Why did YOU pick Pharmacy? =)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StaphRx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Happy New Years, everyone!

So, I know there were earlier threads about this topic, but the ones I saw were from 2005. :cool: Kind of curious to see what applicants/current students/practitioners are saying...:thumbup: especially with the new year in progress now.

For me, I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't planning for my future lifestyle, flexibility (from the various opportunities as a prospective PharmD candidate) and independence in the field. But having graduated with a BS degree, worked full-time in research, and changed career path from another profession, I can totally see the new demand for pharmacists and my passion for it is slowly increasing, as I talk to other pharmacists, and do more research about the field.

What about yourselves? How did you know you wanted to pursue this path after high school? after post-undergrad degree, and/or after working in similar or other career paths? Feel free to share. I am interested to hear about everyone's stories. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I like chemistry, and pharmacy is a career that apply chemistry to real life. Not only I have a interesting career, but also I can provide my hands to help our society. I believe we are a network. One's action can affect other lives to the better or the worse. Pharmacy is a very great career, a wide opening of opportunities for us to involve in every aspect of daily life. I pick pharmacy over other professions also because the flexibility of the job, well-paid, and respect of the profession I have. We make good money, and we do not have to worry about how we live. We can fully use all of our abiliy to contribute our best to life.

i like to help people and make money at the same time :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I just think it was easier to get than than dental and medical. no shadowing or healthcare experience required. I was burnt out by nursing at the time and want to study sth... this is the real reason..:p

I have the "touchy-feely" version of why that I crafted for adcoms and PS and every word is true... science rocks, lots of options, helping others...

At the same time there were other reasons that seem to be frowned upon by admissions committees that were left out.

Job stability - everybody needs drugs no matter what the economy is doing (excluding total disaster I guess)

adequate pay - 6 figures... yeah, that'll do.

benefits - oh you want to pay me well and let me in on a great health care plan as well.. Sign me up!

demand, demand, demand... So I can basically pick and choose where I want to work and probably find a sign on bonus too? OK I can deal with that.

Techs - so let me get this straight your going to give me a couple of techs that are there to make my life easier?? Whats that? You say all I have to do in return for having these little godsends is to be sure they are doing what I technically should be doing correctly while I do other things that I have to do anyway? Put me down for 2 please. ;)

Normal, stable hours? What?? I don't have to be on call in case little jimmy trips and falls down the stairs at 2 am? Just come in and work the hours assigned and go on home when the next shifts pharmacist arrives? Ok... if you insist I guess I will sleep in just this once.

Dr..... no just kidding I don't want to be called doctor... maybe in the phone book though... ;P

Don't take everything on the list TOO serious. The touchy feely version is more important to me in some ways.

Chemistry is like an instinct to me

the job market for what i really want to do is nonexistent. i like chemistry, i'm good with people, and i love my job at the pharmacy so it all just kinda fell into place.

The reason why I choosed pharmacy was because I realized that bench-side research was just not for me. I want to see that I am making an immediate difference in the community rather than later. Who know's when you'll discover a way to turn off TNF-alpha or some other all important thing.

A PharmD is a versatile degree, I see it as a stepping stone for whatever I want to do with my life. It offers economic stability in these trouble times and a avenue to pursue whatever interest that I might have in a few years in ways that a BS can not.

Hello! Happy New Years, everyone!

So, I know there were earlier threads about this topic, but the ones I saw were from 2005. :cool: Kind of curious to see what applicants/current students/practitioners are saying...:thumbup: especially with the new year in progress now.

For me, I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't planning for my future lifestyle, flexibility (from the various opportunities as a prospective PharmD candidate) and independence in the field. But having graduated with a BS degree, worked full-time in research, and changed career path from another profession, I can totally see the new demand for pharmacists and my passion for it is slowly increasing, as I talk to other pharmacists, and do more research about the field.

