Why do pharmacists not have strong organizations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted390966

l

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because people see this as a job and not as a career.

Reactions: 5 users
Because the chains are the main contributors to the organizations' causes, so the organizations do not want to speak out against the chains.

Members don't see this ad :)
The current pharmacy organizations have their own agenda, which doesn't represent more pharmacists. Also, very few doctors are part of the AMA, most doctors feel the same way, that the AMA does not represent the most doctors. What is needed is a new grass-roots organization that can be built up to represent pharmacists. Would pharmacists then support such an organization? I'm not convinced that they would, its a moot point anyway, since no pharmacist wants to invest their time and money in starting such an organization.

What is needed is a new grass-roots organization that can be built up to represent pharmacists. Would pharmacists then support such an organization? I'm not convinced that they would, its a moot point anyway, since no pharmacist wants to invest their time and money in starting such an organization.
Which interests need to be represented by an umbrella organization? That's the problem. APhA kinda represents us, but no one wants to chip in that much money for an organization that just doesn't give a good return on investment. ASHP does a decent job representing clinical interests. ACCP is like the radical branch of ASHP that won't even chip into the effort to get provider recognition for pharmacists. The current bill isn't stringent enough in their eyes.

I think it's because pharmacists are largely fragmented. Whenever issues regarding increased scopes of practice come about the clinical/hospitalists tend to be all for it whereas the retail/community pharmacists are against it because they feel like their company will force them to do more work without increased pay/pharmacist help. The interests between clinical, hospital, compounding and community pharmacy are different.

I try to be involved. I am a member of APhA, my state pharmacy organization and I do attend meetings for both like midyear and various events, I've written to members of my state legislature and I know some pharmacists who are very involved. I know others though who feel like it's not worth the time and that opposing organizations are just too strong to actually make any progress so any effort isn't worth doing when you know you'll probably lose (which isn't always the case).

Reactions: 1 users
Yup, what everyone else said.

It's going to be a real bumpy ride. If you're in retail, get some lipstick (regardless of gender) and get ready for buttkissing left and right.

And if you're a successful independent, please don't sell out to corporate ... it just makes a bad situation worse.

I agree with Digsbe. The majority of the profession is in community and they don't want the increased workload from their employers. I know retail pharmacists dreading Outcomes MTM potentially coming to their company.

Reactions: 2 users
what everyone said,

mainly chains are contributors of these orgs, and the more saturation the better for the chains. also the org that accredits new pharmacy schools benefits from collecting money from each school as well as money from every new school opening, why not just open more schools?!

Reactions: 1 user
im not wasting my time representing this dying profession, im just using my time outside of work to enjoy my life also to invest my money into something else in case/when pharmacy fails me

what everyone said,

mainly chains are contributors of these orgs, and the more saturation the better for the chains. also the org that accredits new pharmacy schools benefits from collecting money from each school as well as money from every new school opening, why not just open more schools?!

The large chains are not the major contributors "of these orgs" ... APhA is funded primarily by students and academia. NCPA - Independents... AMCP - PBMs... ACCP - amb care dreamers... Chains get involved when their bottom line is involved. Which IMO is very smart

The large chains are not the major contributors "of these orgs" ... APhA is funded primarily by students and academia. NCPA - Independents... AMCP - PBMs... ACCP - amb care dreamers... Chains get involved when their bottom line is involved. Which IMO is very smart

Look what I found. Some large chains I found that are corporate sponsors if APhA include CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid.

Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 10.50.28 PM.png

^ Well oh f****. No wonder APHA sucks so much, sponsored by the big chains and big pharma. Not a penny of my dues going to this corrupt organization

Members don't see this ad :)
Medication Therapy Management = MTM

Last edited:
MTM...they've been talking about it for what, the last 15 years?

Look what I found. Some large chains I found that are corporate sponsors if APhA include CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid.

View attachment 186619

Smoke and mirrors... I believe I said the chains pick and choose where they get involved. Being on the sponsor list makes sense if they are 25% involved because that's more than 0%. Find me a better infographic that breaks down the money streams. Follow the money baby. Look at the platform APhA runs on for key button issues. If you are smart you can probably pick out which ones the chains will support when it comes down to lobbying. Someone else summed it up nicely, expanded scope of practice leads to expanded responsibilities at the chains which they may or may not get paid for. MTM is a great example now in which chains are getting strong armed to perform and check boxes at negative margins to satisfy the health plans.

