Why do ER docs burn out so quickly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can never figure out why people insist on bumping threads that have recent replies.

Bumping threads should happen if a specific question isn't answered after a week, not a few hours.

It's summer time..............the pre-meds and MS1s are out to bump :sleep:

Members don't see this ad.

I can never figure out why people insist on bumping threads that have recent replies.

Bumping threads should happen if a specific question isn't answered after a week, not a few hours.

I bumped after 6 years. Does that count?

Well, yes and no. You did search, instead of starting a new thread, so you did that right.
However, the risk of bumping a thread this old is that often, the people that were posting in it are no longer participating in this forum. I would say on average, most people post during med school/residency. There are some that post as attendings, but fewer. SERMO has peeled a few off. If you look back at my first intern class, there were quite a bit more postings, and people were completing the Rearview Mirror threads nearly monthly. Now it isn't as quick.
So if you bump an old thread to ask a new take on it, I think that might be ok. Depends on what you ask. If you bump it to ask the people in that thread a specific question, you're probably exercising in futility.

Members don't see this ad :)
The most recent reply was 36 hours prior to your bump time, so no, a thread being that old doesn't count. If there wasn't a reply for 2-3 years, then yes, I could understand bumping it (but without just posting "bump" and instead asking a question that wasn't answered in the thread).

...If you look back at my first intern class, there were quite a bit more postings, and people were completing the Rearview Mirror threads nearly monthly. Now it isn't as quick...
Hey - maybe we're working hard instead of goofing off on SDN! :laugh:

...There are some that post as attendings, but fewer...
That is a shame. I wish ERMudPhuD would come back.

Last edited:
The most recent reply was 36 hours prior to your bump time, so no, a thread being that old doesn't count. If there wasn't a reply for 2-3 years, then yes, I could understand bumping it (but without just posting "bump" and instead asking a question that wasn't answered in the thread).

IO-00021-C~Lets-Have-a-Beer-Posters.jpg

:)

Last edited:
I grew up around Buffalo NY, and never saw it. Then, when I got to Duke, I did. Turns out they opened a brewery somewhere here in the south, which made it expand to here.

Personally, I wasn't totally impressed - not bad, by any means, but just isn't my beer. One of my colleagues, though - he drank it like water.

I really miss Yeungling. I wish there were a way to get it out here.
This is like folks saying they "miss" Dunkin' Donuts "coffee." I just don't get it.

I've never seen it anywhere but Philly and the surrounding region. It's like Coors used to be.
But now you compare Yeungling to Coors?! As one who spent much of his college years metabolizing one Coors product or another, I am offended. I demand satisfaction!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is like folks saying they "miss" Dunkin' Donuts "coffee." I just don't get it.

There are a lot of these memes out there, and I can never understand it. My wife insists that McDonald's has the best ice cream out there. It drives me up the wall. I've heard people say the same thing about their coffee.

What's to understand? I really like Yuengling. I haven't found another beer that I like as much that every restaurant will have. I miss fried seafood from the gulf coast and the pastrami sandwiches from this one place in CA. Doesn't everyone have things that they miss that they can't get as frequently?:confused:

...Doesn't everyone have things that they miss that they can't get as frequently?:confused:...
Oh, I understand completely. I can't find a decent mexican restraunt - and I've tried. Ditto for Thai. And I mentioned Mad Molly above. But this:
...I really like Yuengling...
:hungover:

Doesn't everyone have things that they miss that they can't get as frequently?:confused:

Sleep? Sex?

I bet if I moved farther away from saltwater I would miss seafood. But the places I came from (many) didn't have that many redeeming qualities. I mean, who misses Krystal burgers?
Mayfield milk ranks up there though. This crap down here is pretty awful. Sometimes I would rather pour water on my cereal.

Mayfield milk ranks up there though. This crap down here is pretty awful. Sometimes I would rather pour water on my cereal.

Happy Cow kicks Mayfield's ass up and down the field. And, for some inexplicable reason, Mayfield is more expensive than Happy Cow.

The story behind Happy Cow is interesting - the guy had his dairy, and was doing all the hormones and antibiotics. This guy's dairy was in trouble. One day, the cows broke through the fence and were grazing on the grasses. He let them. He got better returns from the cows. The milk goes through 40 feet of pipe TOTAL.

