Why do some go from PharmD to MD/DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But...not you...?

Your simplifying MD=Dx PharmD=Rx experts is way too dumbed down and not really that accurate, just FYI. Although you're right that MDs can't do it all, I think most people for some reason think pharmacists are wannabe MDs when that's only the case for a very small minority. The rest is pre-med/pre-pharm hand-waving bull****.

Once people start their training and get pounded away in the hospital six days a week for a few years they forget these stupid turf battles and just want everyone who's a part of the team to contribute the most they can.*

*except for NPs since for some reason they keep wanting to push and push for expanded scope and also I hate them

Yes no MCATS…….and it’s a Caribbean school. I already have an equivalent degree…..a post baccalaureate doctoral degree. Yes its equivalent to an MD degree. I have proven myself 3 times over. Maybe you can answerer the question…..how does knowing the angle of velocity help you understand anatomy and physiology? Your going to be a great M.D. you already have the typical attitude. Are you doing it for the money? Or maybe so people can call you Dr. How bout passion for medicine and the old cliché of actually wanting to help people and improving their quality of life. Or it could be a new BMW……..Shouldn’t you be studying?

Members don't see this ad.

But...not you...?

Your simplifying MD=Dx PharmD=Rx experts is way too dumbed down and not really that accurate, just FYI. Although you're right that MDs can't do it all, I think most people for some reason think pharmacists are wannabe MDs when that's only the case for a very small minority. The rest is pre-med/pre-pharm hand-waving bull****.

Once people start their training and get pounded away in the hospital six days a week for a few years they forget these stupid turf battles and just want everyone who's a part of the team to contribute the most they can.*

*except for NPs since for some reason they keep wanting to push and push for expanded scope and also I hate them

Yes no MCATS…….and it’s a Caribbean school. I already have an equivalent degree…..a post baccalaureate doctoral degree. Yes its equivalent to an MD degree. I have proven myself 3 times over. Maybe you can answer the question…..how does knowing the angle of velocity help you understand anatomy and physiology? Your going to be a great M.D. you already have the typical attitude. Are you doing it for the money? Or maybe so people can call you Dr. How bout passion for medicine and the old cliché of actually wanting to help people and improving their quality of life. Or it could be a new BMW……..Shouldn’t you be studying?

Yes no MCATS…….and it’s a Caribbean school. I already have an equivalent degree…..a post baccalaureate doctoral degree. Yes its equivalent to an MD degree. I have proven myself 3 times over. Maybe you can answer the question…..how does knowing the angle of velocity help you understand anatomy and physiology? Your going to be a great M.D. you already have the typical attitude. Are you doing it for the money? Or maybe so people can call you Dr. How bout passion for medicine and the old cliché of actually wanting to help people and improving their quality of life. Or it could be a new BMW……..Shouldn’t you be studying?

I am calling shenanigans on this whole story...why were you some hot shot in the clinics now you are ringing people up....I think you are going to be sorely disappointed if all you are trying to do is "prove" yourself...I am all for PharmDs who want to go on but this sounds odd...and who are you to call out an MD student for wanting money...thats all most pharmds care about

Members don't see this ad :)
I am calling shenanigans on this whole story...why were you some hot shot in the clinics now you are ringing people up....I think you are going to be sorely disappointed if all you are trying to do is "prove" yourself...I am all for PharmDs who want to go on but this sounds odd...and who are you to call out an MD student for wanting money...thats all most pharmds care about

