Why do Step 1 and 2 not have a free response section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1139416

This kinda just occurred to me out of the blue. If the College Board can arrange for tens of thousands of students to get their Free Response AP Tests (for each single subject) scored within 2-3 months, why can't NBME arrange the same? Even the MCAT used to have a writing section. If the entire competitiveness of a residency application boils down to a single exam, why not at least make it more than just picking the correct bubble?

Ok, I am ready to get yelled at...

Members don't see this ad.

This is just a guess, but I imagine that the characteristics that a writing section would reveal is something that has hopefully already been addressed in admission to medical school. I imagine that's what it was for on the MCAT and they probably just did away with that because the personal statement and interview served that purpose. Surely at your M2 year you have the skills in writing that's required of a physician. Just a guess, though.

Reactions: 1 user
This is just a guess, but I imagine that the characteristics that a writing section would reveal is something that has hopefully already been addressed in admission to medical school. I imagine that's what it was for on the MCAT and they probably just did away with that because the personal statement and interview served that purpose. Surely at your M2 year you have the skills in writing that's required of a physician. Just a guess, though.

Not so much writing skills, but just in general being able to answer questions in a more open format rather than a closed one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Too hard to grade.

Reactions: 6 users
Those sections would go on for pages trying to find a way to be at least tangentially right for partial credit.

Reactions: 1 user
Even the MCAT used to have a writing section.
Emphasis on "used to", and it was removed because it was useless. The grade literally had no impact on med school admissions unless you totally bombed it.

It's just a bunch of extra work without any clear benefit.

Reactions: 7 users
don't give them any ideas lol

Reactions: 3 users