Why do nurses use so many titles in their name?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

urgewrx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read a document from my hospital's whatever committee signed by the president, some medical officers, and a nurse. The nurse in the group was the one with the most titles after her name. Something like this:

John Smith, CRNA, MSN, BSN, ARPN

WHY? All of them only mean one thing: They went to CRNA school. Congratulations! Now explain me why they have to waste so much ink for that?

Members don't see this ad.

tell me about it! i was wondering the same thing. anyways, an MD/DO supercedes them all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, there are many different titles for doctors as well:
MD, DO, DPM, PharmD, DDS, DMD, DPT, PhD, DC, MBBS, MBChB, DOM, DM, ND... I bet a lot of people don't know what all these mean.

I read a document from my hospital's whatever committee signed by the president, some medical officers, and a nurse. The nurse in the group was the one with the most titles after her name. Something like this:

John Smith, CRNA, MSN, BSN, ARPN

WHY? All of them only mean one thing: They went to CRNA school. Congratulations! Now explain me why they have to waste so much ink for that?

For the same reason that MDs put all their initials after their names on documents. There are some that have the entire alphabet run on after theirs.

I don't think I've ever seen a physician put their bachelors degree after their name. I'm not saying it's never happened, just I've never seen it. :cool:

Well, there are many different titles for doctors as well:
MD, DO, DPM, PharmD, DDS, DMD, DPT, PhD, DC, MBBS, MBChB, DOM, DM, ND... I bet a lot of people don't know what all these mean.
And how many of them use multiple titles? Not many.

Use your most senior degree and/or title and let the rest go.

Status
Not open for further replies.