What about yourselves? How did you know you wanted to pursue this path after high school? after post-undergrad degree, and/or after working in similar or other career paths? Feel free to share. I am interested to hear about everyone's stories. ;)

My mom takes me to the safeway pharmacy to talk with the pharmacist there, when I was a sophmore in high school. He told me pharmacy is a great job and that I should research more about the pharmacy setting. I didn't really take it seriously, so I didn't even consider pharmacy until I found out about the PTCB, when I was in Brazil for 4 months after I finished high school. I came back here in Denver and took a class to prepare the PTCB. I loved the class and the teacher was awesome so I passed the PTCE first try. That was when I realize that pharmacy was for me and that I should try and see if I can make it in the pre-pharmacy program here in University of Colorado at Denver.

I wasn't ready to get a real job...wanted to fool around as a student for 4 more yrs

Both my parents did it. And both their fathers did pharmacy as well.

I didn't really mind the idea of being a third generation pharmacist in my family. Actually, I found it rather cool

physicians are diagnosers

pharmacists are fixers

with regards to what they know

i like fixing :)

physicians are diagnosers

pharmacists are fixers

with regards to what they know

i like fixing :)

i'd like think pharmacists are the checkers for safety and dispensers

Members don't see this ad :)
My mother, a RN, got me to volunteer at her hospital's pharmacy in my sophomore year in high school. I heard about the job outlook, security, opportunities, pay, etc. and fell in love with all of that plus the ability to be an important healthcare provider. I also thought about becoming a doctor, but saw pharmacy as a much more better (and less stressful route). I'd be lying if I said that it is my absolute dream job, but it's up there and is attainable/practical.

i'd like think pharmacists are the checkers for safety and dispensers

that can go under fixing too lol

what i mean by "fixing" is not really the verb...by knowledge, pharmacists know how to fix people. and to a certain degree, physicians pretty much only know what's wrong with you...prescription medications, for many physicians, are a blur. they got PDA's to save their ass lol

for the $$$, and because it's easier than medical and dental school.

pharmacists are fixers
Technically its the pills that do the fixing. lol

Physicians Diagnose and provide Treatment.
Pharmacists take requests for medicine and Dispense.

I loved the class and the teacher was awesome so I passed the PTCE first try.

In my opinion the PTCE tests on a lot of material that is irrelevant to the knowledge that a pharmacy technician will ever need or use.

A PharmD is a versatile degree, I see it as a stepping stone for whatever I want to do with my life. It offers economic stability in these trouble times and a avenue to pursue whatever interest that I might have in a few years in ways that a BS can not.

Isn't a PharmD a terminal degree, meant for someone who wants to practice pharmacy?
In my opinion a BS is much more flexible, because you can decide which avenue to take, and than go from their, in terms of grad schl.

True

i just want to take some credit lol

scratch that...failed joke

i honestly think pharmacy is the best continuation after a chemistry education...it utilizes more chemistry knowledge than all other health fields. plus leadership is my thing!

So it wasn't to hit on hot young pharm techs and drive nice cars? :laugh:

I think this was about the billionth thread asking the same question but I'm always intrigued to hear why people are interested in pharmacy.

I'm in it because I want to be able to live comfortably with a job I enjoy and have a respectable position.

Isn't a PharmD a terminal degree, meant for someone who wants to practice pharmacy?
In my opinion a BS is much more flexible, because you can decide which avenue to take, and than go from their, in terms of grad schl.

I wish pharmacy still had an undergraduate degree but that was phased out in 2002. As for whether or not it is terminal, it isn't. You can always go back to school for something else but there might not be any point in going back to school to earn... say 20k extra because you would be losing your 120k salary a year for every year you go back.

