Why do you want to go to "blank" SOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorleospaceman

Medical Student
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
While filling out secondaries with this question, I've been wondering whether or not there is a line between showing that you've researched a school and have carefully looked at their curriculum and in a way just sucking up to the adcom?

I've heard it's important to hit the key points, and I back up why I honestly like certain things by personal example and don't just list stuff, but is it possible to come off as a "suck up"? Is there a balance?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
While filling out secondaries with this question, I've been wondering whether or not there is a line between showing that you've researched a school and have carefully looked at their curriculum and in a way just sucking up to the adcom?

I've heard it's important to hit the key points, and I back up why I honestly like certain things by personal example and don't just list stuff, but is it possible to come off as a "suck up"? Is there a balance?

I don't think you have to worry about sounding like you're sucking up to them, just worry about not coming off as false. As long as your interest sounds honest and personal you'll be fine.

As long as you don't go over the top, eg. absolutely fell head over heels in LOVE with your program etc etc, gushing excessively, I think you'll be good to go. Schools like it when you can apply their specific characteristics to your own interests and experiences :)