Why do you want to be a dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iambatman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anybody be serious for once?

Members don't see this ad.

iambatman said:
Can anybody be serious for once?

this is something u need to find out for urself.

For me, there were many many factors in my life that made me decide i wanted to be a dentist. Its not like i pulled the decision out of my a$$ in only one day.

if u can answer the question why u want to be dentist and not a lawyer, engineer, manager etc etc, then u should find ur answer. Gl to u.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm afraid you're really never going to get a really good answer. It's like asking someone why they like onions. I hate onions and can't understand why anyone would want to eat them. Can you explain to me why you like onions other than to say "I like them; they taste good." ?

There are a lot of factors that come into play and it's going to be different for everybody. But mostly its just an unexplainable matter of personal preference. If you're not sure, keep looking and shadowing. Is there something else you have in mind besides dentistry?

Well after I graduated from college I worked as a financial analyst. After a while I had enough and decided that I needed to find a more fulfilling career and one with a more social aspect.

Of course there are many professions like that so why dentistry and not something else like medicine? I looked at all the qualities from my personal and academic background and in dentistry I found a profession where I could use all of my abilities and could see myself being exceptional in the profession.

With my international backgound and study of anthropology I felt I could excel in the humanistic or socail aspect to dentistry (doing volunteer work abroad etc) And with my management science degree and finance background I knew I could handle the business side to dentistry.

And finally dentistry offered me the ability to gain new talents. I am not too much of an artistic person but I really want to be and in dentistry I would have this option. I just love the blend of talents and the opportunity to help people that dentistry offers.

Ok I'll stop now, I could go on for ages about why I love dentistry!

12YearOldKid said:
I'm afraid you're really never going to get a really good answer. It's like asking someone why they like onions. I hate onions and can't understand why anyone would want to eat them. Can you explain to me why you like onions other than to say "I like them; they taste good." ?

There are a lot of factors that come into play and it's going to be different for everybody. But mostly its just an unexplainable matter of personal preference. If you're not sure, keep looking and shadowing. Is there something else you have in mind besides dentistry?

Yeah it's like trying to discribe the color blue to a blind man or explain the taste of salt. :confused:

What are you talking about? It shouldn't be that hard to explain why you want to be a dentist.

rajmahal2004 said:
Well after I graduated from college I worked as a financial analyst. After a while I had enough and decided that I needed to find a more fulfilling career and one with a more social aspect.

Of course there are many professions like that so why dentistry and not something else like medicine? I looked at all the qualities from my personal and academic background and in dentistry I found a profession where I could use all of my abilities and could see myself being exceptional in the profession.

With my international backgound and study of anthropology I felt I could excel in the humanistic or socail aspect to dentistry (doing volunteer work abroad etc) And with my management science degree and finance background I knew I could handle the business side to dentistry.

And finally dentistry offered me the ability to gain new talents. I am not too much of an artistic person but I really want to be and in dentistry I would have this option. I just love the blend of talents and the opportunity to help people that dentistry offers.

Ok I'll stop now, I could go on for ages about why I love dentistry!

How long did you work as a Financial analyst? What were your hours like? What did you hate more the corporate enviroment (office politics) or the actual work itself? or both? I almost took that route so I am curious to find out why you switched careers. thanks in advance

I'm a mortgage broker here in FL. I really hate the idea of doing loans for the rest of my life. I have the license just for fun ;) I was a management major and still love it, but I feel incomplete with just that.

I like learning in depth what a like. I'm sure I'll be ask why not dental hygenist? You are old! :mad: :eek:

I like the medical field and I'm a doctor in the closet. I have found in dentistry my true passion for constrction, remodeling and a great opportunity to let out this "construction must be perfect" thing I have. I have a great eye for detail and I have to touch people and like to get close to them--funny huh? :laugh: Really I do!

My dream would be to be surgeon, but it's too late for me becuase I have 2 little children who I want to be with. Dentistry has so much to offer me in so many ways that I could write a book about it. I have really found my thing. I like to work with a small area like the mouth, and know everything about it. You can really touch someone's life by giving them back their smile.

I'm looking forward to many yrs of dental work and never retire and keep working as long as I have health.

See? Like the other post says, everyone has their own reason/reasons. What's yours? :D

Reactions: 1 user
Gavin, what's SRP? :oops:

Enjoy AZ for me :)

Dental Mom said:
Gavin, what's SRP? :oops:

Enjoy AZ for me :)

if you don't know SRP, then you probably haven't really volunteered at a dental office before...or not actively volunteered.

but just to satisfy your curiosity. srp = scaling and root planning (aka deep cleaning).

hehe i don't mean to sound rude. i was just really surprised!

I volunteered as a dental assistant for 2 days a week for about 4 months and have never heard of "SRP". Has it occurred to you that maybe some of us (including the dentist with whom I worked) aren't into the whole using acronyms for everything?

Just a thought...

My dad is a dentist and I never thought, in a million years, that is what I wanted to be one too.

Growing up I took art classes starting in 2 or 3 grade though college (Mostly sculpture)

I took chemistry for a graduation requirement and LOVED it. It was then I realized the blending of art AND science that dentistry encompasses. through growing up in a “dental” household and my own experiences with art and science classes.

For a while I thought VERY seriously about doing a PhD in molecular bio, I LOVE my research, it is demanding, requires tons of knowledge and it is challenging.

After nearly two years of work, I was working in the lab on night and after staring into a decon microscope for about 4 hours, I realized SOMETHING is missing!!! People!

I love interacting with people; I will talk with anyone any time. Last week I went to the grocery store with my roommate and I was talking to the cashier about classes and partying while she rung us out. As we were walking out my roommate asked "How long have you known her?" I said, I have never seen her before today.

It was a huge mix of all of these things that make dentistry appealing to me.
-C