There are no “shenanigans” here. I practiced in clinics and have taken my carrier to to max. Preceptor for pharmacy students and residents guest speaker for major pharmaceutical companies P&T committee and just about everything else a Pharm.D can do. In my years in the clinic I developed wonderful relationships with other services and showing by example what we are capable of. They soon become dependent on you and realize that we truly are the drug experts. Being in a clinic setting and being limited by your title is frustrating. As a pharmD you too will realize that with your talents, knowledge, and drive you too can help patients more then what an institution will allow. Remember that not everyone can do what you’re doing. I remember a professor saying at the start of a class that you have made it to this point and that means you have an above average intelligence. I hit a wall and was no longer stimulated by the everyday grind and found my self becoming complacent. I’m not doing this to “prove” myself because I have already. Pharmacy is a wonderful profession and we do make a difference in the overall health care of patients. I have experienced it first hand. As for the money…..well got to pay the bills. I guess I’m one of the few that were never driven by money. Its satisfaction…. its making a difference in peoples lives. It’s a passion for what you do. It’s coming home at night and saying I made a difference today. Becoming complacent is what I believe human nature. What do you do in that situation????? You shake things up. I went back to retail that’s the money part…..sure they pay well but I call it blood money. In all my years I never stopped practicing behind the bench. It will be your safety net. I have always wanted to be a physician and I guess its timing. I have realized that retail is not the end all for me and its time to take my carrier to the next step. Sure there are major differences between an MD and Pharm.D but at some point they do feed off each other. I guess I was a little disappointed to see this kind of response from a colleague. Remember always push you self to achieve the most you can and if you ever have the pleasure of being a preceptor always push your students and residents to be better than you how else will our profession ever grow if all we do is produce Pharm.Ds that are only capable of doing what we can. I wish you luck in all your endeavors. :)

do you really think you are gonna be that much happier as a physician??? Have you read some of the stories on here?

This whole story still sound very unconvincing to me. If you were unchallenged in your clinic practice, why did you switch to retail? It's really not the most mentally stimulating field of pharmacy.

Second of all, if you are so great, why go to the Carribbean med school? If you were so involved in patient care and your pharmacy school background, with some extra studying you should be able to score decently on MCAT. From what I have seen, you do not need a perfect score on MCAT to get into med school (I mean you might not get into Harvard but there are some DO schools that are little less picky).

I also know some pharmacists with clinical responsibilities who got sick of their job eventually as well and did not find it mentally stimulating anymore but most of them stated it took them around 10 years to get to that point. Three years is a little bit on a lower end considering how much you need to learn in pharmacy practice to actually become very knowledgeable.

There are no "shenanigans" here. I practiced in clinics and have taken my carrier to to max . . . Remember always push you self to achieve the most you can and if you ever have the pleasure of being a preceptor always push your students and residents to be better than you how else will our profession ever grow if all we do is produce Pharm.Ds that are only capable of doing what we can. I wish you luck in all your endeavors. :)

What the hell is carrier? Do you mean career? I keep on thinking you are piloting an aircraft carrier. No real pharmacist would misspell career twice as you did in your last post. Also, why do you urge us to push the profession to grow, but you yourself jump to another career? Your actions aren't consistent with your rhetoric.

Last edited:
This thread is going nowhere...how bout we close it? any takers?

This thread is going nowhere...how bout we close it? any takers?

No way. I need to get to the bottom of this issue on why precisely some PharmD's go on to obtain an MD or DO. I will not sleep until I receive an acceptable answer. Someone out there must know the reason.

I too would like to take my "carrier to the next step."

Haha. I'm an MD- let me prescribe you an antibiotic for a viral infection, because you will go to another physician if I don't cater towards your expectations. Sounds like a rewarding career.:thumbup:

Haha. I'm an MD- let me prescribe you an antibiotic for a viral infection, because you will go to another physician if I don't cater towards your expectations. Sounds like a rewarding career.:thumbup:

If you think that is the essence of medicine, you don't know anything about the profession.

"Hi I'm a PharmD- no I don't feel comfortable filling that prescription. What's that? You're going to go next door to get it filled? Oh, okay."

Don't put down other health care professionals.

Why else would someone go from 6 yrs of BS to another 4...

...ego.

I do know one guy tho who is just supersmart...totally selfless kinda guy...he is probably doing it for his own personal knowledge and professional growth...if you got the money and like to learn then go for it...who the hell cares.

If you think that is the essence of medicine, you don't know anything about the profession.

"Hi I'm a PharmD- no I don't feel comfortable filling that prescription. What's that? You're going to go next door to get it filled? Oh, okay."

dude, Antimony was saying that's the problem with being a doctor. Patients want things that are not correct and you get bashed/left for another doctor for not doing what they want (ie: abx for a cold).

Members don't see this ad :)

dont make a statment you , yourself, will not follow.

And they can choose not to fill it too, your point? Comparing private practice business to pharmacy business is quite different. A pharmacists salary will not suffer for that move, the physicians will. A physician losing a patient has larger economic repercussions overall compared to a pharmacy losing a patient.

Last edited:
I heard that many of the early/first year courses are similar between medical/pharmacy schools. but does a PharmD have to retake them?

Why would they waive courses in their professional program? Just be glad you've seen it before and take it again.

Nearly three years later, my opinion remains the same as my original post in this thread...bunch of damned masochists...

And Priapism, is there a possibility that you can take your job prospects somewhere that has zero to do with academia? Perhaps you do well in such an environment, but I fail miserably in them. If you have to hang around those types for the rest of your career, I freakin' pity you something awful. You ever see that movie Barry Lyndon? Oddly, it all reminds me of that for some reason.

Nearly three years later, my opinion remains the same as my original post in this thread...bunch of damned masochists...

And Priapism, is there a possibility that you can take your job prospects somewhere that has zero to do with academia? Perhaps you do well in such an environment, but I fail miserably in them. If you have to hang around those types for the rest of your career, I freakin' pity you something awful. You ever see that movie Barry Lyndon? Oddly, it all reminds me of that for some reason.

I believe his job does have zero to do with academia...

What the hell is carrier? Do you mean career? I keep on thinking you are piloting an aircraft carrier. No real pharmacist would misspell career twice as you did in your last post. Also, why do you urge us to push the profession to grow, but you yourself jump to another career? Your actions aren't consistent with your rhetoric.

Pharmacy student? You have a long way to go. I have been practicing for the past 6 years and have worked in a pharmacy since I was 15. I have worked in every aspect of pharmacy you could imagine……not for me. Yes if it is what you desire and love I say push it to the max. That’s not contradicting. Its time for a new “carrier” you work 18 hours with 6 hours of sleep and let’s see what your spelling looks like. Hey guess what interview went awesome and I got accepted… someday you will fill my prescriptions. You pharmacy students should learn how to stick together and try to make a “JOB” a profession again.

It would be the ultimate dream for a pharmacist to not have to argue with a doctor on the prescription. You write, you fill. haha No more "I need to contact your doctors for additional refills"

Actually, can you even do that with a dual degree?

Pharmacy student? You have a long way to go. I have been practicing for the past 6 years and have worked in a pharmacy since I was 15. I have worked in every aspect of pharmacy you could imagine……not for me. Yes if it is what you desire and love I say push it to the max. That’s not contradicting. Its time for a new “carrier” you work 18 hours with 6 hours of sleep and let’s see what your spelling looks like. Hey guess what interview went awesome and I got accepted… someday you will fill my prescriptions. You pharmacy students should learn how to stick together and try to make a “JOB” a profession again.

yeah with your newly minted degree from an MD degree farm on the island....sweet...have fun paying 200,000 dollars to have some extra initials just so you can have a different "job" and if you think its not just a job read some of the posts in the resident and physician forum...good luck on the uslme with you island degree...you are bound for family practice

Let's assume for a moment that drgdealer is actually a pharmacist and is actually going to be attending a Carib MD school. He has clearly no idea what's in store for him to get licensed in the states. Ane he also has no idea that those schools only see their students as big fat paychecks and nothing more. Half of matriculated first years drop out by the end of second year. And he's doing all this while already holding a pharmacist license? What a ****ing buffoon.

