Why do you like NCC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blackdogue

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
At the risk of becoming annoying and repetitive (feel free to delete this thread if you feel it has been answered elsewhere), I'd like to ask anyone who is practicing or came across neurocritical care, what exactly is it that you like so much about the field? By now I've read most NCC threads, and even though I learned a lot about the cons of the field, I still don't understand what exactly keeps you guys going. What kind of cases/diagnoses/treatments/outcomes/human interactions give you satisfaction and make you happy to be a neurointensivist? What makes this field special to you?

Members don't see this ad.

At the risk of becoming annoying and repetitive (feel free to delete this thread if you feel it has been answered elsewhere), I'd like to ask anyone who is practicing or came across neurocritical care, what exactly is it that you like so much about the field? By now I've read most NCC threads, and even though I learned a lot about the cons of the field, I still don't understand what exactly keeps you guys going. What kind of cases/diagnoses/treatments/outcomes/human interactions give you satisfaction and make you happy to be a neurointensivist? What makes this field special to you?
Nobody? Is it a question you answered too many times?

Nobody? Is it a question you answered too many times?

I'm about to start fellowship in July. I chose NCC because I rather enjoy internal medicine, doing procedures, and taking care of sick patients with a neurological/neurosurgical twist. I thrive in the high acuity environment, and despise bread and butter outpatient neurology. Not that outpatient neurology isn't interesting, it is just not my cup of tea.

The other pros of this field for me include the fact that it is a relatively new field with lots of ongoing research in various disease processes I am interested in, the compensation is good, and demand is high (although big cities are getting saturated). When you are ON, it means you are ON (usually 24/7 for 1 week as an attending, my fellowship is shift work), and when you are OFF, you can truly be OFF - no answering phone calls for chronic or outpatient related things.

The cases that NCC folks see: acute ischemic stroke, hemorrhagic stroke, SAH, status epilepticus, TBI, SCI, neuromuscular and demyelinating emergencies, post-op neurosurgical patients, any SICU or MICU spillover, etc. Outcomes are what they are for any sick neurological population. Patient/family interaction, in my opinion, is very satisfying as you get to assume the role of neurologist, intensivist, and also palliative care - the conversations are usually intense and meaningful, and patients with good outcomes are extremely grateful. Seeing them come back to unit for a visit after their severe neurological event is always uplifting.

Reactions: 2 users