USyd & UQ Application (Traditional MD) 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chummy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just submitted my applications to USyd and UQ a week ago for the traditional MD programmes. Created this thread to connect with others who are also applying to Australian medical schools for 2022 and also feeling a bit antsy about uncertainty and if the borders will open for future international students. I am also from Singapore so feel free to reach me if anyone wants to discuss about future accoms too or just connecting.

Members don't see this ad.

I just received an offer from UQ and am given 21 days to make a decision. At the same time, I am also awaiting updates from USyd which their timeline seems to suggest their offers only come in Sept. Has anyone been in this situation before or is also in the same situation?

UQ seems to allow you to get a refund of the initial deposit but you incur cancellation charges of $2k which to me is still a hefty sum. But I am also not sure how long it takes UQ to release you if you choose to withdraw your offer and accept another school's offer.

Anyone has any advice? Thanks!

I just received an offer from UQ and am given 21 days to make a decision. At the same time, I am also awaiting updates from USyd which their timeline seems to suggest their offers only come in Sept. Has anyone been in this situation before or is also in the same situation?

UQ seems to allow you to get a refund of the initial deposit but you incur cancellation charges of $2k which to me is still a hefty sum. But I am also not sure how long it takes UQ to release you if you choose to withdraw your offer and accept another school's offer.

Anyone has any advice? Thanks!
Hi there. I got an offer to UQ as well and also applied to USyd. From what I know and have read on their website, USyd has a requirement for their MD program that all students must be onshore. That's difficult for us as international students because we don't know if the border will be open, and if its not open by January, then we can't attend USyd. So yeah. What are your thoughts on attending UQ vs USyd?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

Just submitted my applications to USyd and UQ a week ago for the traditional MD programmes. Created this thread to connect with others who are also applying to Australian medical schools for 2022 and also feeling a bit antsy about uncertainty and if the borders will open for future international students. I am also from Singapore so feel free to reach me if anyone wants to discuss about future accoms too or just connecting.
Also, I'm from Canada haha!

Hi there. I got an offer to UQ as well and also applied to USyd. From what I know and have read on their website, USyd has a requirement for their MD program that all students must be onshore. That's difficult for us as international students because we don't know if the border will be open, and if its not open by January, then we can't attend USyd. So yeah. What are your thoughts on attending UQ vs USyd?
Canadian applicant here - didn't apply to UQ but applied to USyd. There's no guarantee with the border, but NSW does have their international student corridor proposal and vaccination rates are beginning to pick up for what it's worth. I'd love to chat about your thoughts on attending USyd if you'd like!

Canadian applicant here - didn't apply to UQ but applied to USyd. There's no guarantee with the border, but NSW does have their international student corridor proposal and vaccination rates are beginning to pick up for what it's worth. I'd love to chat about your thoughts on attending USyd if you'd like!
Hey. If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose not to apply to UQ and instead USyd? I'm still considering both, but UQ offers just came out and the spots fill out very fast, so I accepted my offer. Would love to hear your thoughts on USyd as well :)

Hey. If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose not to apply to UQ and instead USyd? I'm still considering both, but UQ offers just came out and the spots fill out very fast, so I accepted my offer. Would love to hear your thoughts on USyd as well :)
I don't mind at all! It's mostly because I have family that lives in Sydney, as well as personally wanting to live there for a while now. In terms of the education, I don't think you can go wrong with either; Sydney's technically ranked higher, but doubt that means overly much in the grand scheme of things.

My first choice is actually USyd because of their medical curriculum in that they offer clinical experience from your first year - this year's first years that I spoke to said they already went into clinics in their first week. And that to me is key to allowing me to apply the clinical knowledge we learn from the books and lessons earlier. After all, it is commonly said that plenty of active clinical experience and early patient contact will allow you to prepare for internship and beyond.

Whereas UQ although also provides lessons on clinical history note taking and some bedside skills training in the first year, you aren't given clinical experience in the curriculum in the first two years. Exceptions if say you seek out such opportunities outside of school based on one recent UQ alumni's sharing.

So for me, I am inclined to USyd more for reasons of their curriculum and smaller cohort size. Just my thoughts and opinions.

