Why did you give up? (Question given to DPM students)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr2bjake

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you tell someone that you are pursuing podiatry school...

Has anyone been asked the following : "Why did you give up your dream of becoming a doctor?"

Am I the only one?

I personally don't care anymore... I am at the point now that I am comfortable in my decision (very comfortable). But still get arrogant remarks from MD students and people at the hospital I work in. Friends of mine have even considered this decision to be abandoning my "dream."

I am just posting to see what people's rebuttles are for questions asked such as the one above.

Members don't see this ad.

dr2bjake said:
When you tell someone that you are pursuing podiatry school...

Has anyone been asked the following : "Why did you give up your dream of becoming a doctor?"

Am I the only one?

I personally don't care anymore... I am at the point now that I am comfortable in my decision (very comfortable). But still get arrogant remarks from MD students and people at the hospital I work in. Friends of mine have even considered this decision to be abandoning my "dream."

I am just posting to see what people's rebuttles are for questions asked such as the one above.

For me, my dream is to help people, not adding initials behind my name. I just feel that the medical field would give me the most opportunities at doing it. As for med school vs. podiatry school. I was initially interested in med school as well....but that was before I discovered podiatry. I want to do podiatry because I want to do surgery, but I don't want to be in school forever; plus I can run my own business. Of course this career not as "safe" as MD/DO because of the business components. As for those people that ask you that question.....I ask why is there a need for that question? We are all here to help peope...you love what you do and I love what I do, what's the problem? Afterall, I am still a doctor am I not?

dr2bjake said:
Am I the only one?
QUOTE]

Well, I was planning on going to dental school and was really serious about it. Serious enough that I applied two straight years in a row and through the few number of interviews that I went to and really didnt feel that I was doing the right thing. BUT I couldn't give up because it was all i had, it was the only thing that I had been concentrating on for a few years now and then all of a sudden I came to the end of the road. Spent way too much money on application stuff and too much misery going through the whole cycle...not worth it in the end. I tried my best and it didn't work out. I figured out that dentistry was not for me and I was going into it for the wrong reasons. I started looking elsewhere and found Podiatry. Ever since that point in my life, Ive been happy and VERY content in knowing that I will be a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine. (and no that did not come from my personal statement :) )

Jeff

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently any clinician who is not an MD gets that question.
Why didn't you just become a doctor?
Well you guys can say "I did!" But it is crazy the way the public thinks any serious health care professional just gave up an settled if they are not an MD.

My favorite comment is "you're so smart, why didn't you go all the way?"
First of all I did go all the way through PA school and second of all do these people want unintelligient people being PAs or DPMs for that matter.
Its like if you are intelligient, your talents can only fully appreciated by being an MD. Now, I fully respect medical school education but I know it is not for everyone.

By the way the DPMs and PM students at my hospital are all wonderful. They often consult our service for concurrent med management but they do the best H&Ps on their patients form the get go. They also usually order all of the patients outpatient meds. That leaves us little to do. And thats more than I can say about the Ortho guys.

dpmjeff77 said:
dr2bjake said:
Am I the only one?
QUOTE]

Well, I was planning on going to dental school and was really serious about it. Serious enough that I applied two straight years in a row and through the few number of interviews that I went to and really didnt feel that I was doing the right thing. BUT I couldn't give up because it was all i had, it was the only thing that I had been concentrating on for a few years now and then all of a sudden I came to the end of the road. Spent way too much money on application stuff and too much misery going through the whole cycle...not worth it in the end. I tried my best and it didn't work out. I figured out that dentistry was not for me and I was going into it for the wrong reasons. I started looking elsewhere and found Podiatry. Ever since that point in my life, Ive been happy and VERY content in knowing that I will be a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine. (and no that did not come from my personal statement :) )

Jeff

By the way the DPMs and PM students at my hospital are all wonderful.

And Where are you in this great land of ours?

Jeff :cool:

I am just happy to hear that I am not the only one that had to deal with this crap.

I suppose no matter what you do. Going for the MD/DO and only winding up as a General Practitioner / Family Med doctor... someone will most likely come to you one day and say: "couldn't hack it to get a surgery residency?"

In the end its up to one self and the decisions they make which they remain comfortable with. It took me some time to realize that I am my own person. :idea:

I just get irritated hearing other people dismiss ideas that aren't their own or have no effect on their lives... just for the sake of offering an opinion.

I train quite seriously in the martial arts and when I left my previous school (American Kenpo) to pursue other things (Jiu Jitsu) I got a ton of scrutiny with regard to why I made the choice. It was simple... it was MY choice and I had to diversify my training to become a well rounded fighter.

As a result of this negativity I have arranged a "striking vs. grappling" tournament to be held in my hometown of Baltimore, MD. At which point I will be fighting against my previous school - using only my current training in jiu jitsu (although I am well versed in stand up - striking as well).

All that to prove a point.