:laugh:

Lets see here...I want a stable career, making at least 100K a year, I DO NOT want to touch people, and I DO NOT want to see/touch any bodily fluids. My last two needs pretty much narrows my choices down to pharmacy, movie star, CEO or lawyer. IF I can do anything I want it would be acting. I would love to be FAMOUS and make millions...but I don't have any connections to hollywood and my family isn't rich like the Hiltons...so I can't do that. :( I am good at business, but that career is not as stable as pharmacy (CEO will be out of a job if the economy is bad:(). And lawyer would be great if my verbal ability didn't suck so badly! :rolleyes: I made a 500 out of 800 on the Verbal SAT....I am scared to see my Verbal score on the PCAT..:scared: So that pretty much leaves me with Pharmacy. Which offers a good pay, a stable career (recession proof! :thumbup:), and I do not have to touch/see anything disgusting! What else can I ask for?

I wish pharmacy still had an undergraduate degree but that was phased out in 2002. As for whether or not it is terminal, it isn't. You can always go back to school for something else but there might not be any point in going back to school to earn... say 20k extra because you would be losing your 120k salary a year for every year you go back.

:laugh:

There is absolutely NOTHING you can do with a BS in biology, chemistry, physics, psychology, sociology, whatever....if you have a BS in any of those you better be ready to apply for grad school to get a PhD if you ever want a chance to get a job!

Yes, I wish I apply to pharm school after my 2 year pre pharm classes! I regret this everyday...

OK, same with you all, I want to go into pharmacy because of its pay, the respect you get, flexibility, etc. But it's also true that I want to help people and science is interesting to me. I am pretty sure adcoms know all these. But why is it that adcoms don't seem to want to hear your other reasons other than you want to help people?

Do you think it's wise to mention about the pay and flexibility of the profession, say, during an interview? Yes, I want to help people, but not for the sake of my personal times. Especially as a female, I want to get married one day and be able to spend times raising my children. And pharmacy offers that along with good pay. I can just go to work and help people. Then, when I get off, I get off.

I recently was a pre-med student until I started working in a pharmacy for a part time job and fell in love with it. Once I did some research on what opportunities that the field of pharmacy can offer is when I decided to go ahead and make the switch.:love:

There is absolutely NOTHING you can do with a BS in biology, chemistry, physics, psychology, sociology, whatever....if you have a BS in any of those you better be ready to apply for grad school to get a PhD if you ever want a chance to get a job!

Yes, I wish I apply to pharm school after my 2 year pre pharm classes! I regret this everyday...

What about Bachelors in Nursing? Also...I heard getting a bachelors can be quite helpful for pharmacy school.

Quit trying to get answers for a pharmacy school interview! Come up with your own material!!!!!
Hahaha! LOL! That was what I was thinking when I saw this thread. :laugh:

Hahaha, my bad. Initially started this thread, because I am trying to figure out if my decision to switch over to Pharmacy is the right move, with no regrets. And I'm so surprised that people knew they wanted Pharmacy straight out of high school, when it took me a while to really figure out what I wanted...as in which specific healthcare profession (med/dental, pharmacy, chiropractic, etc.).

I'm still enrolled full-time in another professional school now, and I need major convincing (for myself) to switch over to Pharmacy, besides my own (good) reasons. :cool:

Everyone has a really good reason for choosing this field. I also see that an advance in educational degree is the best thing these days for future $$$ to roll in. :thumbup:

But I do hope that maybe this thread does also help other people on their interviews or applications. ;)

Well I LOVE chemistry so much, really good at it and fascinated with..and my H.S. bio teacher for some reason inspired me after giving a lecture about a career in pharmacy :). I also really like Biology now since it's very interesting and also interested in drug interaction and stuff. Only thing I hate is physics..which killed my good chance for acceptance :(

Im good with retaining information, 6 fig salary that will not go down in the near future, Having the Capital D lower Case r period in front of ya name at 23 is definitely poppin, great platform for medical school if I so choose to follow after graduation, abilitity to incorporate business...O yeah i like knowing the reactions that occur in the human body once a drug has been ingested so i can relay it to the patient in "english"

Hahaha, my bad. Initially started this thread, because I am trying to figure out if my decision to switch over to Pharmacy is the right move, with no regrets. And I'm so surprised that people knew they wanted Pharmacy straight out of high school, when it took me a while to really figure out what I wanted...as in which specific healthcare profession (med/dental, pharmacy, chiropractic, etc.).

