why did YOU want to be a PT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTstudent11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A couple of PT student friends of mine were comparing the reasons we got into PT a while back. Just curious why everyone decided to chose PT specifically, and not like RN or MD?

Members don't see this ad.

Because I like that PT treatments don't rely on medication, but more so in strengthening your own body through exercise/modalities, and I also wanted the chance to get to know my patients.

I had originally wanted to go into medicine, but both my mother and aunt are doctors, and I've seen the kind of rigorous schooling they go through, especially to specialize. I didn't want to go through ten years of school before I could start practicing. Plus I don't like blood =]

same kinda reasons. There were a few reasons that i changed from wanting to be doctor to PT. I entered undergrad wanted to be a doctor like half of my freshman bio class. By the second year, half of them had been cut and after anatomy and particular organic chem i realized I didn't want to be studying like this for another 6+ years. I also volunteered at a hospital at the same time and got to see doctors next to PTs. Most doctors would rush from room to room with barely enough time to meet patients or get any real relationships (not their fault just overloaded with patients). The PTs got to share their enthusiasm with patients and got one on one time with them. I also discovered that i didn't feel that i could make life-changing decisions for patients.

Mostly that and I didn't like the idea of colossal debt and neverending residencies. I admire anyone able to do that kind of schooling/training.

Members don't see this ad :)
My reason would be...simply put...Ive ALWAYS had an interest in training, exercising, nutrition, and generally anything that can make your body faster, stronger, healthier, and more able. In becoming a PT i get to learn everything about the body's mechanics and functions that allow it to be such an incredibly well-oiled machine. If being a personal trainer made more money and was more prestigious I'd probably do that...but it doesn't make money, isn't prestigious, and doesn't give ANYWHERE enough knowledge to really help people medically.

People ask me why I wanted PT over MD or PA, somehow assuming they are even slightly related. I wanted to be a PT because of the things I mentioned before. I have no interest in testing people's blood, giving shots, looking in people's eyes, nose, throats, I have no interest in sewing up wounds, cleaning up infections, or prescribing medications. My one real interest is in making people stronger, faster, and more flexible by teaching them how to exercise and give them a chance to better their own health through teaching - something medicine really doesn't accomplish.

Day in and day out I'll be able to feel good about who I am and how I spent my time throughout the day. I actually was heading toward a career in nutrition. For a number of reasons I decided not to pursue this route and started looking at other options including physical therapy. When I was coming out of high school, I wanted to pursue PT but quickly wrote it off because my HS grades weren't all that good. After graduating with the BS degree though, it started to look more like a possibility.

PT will give me the opportunity to help other people and provide me with enough money to take care of myself and my family. The PT certification will give me the required credential to attain the CDE (certified diabetic educator) credential. I plan on using the CDE to help educate the community on diabetes prevention, management, and care. If I pursued medicine, it would take up my entire life given my personality. PT would give me some more variety. I'll be perfectly fine contributing as an allied health professional and will relish my role.