You have to shake up Happy Cow before you pour it, because it's not emulsified. Happy Cow chocolate milk is the best you'll ever find made from a cow's milk, bar none.

glad some others enjoy my taste for yeungling. and those nay sayers it is the oldest brewrey in the US you know ;) I have mostly lived in the NY/PA/NJ area so finding it has never been a problem for me. Oh and yeungling and coors are def not on the same level

glad some others enjoy my taste for yeungling. and those nay sayers it is the oldest brewrey in the US you know ;) I have mostly lived in the NY/PA/NJ area so finding it has never been a problem for me. Oh and yeungling and coors are def not on the same level
For the record I wasn't comparing Yuengling to Coors in terms of quality. I was noting that Coors used to ba a strictly regional beer and is now everywhere. Another example would be Sierra Nevada.

For the record I wasn't comparing Yuengling to Coors in terms of quality. I was noting that Coors used to ba a strictly regional beer and is now everywhere. Another example would be Sierra Nevada.
My father remembers making runs in college to Colorado (from western PA where he was in school) to fill up the car with coors and drive back, a la smokey and the bandit. Kind of a shame that coors is ubiquitous now.

I never heard of "yuengling" till I went to Penn State. There is a brewery in Tampa too, so now I have it in Florida which makes me very happy.

Doesn't everyone have things that they miss that they can't get as frequently?:confused:

I grew up in East Texas. I thought I'd have a seizure if I ever saw another pine tree. Now, 23 years after graduation, I almost miss the things.

Almost.

Take care,
Jeff

BTW, if I moved from Texas, I'd have absolute fits without my Blue Bell ice cream.

I see blue bell everywhere.....I grew up with it in Indiana.

Wow, this thread spans 7 years! When this thread was started, I was still pimply and awkward in high school. but thanks for the info guys! I'm trying to decide if I want to do EM or surgery, but I have a few years until I have to really decide.

Happy Cow kicks Mayfield's ass up and down the field. And, for some inexplicable reason, Mayfield is more expensive than Happy Cow.

The story behind Happy Cow is interesting - the guy had his dairy, and was doing all the hormones and antibiotics. This guy's dairy was in trouble. One day, the cows broke through the fence and were grazing on the grasses. He let them. He got better returns from the cows. The milk goes through 40 feet of pipe TOTAL.

You have to shake up Happy Cow before you pour it, because it's not emulsified. Happy Cow chocolate milk is the best you'll ever find made from a cow's milk, bar none.

Interesting stuff on their website. I didn't realize that when something travels through a pipe it gets 'bruised' (by way of its 'molecules breaking down'). So if you drink NYC tap water that has traveled hundreds of miles from upstate, you're drinking broken down H2O. Bruised water. Good times.

Interesting stuff on their website. I didn't realize that when something travels through a pipe it gets 'bruised' (by way of its 'molecules breaking down'). So if you drink NYC tap water that has traveled hundreds of miles from upstate, you're drinking broken down H2O. Bruised water. Good times.

Water is H2O - very simple. Milk is MUCH more complex. Recall you're a trained scientist, also - the Happy Cow Creamery isn't aiming for you, despite your sarcasm.

Elsewhere on SDN, years and years ago, I posted a thread entitled "Tasty Tap Water", and I mentioned the water in NYC, and also south of Buffalo where I grew up, and how it was great right out of the faucet.

Water is H2O - very simple. Milk is MUCH more complex. Recall you're a trained scientist, also - the Happy Cow Creamery isn't aiming for you, despite your sarcasm.

Elsewhere on SDN, years and years ago, I posted a thread entitled "Tasty Tap Water", and I mentioned the water in NYC, and also south of Buffalo where I grew up, and how it was great right out of the faucet.

I guess they're not aiming for people who have taken a college chemistry class, but it sounded like you bought into it as well (though I'm sure you simply wrote it to point out how simplified and local their processing is...). In terms of milk vs water, yes milk is more complex, but I still don't see how piping milk through long, large pipes is going to 'break it down'.

