Give it to me Straight, (Assistants to) Docs!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Can someone with this background do it?

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

bearPatrol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
29 yo man here, currently a programmer who wants a career switch to a field that involves more human interaction.

I took chemistry about 10 years ago and got a B- and then a C. I also got a B in Calculus.

I have since then improved greatly and have now taken several other math classes (including Calc II and Multivariable Calc) and gotten A's as well as high test grades (155 V and Q on GRE). I have no clinical experience but can do it, and I have none of the prereqs completed. (I took two calc classes since online at a community college while I work during the day).

Do PA schools allow folks to retake classes (over 10 years old)? Is a C an auto-killer? Can you apply without any patient interaction/experience?

Thanks for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Depends on the school I think. Check out physician assistant forum for more advice.

Can you apply without any patient interaction/experience?

You can, but you'll be rejected faster than Mutombo can wag his finger at you. Clinical experience for PA school is different than experience for med school, as you're generally required to be providing hands-on direct care to the patient (ex. ER tech). PA schools will want to see a good number of verifiable hours (the number varies from school to school).

Do PA schools allow folks to retake classes (over 10 years old)?

Yes, but the gpa points obtained from the retake(s) will be averaged with all previous attempts.

29 yo man here, currently a programmer who wants a career switch to a field that involves more human interaction.
I have none of the prereqs completed

Before you even start back with the pre-reqs, find a hospital or free clinic you can volunteer at. I say volunteer because, if this a serious career consideration, you need to want to be around sick people for the next 30+ years; also, if you sour quickly you won't lose out on your current income/lifestyle.