Why do counselors tell me to take two quarters of English Composition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

T-bruin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just looked through the academic requirements for the 34 schools I applied to and not a single one states that I need two courses in english composition. Most of them simply require a year of english composition OR literature. Is there a reason why my counselors told me that two english composition courses are required for med school? I'm on the quarter system by the way.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by T-bruin
I just looked through the academic requirements for the 34 schools I applied to and not a single one states that I need two courses in english composition. Most of them simply require a year of english composition OR literature. Is there a reason why my counselors told me that two english composition courses are required for med school? I'm on the quarter system by the way.

Maybe because med schools want you to be able to write? I'm not sure it matters to the med schools, as long as you take the year of English.

-RA

Members don't see this ad :)
I know I've been told by the counselors at UCLA to take at least one quarter of comp and one of lit, but I don't remember them saying two. I think all that matters is we get our one year in. I haven't seen any specifications in the requirements for the medical schools.

I only had one quarter of English comp. (Accepted at Columbia and 4 other schools). Schools will accept other courses that are writing intensive, as long as there's something in the course description that says that they are. My undergrad had a writing requirement that I met, and all the medschools I applied to (23 of them) seemed to be fiine with it.

Originally posted by kidsmd
I know I've been told by the counselors at UCLA to take at least one quarter of comp and one of lit, but I don't remember them saying two. I think all that matters is we get our one year in. I haven't seen any specifications in the requirements for the medical schools.

That's wierd. All the UCLA pre-prefessional counselors said two quarters of comp.. Oh well, I'm glad to hear this, because I've been going nuts trying to get into an eng. comp. class. Thanks all!