Why did you choose Phamacy as a career path? What made you choose it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sheriff15

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What made you guys decide to dedicate your life to pharmacy? At what age did you decide this was what you were meant to do? I'm 16 and since age 15 I've always wanted to become a pharmacist, but I want to know what made you guys decide upon it.

By the way, this is one of my first posts, but I have been lurking the forum for over a year.;)

Members don't see this ad.

For me:

60% money factor + 40% (desire to help ppl, interest in medicine/drugs, stable job, love to interact with people, etc) = decision to go to pharmacy school

Yes, I admit money plays a very important role in my decision to become a pharmacist.

I had two mentors when I was in high school who were pharmacists, one a DP and the other nuclear. I spent a lot of time babysitting their kids and always gravitated to their studies after the kids went to bed. I learned a lot about drugs on my own. At the time, I was strongly drawn to computer science and my education in high school was not geared toward life sciences at all.

After a long career in telecommunications, I decided I'd made a wrong turn all those years earlier and decided to start studying biology and chemistry. The decision to attend pharmacy school is an extension of that. Aside from the occasional headaches that pharmacy school gives me, I don't regret my decision. (Although I'm kind of ready to be done with school already.)

Members don't see this ad :)
great career and i want to own my own business as a compounding pharmacist.(i love to cook, and it naturally translates in the lab!!!)

What made you guys decide to dedicate your life to pharmacy? At what age did you decide this was what you were meant to do? I'm 16 and since age 15 I've always wanted to become a pharmacist, but I want to know what made you guys decide upon it.

Like twester, I came to pharmacy relatively late. I took a job as a pharmacy tech mainly just to have something to do so I wasn't home with small children all day long (I had a chemistry/bio background in college). I definitely did not take the job with the idea that I would go back to school. However, it took me about 6 months to realize that I liked the subject matter much more than anything else I had ever done in my life - I loved going to work, and would read pharmacy journals at night. I also have a pharmacist mentor, who spent several years convincing (harrassing??) me to go back to school. So, for me, it's passion for the subject. However, the money definitely plays a part - that's what makes it financially reasonable for me to go back to school at this point. Otherwise, we could have never justified the money we are putting into tuition.