Why do dental schools want to know where I am applying to?

daisies

10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2005
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
This question is on several supplemental applications: "Please list all the dental schools to which you are applying this year." Why is that important? Any ideas?

djeffreyt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Dallas
Status
Dentist
they're nosey.

it depends. As a west coast student, I've heard east coast schools will look at the schools you applied to and if you have really good scores and applied to several California schools, they will assume you'll get in at a west coast school and stay in California or Oregon, so they don't bother with you.

Just a rumor I'm sure, but it's so much fun to fan the flames...

reapply2007

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2006
Status
Dental Student
I had a friend last year get in at UW and CUD. Both schools asked where would you go if you got into your top x schools. I presume he lied to one of them since CUD got the prize.

About the Ads

nightsleep

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
djeffreyt said:
they're nosey.

it depends. As a west coast student, I've heard east coast schools will look at the schools you applied to and if you have really good scores and applied to several California schools, they will assume you'll get in at a west coast school and stay in California or Oregon, so they don't bother with you.

Just a rumor I'm sure, but it's so much fun to fan the flames...
it does happen...another example is if you have good stats and you apply to your own state schools in addition to out of state schools, the out of state ones will assume that you got into your own state school and won't bother with you.

aurora507

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
nightsleep said:
it does happen...another example is if you have good stats and you apply to your own state schools in addition to out of state schools, the out of state ones will assume that you got into your own state school and won't bother with you.
I don't know...that seems like the out of state adcoms are being a bit presumptuous to assume that your top choice is in-state. Also, don't they want that out of state tuition you would bring?

fightingspirit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
Status
Dental Student
daisies said:
This question is on several supplemental applications: "Please list all the dental schools to which you are applying this year." Why is that important? Any ideas?

i thought only penn had a secondary application...

fightingspirit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
Status
Dental Student
reapply2007 said:
I had a friend last year get in at UW and CUD. Both schools asked where would you go if you got into your top x schools. I presume he lied to one of them since CUD got the prize.

he most likely lied to both, which would be the right thing to do becasue when a school or interviewer asks you what is your top choice, they are setting themselves up for a packaged and politically correct answer. how do they expect anyone to reveal this info to them. i too was asked where else i had applied...

Dentorama

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
When I interviewed at UCONN, the interviewers were kind of jerks about this whole topic. They claimed that since I had applied to some more academic schools and some more clinical schools that I really didn't know what I wanted. The whole thing is kind of a catch 22. You have to apply to a lot of schools to get in, but applying to a lot of schools can hurt you as well.

nightsleep

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
aurora507 said:
I don't know...that seems like the out of state adcoms are being a bit presumptuous to assume that your top choice is in-state. Also, don't they want that out of state tuition you would bring?

They do but since they have way more out of state applicants than spots, they will have no trouble filling them. Also, they don't really care if your state school is your top choice, they care that you have a state school, especially if it's a good one. Some people don't even have a state school so they might get preferential treatment.

I'm just saying all of this because that's what an assistant dean from told me from the out of state school I didn't get into. He said that my gpa was equal to those of the out of state applicants accepted and my dat score was even better, but then flat out told me that he assumed I got accepted into my state school (which I listed as one of the schools I applied to in my secondary). He said I wasn't accepted (didn't even get an interview despite my stats) because I had a good state school. This isn't that far-fetched to me...it gives those people without a state school a chance.

djeffreyt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Dallas
Status
Dentist
Dentorama said:
When I interviewed at UCONN, the interviewers were kind of jerks about this whole topic. They claimed that since I had applied to some more academic schools and some more clinical schools that I really didn't know what I wanted. The whole thing is kind of a catch 22. You have to apply to a lot of schools to get in, but applying to a lot of schools can hurt you as well.
SOme schools are jerks about it. You just have to deal with it and have good reasons for why you applied to those different schools...

"I applied to A,B, and C because I have heard from students and seen on the websites that they are very strongly geared towrd clinical dentistry...A let's you have hands on experience by the end of the first year, B uses a competency based grading system which I think is good. I want to be a good clinician when I am a dentist. I applied to X,Y, and Z because they seem to take to heart the idea of a dentist as a doctor, and believe in training you to be more fully prepared and well rounded. I think that this is important too because I'll be dealing with the whole patient in my chair...not just their mouths. I also applied to T, R and J cause the people at those schools are friendly and I didn't want to risk the chance that I wouldn't get accepted to one of the other 6. I know that doesn't sound like a great reason to apply, but I really want to be a dentist, and I know that no matter what school I go to, I will find a way to accomplish all the goals I set for myself in dental school...."blah blah blah.

just need to be prepared for them to then be a jerk after you explain yourself, and frankly, if they want to be an a$$ about it in the end, well, FLlCK'em.

jpollei

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2004
NC
Status
We ask sometimes just because we are curious. Sometimes to see what other schools interest you. Sometimes to see where you believe you are competetive. And sometimes just to give paranoid predents something else to worry about. :)

OP
D

daisies

10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2005
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
thanks everyone for your inputs. good luck!

Yellow Snow

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2004
Pacific NW
Status
Pre-Dental
jpollei said:
Sometimes to see where you believe you are competetive. :)
This is interesting. Do you do anything specific with this information or is it more from curiosity?

jpollei

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2004
NC
Status
Yellow Snow said:
This is interesting. Do you do anything specific with this information or is it more from curiosity?
Sometimes it comes up in adcom meetings, but it really doesn't impact our decision (at least here at UNC) as to whether we accept an applicant or not. It is interesting to see how a program is perceived by people from the outside looking in...i.e. what they think your strengths, weaknesses, etc. are. Just like we look for in all our applicants.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
jpollei said:
Sometimes it comes up in adcom meetings, but it really doesn't impact our decision (at least here at UNC) as to whether we accept an applicant or not. It is interesting to see how a program is perceived by people from the outside looking in...i.e. what they think your strengths, weaknesses, etc. are. Just like we look for in all our applicants.
Good to see you back around here.. doc. :)

SayitIsntSO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2006
Arizona
Status
Pre-Dental
jpollei said:
UNC is also an excellent state school that is not likely to be rejected by a state resident. However, a school such as NYU, that has predominately out of state residents, may consider what other schools an applicant is applying to. I have the assumption that 90% of NC residents who are accepted to NYU and UNC will chose UNC (I know I would). Therefore, NYU would be less inclined to take that resident of UNC w/ great stats b/c he/she will go to UNC instead. UNC has the comfort of asking this question w/out much regard in the final acceptance for the student.

jpollei

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2004
NC
Status
ItsGavinC said:
Good to see you back around here.. doc. :)
Every now and then I pop in...between jobs. :) Nothing like being gainfully employable!

About the Ads