Why do Programs Ask Applicant Where They Have Interviewed/Applied to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Every program I've interviewed at so far has asked me what other programs I've interviewed at or will interview at and what other programs I've applied to. Why do they ask this question... is it curiosity?

It makes me uncomfortable but I feel like I'm forced to answer them.

Members don't see this ad.

Every program I've interviewed at so far has asked me what other programs I've interviewed at or will interview at and what other programs I've applied to. Why do they ask this question... is it curiosity?

Why does it make you uncomfortable?

They also ask you "why you applied here" and "what are you looking for in a program?" They're all in the same vein.

By asking you where else you are applying they are trying to get a feel for what you are looking for. And if they really fit into what you are looking for or not.

By asking you where else you are applying they are trying to get a feel for what you are looking for. And if they really fit into what you are looking for or not.

Agree. It's not a malicious question, just answer it.

-AT.

I usually don't ask for specific places, but I often ask where in the country they are applying and something about their current travel. I don't really care about the answer (although I like to see that someone is not terribly provincial). I'm just trying to throw out some softball icebreakers before going on to the more probing questions.

I don't particularly like being asked that question either, and it can even come across as borderline impolite if the occasional interviewer repeatedly presses you to "name names." But my experience has been that most interviewers who ask this question don't actually want a list of specific names; they want to know what you're looking for in a residency. If you explain what factors matter to you (curriculum features, resources, geography, hobbies, etc.), that will help both you and the interviewer get better info to decide if that program might be a good fit for you. Basically, try to answer the question behind the question. They want to get to know you just like you want to get to know them.

So here’s the official NRMP stance:

http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/faq/us_seniors_faq.html#30

During my interview, the program director asked me about other programs to which I had applied. Am I obligated to provide that information?

Section 6.0 of the Match Participation Agreement prohibits programs from requiring applicants to reveal the names or identities of programs to which they have or may apply. Any program that requires an applicant to disclose such information is in violation of NRMP policy and will be investigated by the NRMP.

So basically, if programs ask this question, applicants shouldn’t feel any pressure or obligation to answer. Certainly, you can answer the question if you want to. I agree that most programs are simply looking for insight in what you as an applicant are looking for in a program. So if you get asked this question and are uncomfortable, I would answer in generalities as suggested by QofQ above. And if a program forces you to answer in specifics, it could be considered a match violation. I am fairly certain that a lot of interviewers are not aware of this policy. But the question could be viewed along the same vein as "where do we stand on your ROL?"

So here’s the official NRMP stance:

http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/faq/us_seniors_faq.html#30

So basically, if programs ask this question, applicants shouldn’t feel any pressure or obligation to answer. Certainly, you can answer the question if you want to. I agree that most programs are simply looking for insight in what you as an applicant are looking for in a program. So if you get asked this question and are uncomfortable, I would answer in generalities as suggested by QofQ above. And if a program forces you to answer in specifics, it could be considered a match violation. I am fairly certain that a lot of interviewers are not aware of this policy. But the question could be viewed along the same vein as "where do we stand on your ROL?"

violation or not i would say its a terrible idea to tell the interviewer that they are violating nmrp rules by asking. Just answer the question.

violation or not i would say its a terrible idea to tell the interviewer that they are violating nmrp rules by asking. Just answer the question.
Agreed. And be vague, if you want. I doubt very much programs will care.

At a recent interviews, I answered the question with "I'm applying to University of California, Private U, Acme University, and about 15 other programs, mostly research-oriented schools that have good public hospital and VA exposure." Everyone's been fine with that.

Be polite and helpful and give them an idea of what you're looking for. But don't feel compelled to list all 12 programs you're hoping to interview at if you don't want to. You're not filling out a card for their marketing department.

Agreed. And be vague, if you want. I doubt very much programs will care.

At a recent interviews, I answered the question with "I'm applying to University of California, Private U, Acme University, and about 15 other programs, mostly research-oriented schools that have good public hospital and VA exposure." Everyone's been fine with that.

Be polite and helpful and give them an idea of what you're looking for. But don't feel compelled to list all 12 programs you're hoping to interview at if you don't want to. You're not filling out a card for their marketing department.

My stock answer to this question was "I'm interviewing at programs across the country including (insert name of 2 or 3 programs above and below where I was interviewing)" and only one person pushed me any further (I had already decided I hated that place anyway so I pushed back a little).