Anyway he's just a troll so whatever. Anyone who thinks that an MD unwilling to Rx antibiotics for viral infections is going to go out of business is not aware of the situation. Maybe if you're practicing in Beverly Hills or something, but everywhere I've ever shadowed or worked MDs had no problem turning down patients' requests for a zpak for the sniffels. Pharmacists just get jaded when they saw 300 Rxs a day, that's all. I know that 'cause I've experienced it! It's 100% different when you are actually in the room talking to the patient.

But regardless, I think most MDs would welcome the opportunity to toss the webMD patients out the backdoor. There is no shortage of business, guys.

Hi,

This is a question to anyone in here who has a pharmD and is taking/took the MD route. I am a 4th year (6 year school) student at a pharmacy school. I like pharmacy, but I really want to do more. I hear that having a pharmD will not be beneficial if not harmful. Is that true? What were your experinces when applying? I really want to get into a "good" school. I have not taken the MCAT yet, but I am a little worried about them. I am taking a class for it this summer. But everything else on my CV is good I think (3.7 GPA, clinical research program, first author publication, international volunteer, leadership). Any advise would be good.

Thank you!

It would be the ultimate dream for a pharmacist to not have to argue with a doctor on the prescription. You write, you fill. haha No more "I need to contact your doctors for additional refills"

Actually, can you even do that with a dual degree?

Seems to me like this defeats one of the key purposes of the pharmacist; another set of eyes and another brain to ensure safety, appropriate use, etc. before it gets to the patient.

Also, I believe many states would regard this as a conflict of interest. Physician dispensing from the office is a sticky issue, and it is a bad idea in my opinion. I've had buddies who moonlighted as pharmacists during med school/residency/fellowship, but they keep the roles separate.

You legally have to keep them separate. Physicians may only dispense from their offices in certain restricted fashions, i.e. giving out free samples. If you're choosing to perform those functions you have to have your doctor hat on and not your pharmacist hat.

Seems to me like this defeats one of the key purposes of the pharmacist; another set of eyes and another brain to ensure safety, appropriate use, etc. before it gets to the patient.

Also, I believe many states would regard this as a conflict of interest. Physician dispensing from the office is a sticky issue, and it is a bad idea in my opinion. I've had buddies who moonlighted as pharmacists during med school/residency/fellowship, but they keep the roles separate.

That's actually not the case. MD/DO are allowed to dispense in most states. In fact there is a movement to get DOs to dispense the Rx at the visit to increase compliance.

This is an excerpt form the NC law:

Each physician who dispenses prescription drugs, for a fee or other charge, shall annually register with the Board on the form provided by the Board, and with the licensing board having jurisdiction over the physician. Such dispensing shall comply in all respects with the relevant laws and regulations that apply to pharmacists governing the distribution of drugs, including packaging, labeling, and record keeping. Authority and responsibility for disciplining physicians who fail to comply with the provisions of this subsection are vested in the licensing board having jurisdiction over the physician.

More info can be found here: http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByChapter/Chapter_90.html

Last edited:
That's actually not the case. MD/DO are allowed to dispense in most states. In fact there is a movement to get DOs to dispense the Rx at the visit to increase compliance.

This is an excerpt form the NC law:

Each physician who dispenses prescription drugs, for a fee or other charge, shall annually register with the Board on the form provided by the Board, and with the licensing board having jurisdiction over the physician. Such dispensing shall comply in all respects with the relevant laws and regulations that apply to pharmacists governing the distribution of drugs, including packaging, labeling, and record keeping. Authority and responsibility for disciplining physicians who fail to comply with the provisions of this subsection are vested in the licensing board having jurisdiction over the physician.

More info can be found here: http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByChapter/Chapter_90.html

Sparda needs to read this...he is interested in getting an MD/PharmD I believe.

Actually that may not be the case. Check this out. Its from Duke's web page

Advanced Standing Matriculants. Students who enter the M.D. degree program with previously earned doctorate degrees may petition the Third Year Committee and vice-dean to receive a maximum of 36 elective, basic science credits to be applied to the third year M.D. curriculum. Students granted 16 transfer credits are given allowance for one tuition payment.
Those granted 36 transfer credits are given allowance for two tuition payments. Advanced standing students who elect to register at Duke for the curricula for which they could have received transfer credit, forego the appropriate tuition waivers and are assessed tuition accordingly.

....[Applicants holding] degrees in biomedical or preclinical sciences may apply to be considered for a three-year, M.D. degree program.....

Sparda needs to read this...he is interested in getting an MD/PharmD I believe.

Sparda needs to survive pharmacy school first. hes got a long way to go

Actually that may not be the case. Check this out. Its from Duke's web page

Advanced Standing Matriculants. Students who enter the M.D. degree program with previously earned doctorate degrees may petition the Third Year Committee and vice-dean to receive a maximum of 36 elective, basic science credits to be applied to the third year M.D. curriculum. Students granted 16 transfer credits are given allowance for one tuition payment.
Those granted 36 transfer credits are given allowance for two tuition payments. Advanced standing students who elect to register at Duke for the curricula for which they could have received transfer credit, forego the appropriate tuition waivers and are assessed tuition accordingly.

....[Applicants holding] degrees in biomedical or preclinical sciences may apply to be considered for a three-year, M.D. degree program.....

That is still a lot of money. Tution is 36k for three years which ~108k (not including taxes) + pharmacy school + undergrad. He/She will probably be able to pay it off but it's a commitment. If that's his/her passion then so be it.

Also, consider the fact that getting accepted to a particular medical school seems random. We know what good stats look like, but no one is a shoe in for any medical school. Odds are even if your good enough, you may not get into the school of your dreams, or in this case the best school for your financial situation.

You can't pilot an aircraft carrier! It's a boat! LOL!

No you wouldn't have to get a BS or BA to go the med school. The PharmD obviosly is the higher ranking degree. I may be wrong, but there are a few DDS and MD programs that allow you to get in prior to receiving the bachelors assuming you have a good score on the MCAT and are very competitive academically. I think the typical deal is that they award you a bachelors after the first year of completing med/dental school (as I said I might be a little off on the details).

Anyway reasons for going from PharmD-->MD/DO is multifaceted and as sdn1977 mentioned many go that route as they may view the MD/DO as the degree they really want and may see the PharmD as a stepping stone to being a more competitive applicant to med school. This was even more common when you could obtain and practice with the BS in pharmacy. It was probably a great deal for those got who got the degree and really wanted the MD. Imagine it, you get the bs in pharmacy in 5yrs then go to med school and you have a well paying part time job to work your way through med school.

Others do it b/c they become frustrated w/ clinical pharmacy and the various limitations on your autonomy to function as a clinician (even in the VA setting where you have the most autonomy given prescribing privileges). It can become frustrating when you give reccomendations to the prescriber that you think are in the best interest of the pt and they aren't taken into action by the MD. At the end of the day the MD is still the "top dog".

Basically it becomes an issue of whether you can live w/ the boundaries of being a pharmacist or really think you need the autonomy of a MD/DO to fulfill yourself. It just depends on what makes you happy and how old you are when completing PharmD school and whether another 4yrs of school + at least 3 yrs of residency training is worth it to the individual.

For me I'm comfortable w/ my role clinically and am comfortable w/ the reality that all reccomendations won't be accepted (assuming no detriment to the pt). After a while the MD, NP, PAs start coming to you for advice so the making the recommendation of dosing a pt on a drug or picking a certain agent is no longer an issue as they may often defer to you the pharmacist. If you are really into pt interaction just find a place that has a developed ambulatory program (i.e. Kaiser, VA, many academic medical centers) and start doing anticoag and depending on staffing you can evolve this into med management and/or geriatric assessment clinics. Every profession has its pro's and con's and I'd advise one to rule out all potential paths in pharmacy prior to jumping to something else as everything isn't as "rosy" as they say it will be.

