Why Do you want to be a clinical psychologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychApplicant

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would you answer this question?

Members don't see this ad.

This is probably the most commonly asked question asked of applicants on interviews to programs and later on internship interviews. I believe each of us must come up with a unique answer to this question.

For me, it was a combination of personal and academic interests, some going back to childhood. I did not decide on this path till my late 30s, so I had a lot of time to figure out the reasons why. I just love studying people, and the reasons they think, feel and behave as they do.

This is probably the most commonly asked question asked of applicants on interviews to programs and later on internship interviews. I believe each of us must come up with a unique answer to this question.

For me, it was a combination of personal and academic interests, some going back to childhood. I did not decide on this path till my late 30s, so I had a lot of time to figure out the reasons why. I just love studying people, and the reasons they think, feel and behave as they do.

Lol People always say that this is the most commonly asked question. I went on 7 interviews and never was asked this question. I think the most common question is not why do you want to be a clinical psychologist, but more so, why do you want to be in this program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I posted this in another thread awhile back, but the short version is it simply offers more variety than just about any other degree out there, and I'm interested in many things.

History, math, genetics, sociology, neuroscience, medicine, biology, physics, computer science, engineering, philosophy, etc. If it were realistic to spend my entire life in school collecting degrees, I would do so. Its not, so I picked the next best thing...the degree that would get me a job where I could study all of those things on my own, and get paid to do it:) One can study any of those things listed as a psychologist and no one would even think to ask questions. I'm hard pressed to think of another field where that is the case.

Lol People always say that this is the most commonly asked question. I went on 7 interviews and never was asked this question. I think the most common question is not why do you want to be a clinical psychologist, but more so, why do you want to be in this program.

ok, so maybe this is the second most asked question! :laugh: In any event, would you agree that applicants need to be clear in their minds about an answer to this? It may not be asked directly, but we all have a story to tell. Knowing how you'd answer this ahead of time is, I believe, very important.

My early interests in undergrad were in medicine and philosophy. I came to realize that I would be bored as hell spending my life doing either. Clinical psychology, for me, synthesizes my wide-ranging interests in a very meaningful and effective way.

As a neuropsychologist that I work for said, "If you're a dentist, you can be pretty sure that you're going to be in people's mouths all day." Nothing against my dentist friends, but I like the range of clinical work in the field. I love doing assessments, I love doing therapy, and I also love teaching and like to be involved in research. Clinical psych encompasses all of the above.

My early interests in undergrad were in medicine and philosophy. I came to realize that I would be bored as hell spending my life doing either. Clinical psychology, for me, synthesizes my wide-ranging interests in a very meaningful and effective way.

As a neuropsychologist that I work for said, "If you're a dentist, you can be pretty sure that you're going to be in people's mouths all day." Nothing against my dentist friends, but I like the range of clinical work in the field. I love doing assessments, I love doing therapy, and I also love teaching and like to be involved in research. Clinical psych encompasses all of the above.

I couldn't agree more.. I believe this is a very open field.. you can work with different people, or in different teams or settings... It is very changing and exciting!

ok, so maybe this is the second most asked question! :laugh: In any event, would you agree that applicants need to be clear in their minds about an answer to this? It may not be asked directly, but we all have a story to tell. Knowing how you'd answer this ahead of time is, I believe, very important.

I totally agree with you! I do, however, think that this truly should be something that a person has thought about before even embarking upon the graduate process. I also believe in authenticity and part of your personal statement should have hinted as to why you want to be a psychologist, so coming up with an answer shouldn't be too hard. I would also say don't overthink it (as most of us future psychologists tend to do anyway :laugh:) and don't sound rehearsed if someone should ask this question of you.

Why do I want to be a clinical psychologist?
  • I figure that if I'm a psychologist, I'll have lots of psychologist friends who will maybe treat me for free. Because I need the treatment. Soon.
  • I lost a bet.
  • Wait - this is for clinical psychology? Oh, yeah, I guess that's what I want.
  • I love the idea of people paying to hear me talk.
  • I have one research focus. I focus on my research topic. I live it. I breathe it. I will see patients if I must, but my life is research. What was the question again?
  • Didn't you read my application? Slacker.
  • When I was on "The Real World," my fans voted me most likely to be a psychologist. You're not against democracy, are you?

Why do I want to be a clinical psychologist?
  • I figure that if I'm a psychologist, I'll have lots of psychologist friends who will maybe treat me for free. Because I need the treatment. Soon.
  • I lost a bet.
  • Wait - this is for clinical psychology? Oh, yeah, I guess that's what I want.
  • I love the idea of people paying to hear me talk.
  • I have one research focus. I focus on my research topic. I live it. I breathe it. I will see patients if I must, but my life is research. What was the question again?
  • Didn't you read my application? Slacker.
  • When I was on "The Real World," my fans voted me most likely to be a psychologist. You're not against democracy, are you?

lol! And another --

* I find myself absolutely fascinating, and being a psychologist will enable me to research my favorite topic: me!:D

I want to be a clinical psychologist because I love differential diagnosis:

* The Neurotic: I figure that if I'm a psychologist, I'll have lots of psychologist friends who will maybe treat me for free. Because I need the treatment. Soon.
* The Addict: I lost a bet.
* The ADHDer: Wait - this is for clinical psychology? Oh, yeah, I guess that's what I want.
* The Narcissist: I love the idea of people paying to hear me talk.
* The Antisocial: Didn't you read my application? Slacker.
* The Histrionic: When I was on "The Real World," my fans voted me most likely to be a psychologist. You're not against democracy, are you?
* The Professor: I have one research focus. I focus on my research topic. I live it. I breathe it. I will see patients if I must, but my life is research. What was the question again?

Last edited:
Seems like the easiest path to getting Dr. Phil's job. LOL!

Mark

:D

I did it because I love having people constantly wonder if I'm "psychoanalyzing" them.

Oh and for the mind-reading capabilities of course. I mean, who wouldn't want that?

My initial interest was in research, and then I strayed into more I/O related consulting, and then back into the field with a more balanced focus. My reason for coming back was to eventually do I/O related consulting and fund my own treatment center. It isn't that I don't enjoy trad. assessment and therapy, but there is far more money to be made on the business side of things. I'd like to fund some long-term research ideas, as well as teach and mentor....but it all hinges on building enough capital that I don't need to worry about money.

Theripistforchange...how long did you go to school? Do you have your PHD? Your like me, i'm in business now (successfully) and just changed careers ...doing my undergrad and looking forward to this new and exciting career!

Theripistforchange...how long did you go to school? Do you have your PHD? Your like me, i'm in business now (successfully) and just changed careers ...doing my undergrad and looking forward to this new and exciting career!

Seems like there are a few of us who left the corporate gig to be psychologists. I worked for 7 years, 5 of those in IT. My BA is in psychology, and this was the plan all along. But I got detoured longer than I thought I would. I don't regret any of it though. My "real world" experience certainly prepared me better for grad school and the academic medicine world :D I left because I couldn't stand the environment. I don't think I have the right personality to be a Dilbert-type. I certainly have problems having a 9-5 job with some goofy boss where my prime directive is to better the bottom line of some company I couldn't care less about. Hence the jump back where I feel I really belong. And I haven't been happier.

Last edited:

I went for an RA position instead of the corporate world, but I did a business degree as well.

You may be pleasantly surprised how much business experience can help in grad school. I wouldn't say its a daily occurrence for me to use my business training (and unfortunately have completely forgotten most of my finance training), but there have been a number of situations its helpful...mostly in terms of organization, supervising others, and record-keeping.

because my mom who has her own private practice has the coolest most interesting job in the world