Why DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontradstudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that we have to answer this question many times for the applications, but I'd like to bring it up again. I am interested in osteopathic medicine because :
* It focuses on primary care.
* Manipulaion techniques.
* The principles of inter-relationship between organ systems.
Also, as a non traditional student, I found that DO schools are the better fits for me.

How's about you guys? Do you care to share why you choose DO?

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds good but too theoretical. Make sure you incorporate what you said with your view of medicine and relate them to your experiences.
Moon-WesternU 2004

In my case, only DO schools will appreciate a 30 year old man's effort to be a doctor. Besides, I am a fan of holistic medicine. The mind, body, and spirit unity concept is not new to me.
That is why I can accept the philosphy of osteopathic medicine with no doubt.

------------------
NSU 2002
(-@o@-)

I feel that this is a topic that will always be in debate. I also feel that the osteopathic idea suits me better as well. I am working at an osteopathic hosptal right now and love it. It is interesting for me to realize that although I hsve always wanted to be a doctor I just found out about the osteopathic ideas 3 years ago. Interstingy enough, yestersday I was sitting at the desk talking with a doctor and another name came up. The clerk turned and said isn't she an M.D. we turned and said yes, but why should it matter. I have found that the few M.D.'s that practice here have adopted this thought for the most part anyway. Just something I thought you would be interested in.
I feel that working with, talking with and shadowing D.O's is an invaluable experience. Just remeber that your experience wil hinge on the doc you pick, so try to get tot know them alittle first if you can. Good luck to all.

brandon