^ apparently you don't know what you are taking about.

Look up the percentage of pharmacist in APhA and then get back to us. Ever wonder why the APhA never talked about poor working conditions?

^ apparently you don't know what you are taking about.

Look up the percentage of pharmacist in APhA and then get back to us. Ever wonder why the APhA never talked about poor working conditions?

I believe I said APhA was students and academia. Aka those not close to the poor working conditions you speak of.

I believe I said APhA was students and academia. Aka those not close to the poor working conditions you speak of.

Stop trying to split hair. You think working condition is not important for future pharmacists?

Stop trying to split hair. You think working condition is not important for future pharmacists?

I think future pharmacists are unaware of the true working conditions thus the issue is a moot point for the organization because the academia voice of MTM has them all captivated on some fantasy. Ignorance is bliss. Once they get into real world they quickly realize they don't want scope to expand because that means more work in the same amount of time and since that's the main platform for APhA they get fed up.

we have pharmacy organizations like APhA, but their main concern is getting provider status. they don't care about the long lines at pharmacy, or severely limited tech hours, etc.

Hopefully a comet crashes on Earth providing us all a sweet and quick relief from the overwhelming burden of debt.

Last edited:
The leaders of AphA and other pharmacy organizations are kind of like scared puppies with their tails tucked behind their hindlegs. They have no backbone and are willing to sell out to corporations.

The AMA, on the flip side, encouraged Congress to FIX the number of residency positions twenty to thirty years ago. This keeps the number of practicing physicians low and their salary relatively high. This also protects the integrity of the profession by making sure the best of the best serves the public. Obviously, this move came back to haunt current medical school students looking for residency, as there are more students than positions, but that's besides the point.

the moral lesson is: try to get in medical schools in the first place (or avoid this Titanic called pharmacy... lol)

Hopefully a comet crashes on Earth providing us all a sweet and quick relief from the overwhelming burden of debt.

I don't think a comet come anytime soon for the job you want it to do... on the other hand, this nurse might do it for you,

http://woodtv.com/2014/10/30/nurse-defies-ebola-quarantine-with-bike-ride/

:scared::scared::scared::scared:

MTM...they've been talking about it for what, the last 15 years?

Only much longer than that, it's went under different names at least 25 years that I've seen (I've heard older pharmacists mention it being pushed as far back as the '70's.)

Pharmacy does have strong organizations... VERY strong. They're called Walgreen Co. CVS Corp. Rite Aid Corp. Their so strong that pharmacist have no say so in anything at all. :)

yup, taking over the country.. patients or pharmacists have no choice.

Pharmacy does have strong organizations... VERY strong. They're called Walgreen Co. CVS Corp. Rite Aid Corp. Their so strong that pharmacist have no say so in anything at all. :)
They did protect our profession's ass against PBMS. I may be a lone voice here but without strong national chains towing the line for as long as they did, PBMs would have crushed smaller players and may have wiped out retail by and large.

They did protect our profession's ass against PBMS. I may be a lone voice here but without strong national chains towing the line for as long as they did, PBMs would have crushed smaller players and may have wiped out retail by and large.
You really think they would have eliminated retail entirely?

I
You really think they would have eliminated retail entirely?
No. I think maintenance refills would have been completely commoditized years ago and if that were true would pharmacists still be in a position today to offer the clinical services just starting to roll out? Salaries? The chains rapid growth also lead to current salaries in both inpatient and outpatient since retail dominated the employment market. I can't really hate a corporation anyway...it's like hating a chair. I'd be willing to bet that walgreens or cvs did more positive things for the profession than all the pharmacy organizations combined up to this point.

I

No. I think maintenance refills would have been completely commoditized years ago and if that were true would pharmacists still be in a position today to offer the clinical services just starting to roll out? Salaries? The chains rapid growth also lead to current salaries in both inpatient and outpatient since retail dominated the employment market. I can't really hate a corporation anyway...it's like hating a chair. I'd be willing to bet that walgreens or cvs did more positive things for the profession than all the pharmacy organizations combined up to this point.

Bingo. People want expanded scope of practice. The chains made immunizations by pharmacists the main way people get them. People want more focus on adherence counseling. The chains push "refill calls" to the stores and the pharmacists complain about doing them. The orgs are great at coming up with ideas, the big boys are great at implementing and making them feasible for an ROI. The orgs then continue to push for more as people don't want to be "stuck working the bench" and chains will continue to exploit whatever it is the orgs want.