I'm still enrolled full-time in another professional school now, and I need major convincing (for myself) to switch over to Pharmacy, besides my own (good) reasons. :cool:

Everyone has a really good reason for choosing this field. I also see that an advance in educational degree is the best thing these days for future $$$ to roll in. :thumbup:

But I do hope that maybe this thread does also help other people on their interviews or applications. ;)

oo..sorry for misinterpreting you...If it makes you feel better, I didn't want to be a pharmacist right out of high school..I have decided now (while I am in college...second year)...Initially, I hoped to become a doctor, but when I shadowed one, I realized I felt queasy at some of the stuff they did...and I realized I would perhaps be better off with less patient interaction. :)

I was premed before too. Then I started volunteering my sophomore year of college and realized I couldn't handle bodily fluids. I still wanted to be a doctor, but couldn't imagine going through med school and residency, so I decided I wanted to do clinical pharmacy.

I went back and forth on being a doctor or a nurse throughout high school. My mother is an LVN and I saw alot of the industry. Well I have alot of experience in call center work and happened to get a job in AdvancePCS (now bought out by Caremark/CVS). I feel in love with the industry and learned the medications. I walked in and took the PTCB test and passed it without going to a class (but I did purchase and read a study book on it). So I actually love the industry and the fact that I will not have to touch people :laugh: and make better pay than as an RN.

What about Bachelors in Nursing? Also...I heard getting a bachelors can be quite helpful for pharmacy school.

Hahaha! LOL! That was what I was thinking when I saw this thread. :laugh:

Fair enough Nursing would be one. Business or Marketing would be another one. However, some can argue that without a business degree their business would have been just as successful. ;)

SHC i say be a movie star. Pssh who needs connections. Just walk intoa studio and act like you own it.

SHC i say be a movie star. Pssh who needs connections. Just walk intoa studio and act like you own it.

Nah...I think I rather be the 1st Asian Victoria Secret model. Seriously I can't think of any job better than that. :)

I love stress!

For me it was a no brainer. I figure Pharmacy school would be less stressful than med school plus the life style of pharmacy is better suiting for me. it takes about 12-13 yrs depending on speciality to become a doctor, it only takes 6 yrs to become a Pharmacist.

wow, if my professor saw this, he would correct it to be:

Physicians diagnose and treat ailments/health problems
Pharmacists diagnose and treat drug related problems (DRP):laugh:

First of all, the cirriculum for Pharm.D. has changed in the last 10-15 years that a B.S. in Pharmacy is no longer applicable, which is why it was phased out in '99 in favor for the Pharm.D. degree. Pharmacy is changing as far as drug therapy (epigenetics for example) and clinical applications. So its a good thing that it was phased out.

And it is true that achieving a B.S. is not what it used to be, with the exception of a few other fields (ex. Nursing). But a B.S. in any science field is usually a stepping stone to an even higher degree (grad school, professional school, etc).

wow, if my professor saw this, he would correct it to be:

Physicians diagnose and treat ailments/health problems
Pharmacists diagnose and treat drug related problems (DRP):laugh:

I think he means only retail pharmacists....either way I would choose pharmacy over medical school anyday!

First of all, the cirriculum for Pharm.D. has changed in the last 10-15 years that a B.S. in Pharmacy is no longer applicable, which is why it was phased out in '99 in favor for the Pharm.D. degree. Pharmacy is changing as far as drug therapy (epigenetics for example) and clinical applications. So its a good thing that it was phased out.

And it is true that achieving a B.S. is not what it used to be, with the exception of a few other fields (ex. Nursing). But a B.S. in any science field is usually a stepping stone to an even higher degree (grad school, professional school, etc).

I guess ALL I mean to say is I wished I applied and got into pharm school my sophmore year in college b/c that would 1) save me more money...my undergrad was very expensive 2) I would have become a pharmacist at 23 or 24 which would be NOW! :laugh: