Nov 22, 2013
There are some from:

Kaplan math reviews (ISBN#: 0743241118)
Princeton Review MATH and Physics (ISBN #: 0375427953)

There's no math on the MCAT...from what I understand...what's the point of these reviews? Is it a phishing scam or something? I know there are no calculators on the MCAT. Do these books like go over methods for simplifying quick arithmetic and rounding in chem and physics?

Syncrohnize

PGY-1
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A phishing scam...Umm, no?

All it is is what exactly you already said:
"Simplifying quick arithmetic and rounding in chem and physics"

While some companies have chapters dedicated to these shortcuts (which come natural to a lot of us) other companies (like Berkeley) just integrate the math/rounding stuff in each chapter.
Also, you would do well knowing a bit of trig for some physics.

OP
J
Nov 22, 2013
A phishing scam...Umm, no?

All it is is what exactly you already said:
"Simplifying quick arithmetic and rounding in chem and physics"

While some companies have chapters dedicated to these shortcuts (which come natural to a lot of us) other companies (like Berkeley) just integrate the math/rounding stuff in each chapter.
Also, you would do well knowing a bit of trig for some physics.

Well, it's on a website, so idk if they wanted my cc number to screw with me and no such book exist. I was just curious. I also found alternatives on a "legit" site, so I guess that justifies the carrier's ethos.

I just find it fascinating that they would have whole books dedicated to this. Even if you're really strong in math, and worked as a tutor for math for elementary and middle schoolers for a long time (at Kumon), so you have a knack for arithmetic and the ins and outs of teaching math even to a caveman, would you still need these books?

Also, I'm very comfortable with trig. I can prove a lot of identities, have the unit circle memorized on and can recall values for any of the 6 trigonometric functions on demand at any time, so working with angles and vectors in physics is no big deal for me.

Last edited:

Syncrohnize

PGY-1
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I just find it fascinating that they would have whole books dedicated to this. Even if you're really strong in math, and worked as a tutor for math for elementary and middle schoolers for a long time (at Kumon), so you have a knack for arithmetic and the ins and outs of teaching math even to a caveman, would you still need these books?
The Princeton one is actually the Physics book for Princeton. I can't speak for the Kaplan book having never used it but it sounds like a purely math tips and tricks book. If it is, I wouldn't buy it. Most of the math tricks are very intuitive in my opinion.

Ismet

PGY-almost done!
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The ISBN number you gave for the Kaplan book is a book of practice tests. Nothing to do with math.

May 10, 2013
PA, USA
Status
Pre-Medical
MCAT math includes multiplying and dividing exponents, basic algebra, manipulating equations, etc. All of those things will help you do well in the physical sciences section.

OP
J
Nov 22, 2013
MCAT math includes multiplying and dividing exponents, basic algebra, manipulating equations, etc. All of those things will help you do well in the physical sciences section.
So if I have a strong background in math, proofs, tutoring, etc. is it a waste of time and money to get them?

I know all about log rules, algebraic manipulation, exponent rules, trig identities, etc.

May 10, 2013
PA, USA
Status
Pre-Medical
So if I have a strong background in math, proofs, tutoring, etc. is it a waste of time and money to get them?

I know all about log rules, algebraic manipulation, exponent rules, trig identities, etc.
It might not be a bad idea to brush up if money is no concern, otherwise don't bother. If you can do the aforementioned accurately and quickly, you'll be fine.