Is there a reason why you accepted UQ so readily?

And yes the international travel situation seems bleak at this current moment but hopefully the talks of the international student corridor will still be realised at the end of this year so *fingers crossed*

I would think that for economic reasons, Aus will eventually have to open their borders sooner or later since they earn so much revenue from us international students....

My first choice is actually USyd because of their medical curriculum in that they offer clinical experience from your first year - this year's first years that I spoke to said they already went into clinics in their first week. And that to me is key to allowing me to apply the clinical knowledge we learn from the books and lessons earlier. After all, it is commonly said that plenty of active clinical experience and early patient contact will allow you to prepare for internship and beyond.

Whereas UQ although also provides lessons on clinical history note taking and some bedside skills training in the first year, you aren't given clinical experience in the curriculum in the first two years. Exceptions if say you seek out such opportunities outside of school based on one recent UQ alumni's sharing.

So for me, I am inclined to USyd more for reasons of their curriculum and smaller cohort size. Just my thoughts and opinions.

Is there a reason why you accepted UQ so readily?
Not true. UQ's curriculum in second year provides once a week clinical coaching in the hospital where you practice history taking and physical exams on real patients with a clinician tutor. But you are correct in that at UQ first year clinical coaching is done in the classroom with clinician tutors where you practice history taking and physical exam skills on your classmates.

Not true. UQ's curriculum in second year provides once a week clinical coaching in the hospital where you practice history taking and physical exams on real patients with a clinician tutor. But you are correct in that at UQ first year clinical coaching is done in the classroom with clinician tutors where you practice history taking and physical exam skills on your classmates.
Hi there. Thanks for the response. If you don't mind sharing, are you currently attending an Australian medical school? Would love to speak to you if you are able to. Thanks :)

Hi there. Thanks for the response. If you don't mind sharing, are you currently attending an Australian medical school? Would love to speak to you if you are able to. Thanks :)
No I am not. I graduated. Feel free to PM me but you're probably better off talking to a current student who is more up to date with those individual schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a current UQ-Ochsner student. At this point, I don't think turning down a UQ offer to wait on Sydney is a good idea. Sydney's technically the better name and their program does offer some unique features, but it's not really going to make a difference when it comes to matching to your home country or getting an internship in Australia (and actually UQ's larger international cohort means they have more resources and expertise for matching to students' home countries). Both programs will prepare you to be a doctor, and regardless you'll learn what you need to during residency anyway.

If you have a very specific need to be in Sydney for whatever reason, that's fine, but I do think there's a good chance the borders won't be open in time so make sure your reasons are worth the risk of waiting a year.

Can anyone guess or knows if the upcoming First years (getting offers this year) have any chance of getting in Australia timely based on whenever Australia's Pilot program starts (for getting international students in...I believe they were planning on starting that this year). I understand those who have to do their clinical (2nd, 3rd, 4th years) will be prioritized. In that case, should we really assume that as 1st years we will be starting school as online and continue it for some time? Would appreciate your educated guesses and opinions! :)

Can anyone guess or knows if the upcoming First years (getting offers this year) have any chance of getting in Australia timely based on whenever Australia's Pilot program starts (for getting international students in...I believe they were planning on starting that this year). I understand those who have to do their clinical (2nd, 3rd, 4th years) will be prioritized. In that case, should we really assume that as 1st years we will be starting school as online and continue it for some time? Would appreciate your educated guesses and opinions! :)
The info I have here is from UQ recent seminar . They said they are working to get the 1st year to Aus but it still pending on Aus gov approval etc. They said worst case scenario is that we have to do online classes (UQ already have this in place) for a few months but we will have to be in Aus asap once border open up (ours student loans required us to have in person classes and not online , so UQ is force to do in person sooner or later)

Anyone tradition international applicants here got waitlisted? Wondering when will there be an update 😖

Hi y'all! just wanted to let you know that Sydney has updated the Sydney student portal with Stage 1 assessment results

Hi y'all! just wanted to let you know that Sydney has updated the Sydney student portal with Stage 1 assessment results
Thanks for the update! I got rejected from Sydney unfortunately. I hope you have heard better news!