ITS JUST A SHAME THAT WHEN I ENTER THE FIELD OF PODIATRY I CAN'T SIMPLY CHALLENGE THE PEOPLE THAT QUESTIONED MY DECISION TO AN ALL OUT FIGHT. :D

Althought I know people that encountered this kind of situation. I myself actually haven't met anybody that asked me that question. I've talked to several nurses at the hospital that I volunteer at, and one nurse actually said that he too was thinking about podiatry school....but opted for nursing cuz he just cant afford to be in school that long. Many of my past professors were also very supportive of my decision. Two of my cousins, one is a graduate of Harvard med school, one is MD/PhD graduate of UCSF are also very supportive as well. Now granted they are my cousins....but they both have experiences with DPMs and they both had positive things to say about them.

Also, my Harvard grad cousin told me that there is a very respectable DPM residency at Harvard's affilate hosptial: Beth Isareal Deaconess Hospital. You guys might want to check it out.

Hey, it is NOT all of us! I am an MD and I love my pod! Without him that really nasty ingrown toenail that was bleeding and hurt REALLY, REALLY bad would still be there! This is not sarcasm. I went to a podiatrist instead of an MD because I only wanted someone with a definite interest in foot surgery working on me. I recommend podiatrists when appropriate and do not view them as "less than" an MD in any way when dealing with problems of the foot.

:thumbup:

Of course, I am an emergency medicine resident and get asked all of the time "when you are done in the ER what kind of doctor will you become?" We all get grief. Do whatcha love and love whatcha do and it will all be o.k. in the end.

:love:

- H

FoughtFyr said:
Do whatcha love and love whatcha do and it will all be o.k. in the end.

Exactly. We do what we love to do, which is to help people. And we go through lots of school and training in order to to so. The prestige and the repect comes because of our dedication to a career of servitude, not the other way around. So focus on treating the patients and stop looking at the initials behind the names

dr2bjake said:
I train quite seriously in the martial arts and when I left my previous school (American Kenpo) to pursue other things (Jiu Jitsu) I got a ton of scrutiny with regard to why I made the choice. It was simple... it was MY choice and I had to diversify my training to become a well rounded fighter.

Welcome to the dark side of the force. Everyone in MA I meet says jiu jitsu is gay because it's "rolling around with men," yet whenever I want to spar with them they dismiss it. Probably because they've come to tournaments with me and watched me whoop on guys twice my size.

But anyway, I used to want to be an MD too, and then I actually thought about podiatry, but I'm going to PA school now. I actually have only caught flack from one person, and the only thing he said was "remember, as a PA or RNFA you aren't THE surgeon or whatever, you're the assistant." But that doesn't bother me, lol. If it did, I wouldn't be going to PA school.

And the "couldn't hack it in a surgery residency, huh?" thing goes all the way. Other surgeons say backhanded remarks about other surgeons, do things to try and hurt other groups' businesses, it's horrible. I don't want any part of that. I just want to be able to go in and do what I love without having to worry about any of the politics of that stuff. And if someone doesn't like that I'm "only" a PA, they can kiss my white Scottish ass.

Fond of Cabbage said:
Welcome to the dark side of the force. Everyone in MA I meet says jiu jitsu is gay because it's "rolling around with men," yet whenever I want to spar with them they dismiss it. Probably because they've come to tournaments with me and watched me whoop on guys twice my size.

But anyway, I used to want to be an MD too, and then I actually thought about podiatry, but I'm going to PA school now. I actually have only caught flack from one person, and the only thing he said was "remember, as a PA or RNFA you aren't THE surgeon or whatever, you're the assistant." But that doesn't bother me, lol. If it did, I wouldn't be going to PA school.

And the "couldn't hack it in a surgery residency, huh?" thing goes all the way. Other surgeons say backhanded remarks about other surgeons, do things to try and hurt other groups' businesses, it's horrible. I don't want any part of that. I just want to be able to go in and do what I love without having to worry about any of the politics of that stuff. And if someone doesn't like that I'm "only" a PA, they can kiss my white Scottish ass.

Yo... thanks for the post!

Nice to see another martial artist / medical person. Best of luck with PA school! I am sure you will do great!

Just wondering who do you train under? I am under Leroy Epperson (www.thewcaf.com/gaijinryu) a purple belt under Carlson Gracie Jr. Do you compete in NAGA, grapplers' quest,...???

Take Care.

I trained privately with a black belt under Royce. I competed a few times, at the Arnolds and at a tournament in Philly run by a school, as well as other private tournaments around me. I do it more for fun than to compete.

What's funny about the whole "doctor" thing is that I have a doctorate, and when I'm in the hospital or whatever, everyone calls me Dr. Mike, lol. I'd never introduce myself as Doctor to anyone in the hospital, or outside of it for that matter, but it's just funny to me. Actually, I did make a reservation or something as Dr once and I remember it helped a little.

hey, i am a DO student, and though i have never heard it, i am sure some are thinking it. what do you care? usually the people thinking it or saying it are the ones who have nothing going for them. when you are going to be doing a profession that you enjoy and are making nice money, would it matter what anyone else said? just do the best for your patients and they will reward you with all that u need. screw those other people.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if someone loves being a chiropractor, you would still have the same thoughts?

