Why do international students choose more $$ schools (like Melb and USyd)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med4evah

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
As I research different Australian MD schools as an international Canadian applicant, and personally the expenses part does shake me a little. So I am trying to compare schools and understand living in big cities based on overall expenses of an international medical student. Would really appreciate your thoughts and insights please :).
1. Do most international students choose "the top" (like Melb,USyd, UQ) because of its "known world-wide" reputation and ranking alone (I ask this because I have heard that schools like Melb and Syd, being a big cohort, fast paced schools, in bigger cities, have unfortunately also high cases of mental exhaustion and burnout, less student satisfaction :/)
2. Knowing these are expensive places to study (combining cost of living and tuition, etc)., and that most of the internationals will be taking huge loans or LoC, why are Melb and Syd more likely "chosen"? If you did choose them, could you please share some tips on how you survive weekly with the expenses. Does the money with the LoC and loans help you survive ok-ishly (even if you do part-time job)? :)
3. Also, there are not many scholarship aids in Melb and Sydney for incoming international students (compared to schools like UQ, or relatively "newer" school like Griffith, etc.) considering they might get more money through different research/clinical fundings and high tuition (etc.)? Knowing they are the most expensive programs for the incoming students, why not provide financial support like some other newer schools (with probably lesser money) might?

Do you think choosing them also has to do largely with helping matching back to Canada/US...But even if it is a factor, does the overall cost of studying make it worth living in Melb and Syd in your eyes?

Ty! :)

Members don't see this ad.

some are supported by parents, some aren't. as a result students vary in the opportunities they have available to them

where you go in australia for med school doesn't matter much if you're planning to match back to the US, although you will get a boost if you attend USyd/Umelb, a significant boost if you attend UQ. but at the end of the day you pick your school based on which you can afford

if you just want to practice in Australia, where you go doesn't matter too much in terms of matching internships, but you may want to select the school most suited to your needs

Reactions: 1 user
some are supported by parents, some aren't. as a result students vary in the opportunities they have available to them

where you go in australia for med school doesn't matter much if you're planning to match back to the US, although you will get a boost if you attend USyd/Umelb, a significant boost if you attend UQ. but at the end of the day you pick your school based on which you can afford

if you just want to practice in Australia, where you go doesn't matter too much in terms of matching internships, but you may want to select the school most suited to your needs
Thank you so much for your response! :)

Reactions: 1 user