UQ it is for me and I am not complaining. And like what @Wolvs mentioned:

.....it's not really going to make a difference when it comes to matching to your home country or getting an internship in Australia (and actually UQ's larger international cohort means they have more resources and expertise for matching to students' home countries). Both programs will prepare you to be a doctor, and regardless you'll learn what you need to during residency anyway.
I think in the longer run, the choice of Australian school might not matter much in being a good qualified doctor.

I got rejected as well, but thank you for your kind words! I am happy UQ worked out for you though! Wishing you all the very best <3 :)

In other news (😅), UQ round 2 decision just came in everyone

Did anyone get accepted by Sydney? I didn't get any email...

OzTREKK sent an email saying I got rejected from USyd and everyone from Round 2 of UQ got waitlisted :/

OzTREKK sent an email saying I got rejected from USyd and everyone from Round 2 of UQ got waitlisted :/
I am sorry to hear that. It seems like both schools are getting increasingly competitive and I am surprised for the case of UQ as the previous cycle, I had friends who were accepted in Round 4.

I believe there is still hope for all those who are waitlisted for UQ considering other Australian schools' offers are only coming out later and there could be some who have accepted UQ's and might choose to withdraw their offer if given other schools' offers.

I got rejected as well, but thank you for your kind words! I am happy UQ worked out for you though! Wishing you all the very best <3 :)
Fingers crossed for you!! :) It will be great to connect if we become classmates in UQ!

• Care
Thanks for the update! I got rejected from Sydney unfortunately. I hope you have heard better news!

UQ it is for me and I am not complaining. And like what @Wolvs mentioned:

I think in the longer run, the choice of Australian school might not matter much in being a good qualified doctor.
Yo, I am curious to find out whether you have an idea of the reason why you might have been rejected before the confirmation email?

I'm also an international student but I'm applying with a pretty bad gamsat score instead of mcat (think not that much higher than the eligibility cutoff). Taking into account you guys got offers/ interviews at Melb I would have thought your stats would be quite a bit better than mine? The email I got as part of the confirmation indicated that they were going to score rank applicants after, not before that stage.

Yo, I am curious to find out whether you have an idea of the reason why you might have been rejected before the confirmation email?

I'm also an international student but I'm applying with a pretty bad gamsat score instead of mcat (think not that much higher than the eligibility cutoff). Taking into account you guys got offers/ interviews at Melb I would have thought your stats would be quite a bit better than mine? The email I got as part of the confirmation indicated that they were going to score rank applicants after, not before that stage.
Hey vakuri, yeah I was told by USyd that my test scores (MCAT) was not competitive enough.

I was lucky for UQ because I applied before Round 1 deadline.

And nope, I did not apply for Melb.

The info I have here is from UQ recent seminar . They said they are working to get the 1st year to Aus but it still pending on Aus gov approval etc. They said worst case scenario is that we have to do online classes (UQ already have this in place) for a few months but we will have to be in Aus asap once border open up (ours student loans required us to have in person classes and not online , so UQ is force to do in person sooner or later)
Hey, I just read this. When you say "ours student loans", what loans are you exactly referring to? Is this government loans if you're in the US or Canada? Not sure, but I would like to know if loans in Canada are affected if we're online the first year and not in person. Thanks.

Sorry about not being clear, they were talking about US loans not Canada loans

Same situation here. Wondering when the institute would change its terms given the increasing number of covid cases in Sydney.

Hi guys, I'm new here so i'm not sure if I'm supposed to create a new thread (I don't know how to either), but I was wondering if you took a gamsat preparation course when studying for it? I know many people advise against it but I just need a little guidance on how to study for it so I can plan accordingly. Any suggestions are helpful, thanks in advance :)

Hi guys, I'm new here so i'm not sure if I'm supposed to create a new thread (I don't know how to either), but I was wondering if you took a gamsat preparation course when studying for it? I know many people advise against it but I just need a little guidance on how to study for it so I can plan accordingly. Any suggestions are helpful, thanks in advance :)
most internationals from canada and US take the mcat! Australian forums are probably better at giving gamsat advice