You just gotta find a job that makes you happy!!!

great post, even three years later:thumbup:

2.) I have to agree with meister.
I saw an NP last fall around the Thanksgiving holidays for flu-like symptoms + a swollen lymph node, and he was a total jerk. He didn't stop acting like a jerk until I said that I was in pharmacy school and that I had all A's after trying to justify that I wasn't experiencing depression.

Of course, because if you are getting all A's you couldn't possibly be depressed.

I had told him a few times that my retired physician friend believed that a single swollen lymph node was indicative of bacterial infection, and not strep throat or the flu, and he didn't listen until he felt the lump for himself.

One of those...the old physician friend. Right, because Strep throat isn't caused by a bacterial infection.

To cut to the chase, he wrote for Levaquin 750 x 7 days, and I kid you not, my symptoms dramatically improved halfway into the 2nd dose.

Amazing! Just like the flu would!

The outcome of my visit was fine, i.e. the infection was cleared, but he was the worst practitioner I have ever seen, and to this day, the clinic has never given me my blood cultures (to top it all off).

Clinics usually don't give results of blood cultures unless they are positive...and yours weren't, because you had the flu.

ETA: I believe that I had a kidney infection, because I had all of the symptoms that are in bold from the Mayo Clinic's website (plus a slight UTI after he finally did a urinalysis).

Kidney infection may cause one or more of these signs and symptoms:

• Frequent urination
  • Strong, persistent urge to urinate
  • Burning sensation or pain when urinating
  • Abdominal pain or pressure
  • Cloudy urine with a strong odor
  • Pus or blood in your urine (hematuria)
  • Inability to urinate (urine retention)
  • Need to urinate during the night (nocturia)
  • Back, side (flank) or groin pain
  • Fever
Severe kidney infection also may involve:

• High fever - body temperature of 101 F (38.3 C) or greater
  • Shaking chills
  • Night sweats
  • Extreme fatigue
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Confusion
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/kidney-infection/DS00593/DSECTION=symptoms

Web MD doctor!! You bolded more symptoms of the flu!!

I don't know why this post bothered me so much, maybe it's because I work in the ER and I see this countless times. Or maybe it's the high and mighty attitude you put off here.

People are jerks. I don't doubt that he was. I've met awesome doctors, jackass doctors, jackass pharmacists, lovely pharmacists, nurses, etc. To generalize a profession based on an encounter with particular person is a bit off-putting.

I hope you have grown up a bit.

Hi just sitting here studying for my tests in first year of medical school and noticed the thread.

For me personally I wanted to go medical school because I wanted to do more. I would have to say that medical school is difficult, but you can still have a life outside school.

The most important is that you enjoy what you do. I see that many people are afraid of going because of money issue or age issue. I say do not worry about any of that because it will work itself out if you enjoy your time in pharmacy school or medical school.:idea:

The bill passed in the legislature but would still need to be signed into law by the governor. maybe review your high school government and law notes. It may be in there. also this post was posted in july, its now november. This is a new bill and info has since changed. It WILL BE law in January.

your 2nd comment also is wrong. Pharmacists do not have contractual agreements with physicians, this is not legal in NYS. There is no changing of script based on set parameters. If there is a discrepancy with a particular Rx, such as the MD wrote the wrong drug, dose whatever, then we call and we can change only under the direction of the doctor. This only applies to non-controls. Controlled substance gets stickier

I hate ressurecting old arguements but I just notice this nasty reply. Here is my rebuttal below.

1) Quiksilver, I am well aware of the fact that a bill pass needs to be signed into law by the govenor. The fact that you need to bring it up and belittle me implies things that I don't even want to discuss here. This bill was a historic step for NY which is one of the most conservative in terms of regulations. There is simply no reason why it wouldn't get passed and I believe it has now pass too.

2) As for your second, your right to an extent that NY doesn't have a contractal agreement clause in there somewhere. I was thinking of the VA system in NY (federal) which does allow pharmacist to manage dosing medications to a degree. So I apologize for my information that I had given out about this second part.

Why else would someone go from 6 yrs of BS to another 4...