The reason I pointed it out is because it irks me when I see lay people using scientific terms to 'explain' something. E.g., the other day I had a discussion with a friend who tells me she has hypothyroidism and is on levo. Then she asks me if it's true you can cure hypothyroidism with a "white-cell cleanout". I understandably laughed it off, and she insisted and said that "it makes a lot of sense because if you fix the white cells bla bla bla". Of course she had no idea what a white cell actually does or how and what the thyroid does. Anyway, I don't think it's too much too expect that if a lay person is going to use a term like 'molecules breaking down' they should know what it means and use it correctly.

NYC tap water is consistently rated among the best tap waters around. And I've personally compared NYC taps with Upstate and Western NY taps and NYC is better IMHO. Regardless, the taste of the tap water has nothing to do with the molecules and their state after traveling miles and miles but with minerals and 'stuff' in the water that it picks up or drops off along the way.

Last edited:
I don't understand the ER doctors who are upset that it's not all emergencies. As if they didn't have any experience in an ER before picking that specialty. I've been volunteering in an ER for a little over half a year now and realized within the first day that the majority of people were in there because they just needed to see a doctor and didn't have money (or it was a weekend and their doctor wasn't open). Fyi, I want to be an ER doctor despite all that.

I don't understand the ER doctors who are upset that it's not all emergencies. As if they didn't have any experience in an ER before picking that specialty. I've been volunteering in an ER for a little over half a year now and realized within the first day that the majority of people were in there because they just needed to see a doctor and didn't have money (or it was a weekend and their doctor wasn't open). Fyi, I want to be an ER doctor despite all that.

Your comment is essentially hijacking the thread (from the bruised water discourse) but the bolded area of your text is exactly what we have a problem with.

People are using the EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT as a drive-thru window for all of their medical needs. I have no problem with the laceration, vomiting, or other URGENT medical problem coming in on Sunday. I do have a problem with the "my foot hurts for 4 years", or the "I have had a runny nose for 4 days", or "my doctor wants $75 to be seen" patients.

This is the problem with our medical system. Americans want all of their healthcare NOW and they want it FREE.

Speaking of the opposite of tasty tap water (NYC being definite quality), Clearwater FL is the most misnamed city in the US. The water was so nasty that even the fountain drinks were undrinkable. And this was after an all day roller hockey tournament. I was forced to resort to beer to rehydrate. For shame Clearwater, for shame.

My typical reply to this question stands...

If you can not be satisfied working a couple shifts a month for near $200 an hour...... you probably can't be satisfied.

For that money, I would almost stand outside naked in the arctic...maybe cut myself with a razor... go to church with a mohawk...etc. Point is, you can do ANYTHING for a few days a month.

I think the whole burnout thing is old news when the burned out FP and IM doctors 'worked in the ER'..of course they burned out, they already did once. Either way, these days if you do get burned out and do not want to work 12 shifts a month (TWELVE days a month!) then tune it down to 1 day a week. You can still do a 6 figure income if you go to the right part of the contry...

In an effort to help this thread to it's natural SDN EM conclusion, I'll just jump ahead a bit here....

BEER%20shiner%20bock.gif

Thank you and good night.

Take care,
Jeff

Merry Christmas, Jeff, and to all a good night.
Shiner%20Holiday%20Cheer.jpg

Last edited:
My typical reply to this question stands...

If you can not be satisfied working a couple shifts a month for near $200 an hour...... you probably can't be satisfied.

For that money, I would almost stand outside naked in the arctic...maybe cut myself with a razor... go to church with a mohawk...etc. Point is, you can do ANYTHING for a few days a month.

I think the whole burnout thing is old news when the burned out FP and IM doctors 'worked in the ER'..of course they burned out, they already did once. Either way, these days if you do get burned out and do not want to work 12 shifts a month (TWELVE days a month!) then tune it down to 1 day a week. You can still do a 6 figure income if you go to the right part of the contry...

I completely disagree. Burn out still exists. I actually think it exists in medicine as a whole but that's another story altogether. While I am perfectly happy right now, I can see it in colleagues. They work slower. They complain. And to be honest, working in an ER is hard work. You have to be "on" your entire shift. There's no sitting at your desk, replying to emails, google searching for the latest Tiger Woods story (unless it's a real slow night). In addition, time shifting wears on you. Nights only get harder.

You have to be adaptable and I feel that most who choose EM have this ability, but some clearly do it better than others. The varying shifts, work, patients is part of what makes the job fun but it can also be seen as a challenge.