paths, and have it become more than just providing eye care.

Everyone always says they want to help people. This is important but you have to think of an answer that isn't repeated over and over. I was asked this and some parts of my answer were things like: I want to talk to my patients-so dentistry is out. I want family time-so MD is out. I want to make money and be worthwhile-so optician is out. Try to think of why specifically optometry and not other health fields. I had a big fear that I would be asked this question and after my answer the faculty would say "Have you thought about going into X, it might be a good fit."

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your thoughts? How did you answer this question?

I'm not going to comment specifically on whether your answer is a "good" one or not, but I think that one of the important traits of a good optometrist (or any clinician for that matter) is not mentioned anywhere.

It's not nearly enough to want to "help people see better" or to want to "have time for family" etc etc.

A good clinician must also have good critical thinking skills and a genuine sense of scientific curiosity.

no offense or anything but isnt this a little generalized to all clinicians? shouldn't your response be more specific to optometry?

When I was asked this question in interviews, I did mention interest in science as the foundation that led me toward optometry. After all, it was the scientific interest that pointed me in the general medical field. It was only after I had the general interest and took time to research many different medically oriented careers that I decided on optometry. I don't think you should only mention scientific interest, but I believe it is an important trait. After all, it is this interest that will drive optometrists to stay current on diseases and treatments after graduating from optometry school.

One of the things I was highly advised when interviewing in grad schools is not to mention money as being a reason for entering a profession. It makes it sound superficial and ingenuine as to a "drive."

Thanks for all the input. I definately did not mention money but talked about the things that really did drive me toward my goals. Like the person on person contact, the science, the flexibility of practice options, etc. I appreciate the help and really feel like this and the optometry forum helped me prepare myself for the interview so THANKSSS again!
:D