...ego.

I do know one guy tho who is just supersmart...totally selfless kinda guy...he is probably doing it for his own personal knowledge and professional growth...if you got the money and like to learn then go for it...who the hell cares.

The PharmD for me was a chance to sort out what exactly I wanted out of my life and have a solid foundation if I do decide to choose medicine. (Highly Likely at this point) There are also personal considerations that I had to factor in before deciding on this roundabout path.

Overall, I believe that this degree will make me a better physcian. In the future (I know a bunch of guys think this is crazy), I wouldn't mind teaching at a medical school. I've thought about teaching at a pharmacy school but just thinking about the boring slides that I would have to give to the class just makes... naseous. I like physiology alot more than talking about which drug binds to what receptor. But who knows... I'm still young and tommorrow may bring what we may have never dreamed today. (lol... this is so cliche - although I don't remember hearing this before)

so how is it going for u? where have u reached? graduated pharm d 4 years ago, and always wanted to do med school, but thought i'd try pharma and see if i like it, but dont! I plan to start medical when im 31, and want to touch base with pharmas who are now doing medicine...any feedback?

No you wouldn't have to get a BS or BA to go the med school. The PharmD obviosly is the higher ranking degree. I may be wrong, but there are a few DDS and MD programs that allow you to get in prior to receiving the bachelors assuming you have a good score on the MCAT and are very competitive academically. I think the typical deal is that they award you a bachelors after the first year of completing med/dental school (as I said I might be a little off on the details).

Anyway reasons for going from PharmD-->MD/DO is multifaceted and as sdn1977 mentioned many go that route as they may view the MD/DO as the degree they really want and may see the PharmD as a stepping stone to being a more competitive applicant to med school. This was even more common when you could obtain and practice with the BS in pharmacy. It was probably a great deal for those got who got the degree and really wanted the MD. Imagine it, you get the bs in pharmacy in 5yrs then go to med school and you have a well paying part time job to work your way through med school.

Others do it b/c they become frustrated w/ clinical pharmacy and the various limitations on your autonomy to function as a clinician (even in the VA setting where you have the most autonomy given prescribing privileges). It can become frustrating when you give reccomendations to the prescriber that you think are in the best interest of the pt and they aren't taken into action by the MD. At the end of the day the MD is still the "top dog".

Basically it becomes an issue of whether you can live w/ the boundaries of being a pharmacist or really think you need the autonomy of a MD/DO to fulfill yourself. It just depends on what makes you happy and how old you are when completing PharmD school and whether another 4yrs of school + at least 3 yrs of residency training is worth it to the individual.

For me I'm comfortable w/ my role clinically and am comfortable w/ the reality that all reccomendations won't be accepted (assuming no detriment to the pt). After a while the MD, NP, PAs start coming to you for advice so the making the recommendation of dosing a pt on a drug or picking a certain agent is no longer an issue as they may often defer to you the pharmacist. If you are really into pt interaction just find a place that has a developed ambulatory program (i.e. Kaiser, VA, many academic medical centers) and start doing anticoag and depending on staffing you can evolve this into med management and/or geriatric assessment clinics. Every profession has its pro's and con's and I'd advise one to rule out all potential paths in pharmacy prior to jumping to something else as everything isn't as "rosy" as they say it will be.

You just gotta find a job that makes you happy!!!

As far as I know, most medical schools only require like 90 hours of course work. They don't necessarily require a degree if you check out the requirements for most schools. So you could get in without a degree altogether although the likelihood is probably slim to none

As far as I know, most medical schools only require like 90 hours of course work. They don't necessarily require a degree if you check out the requirements for most schools. So you could get in without a degree altogether although the likelihood is probably slim to none

I knew someone in undergrad in my chem program that got into med school after 3 years of undergrad. She didnt have a bachelors but the rest of her application was perfect

Is there any health care setting where you can actually apply both the MD and the PharmD? What kind of field can you go into that will allow you to apply both fields of knowledge?