FoughtFyr said:
Hey, it is NOT all of us! I am an MD and I love my pod! Without him that really nasty ingrown toenail that was bleeding and hurt REALLY, REALLY bad would still be there! This is not sarcasm. I went to a podiatrist instead of an MD because I only wanted someone with a definite interest in foot surgery working on me. I recommend podiatrists when appropriate and do not view them as "less than" an MD in any way when dealing with problems of the foot.

:thumbup:

Of course, I am an emergency medicine resident and get asked all of the time "when you are done in the ER what kind of doctor will you become?" We all get grief. Do whatcha love and love whatcha do and it will all be o.k. in the end.

:love:

- H

PTOSIS said:
hey, i am a DO student, and though i have never heard it, i am sure some are thinking it. what do you care? usually the people thinking it or saying it are the ones who have nothing going for them. when you are going to be doing a profession that you enjoy and are making nice money, would it matter what anyone else said? just do the best for your patients and they will reward you with all that u need. screw those other people.

Agree....we are all here to help the patients

DPMrick said:
Agree....we are all here to help the patients

"Heal the world... make it a better place" :D

DPMrick said:
Afterall, I am still a doctor am I not?

Uhm....well.......more like a pseudo-doctor. Do not equate being a foot "doctor" with being an actual physician. It is an insult to all the hard-working, dedicated real physicians. Next time one of your loved ones needs to have their acute chest pain evaluated, should we send them to you "doc"?

Right! :laugh:

Orchard said:
Uhm....well.......more like a pseudo-doctor. Do not equate being a foot "doctor" with being an actual physician. It is an insult to all the hard-working, dedicated real physicians. Next time one of your loved ones needs to have their acute chest pain evaluated, should we send them to you "doc"?

Right! :laugh:

Umm, as a "doc" myself (US trained MD), I use a podiatrist for my foot problems. And I would not send "one of your loved ones (who) needs to have their acute chest pain evaluated" to a dermatologist, orthopod, or endocrinologist - all MDs. Are they not "docs" by your standards?

- H

FoughtFyr said:
Umm, as a "doc" myself (US trained MD), I use a podiatrist for my foot problems. And I would not send "one of your loved ones (who) needs to have their acute chest pain evaluated" to a dermatologist, orthopod, or endocrinologist - all MDs. Are they not "docs" by your standards?

- H

Oh they absolutely are since they have all underwent extensive training and survived rigorous residency training. I was merely commenting on the fact that this particular podiatrist considers himself a "real doctor". I, and thankfully all of my colleagues, would respectfully disagree. Podiatrists do serve a useful and necessary role in medicine. I just don't consider them to be real doctors.

:)

Orchard said:
Oh they absolutely are since they have all underwent extensive training and survived rigorous residency training. I was merely commenting on the fact that this particular podiatrist considers himself a "real doctor". I, and thankfully all of my colleagues, would respectfully disagree. Podiatrists do serve a useful and necessary role in medicine. I just don't consider them to be real doctors.

:)

Since your profile does little to reveal who you or your colleagues are I have to ask directly, what is your background? As an MD, the orthopedic surgeons I worked with in medical school all had podiatrists as members of their practice. Podiatrists were on staff at each of the hospitals we rotated through. As a resident, through conversations with residents at other institutions, I have found that podiatrists are on staff at Johns Hopkins, Mayo, University of Illinois at Chicago, Loma Linda MC, and Wash U. So who is it exactly that doesn't consider them "real doctors"?

- H

FoughtFyr said:
Since your profile does little to reveal who you or your colleagues are I have to ask directly, what is your background? As an MD, the orthopedic surgeons I worked with in medical school all had podiatrists as members of their practice. Podiatrists were on staff at each of the hospitals we rotated through. As a resident, through conversations with residents at other institutions, I have found that podiatrists are on staff at Johns Hopkins, Mayo, University of Illinois at Chicago, Loma Linda MC, and Wash U. So who is it exactly that doesn't consider them "real doctors"?

- H

Sure, they have them on staff to do the scut work that physicians don't feel like doing; big deal.

Orchard said:
Sure, they have them on staff to do the scut work that physicians don't feel like doing; big deal.

Given the current liability environment and performance based regulatory measures, hospitals do not grant OR privledges loosely. So once again, beside the myopic (and as of yet unidentified) "you and your colleagues" who is it that doesn't consider them "real"?

- H

Orchard said:

Orchard,

Do you read journal articles? Do you know how often the work of a podiatrist is referenced by other doctors?

AhhhhForGetAboutIt

Check out the DPM forum you all.

PM2 said:
Orchard,

Do you read journal articles? Do you know how often the work of a podiatrist is referenced by other doctors?

AhhhhForGetAboutIt

Check out the DPM forum you all.

Forget him it's not worth the time or effort.