Why DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maphilips

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best thing to say when the interviewer asks why I applied to MD and DO programs? Obviously they need to know DO is not just a backup, so what do I say if this is actually the case? Any good books about osteo medical practice and its pros/cons? Thanks for your input.

YMP :)

Members don't see this ad.

State MD schools can be much lower in cost than private DO schools. That seems like a good reason to me to apply to both. For DO reading material, try authors like Norman Gevitz or R. Michael Gallagher. Best wishes!

DO should never be a backup. Most interviewers can sense if it is. If you are very capable of lying and are able to get in, even if you don't want to be in a DO school, you won't be happy in the curriculum. I have met those students and they tend to be very unhappy. Students at a DO school spend a lot of time in OMM related classes, spend more time in class than MD counterparts as a result, and (unless you are able to secure a ACGME residency) spend one extra year in total schooling than many MD programs. Do it because you love it, not because it is a backup. If you really want to be an MD, there is a school somewhere that will let you in.

Members don't see this ad :)
they dont spend an extra year in training, their "internship" is counted towards their first year in residency.

realruby,
that's incorrect. the internship is NOT applied to the first year of residency. however, there are some schools who offer "med-track" internships as opposed to traditional "rotating" internships. this option allows those individuals who are certain of their residency choice to avoid a rotating intership and focus exclusively in their specialty. this internship may then be applied to the total residency period. also, this option is usually only found in PC, peds, IM, and EM, though these may differ b/t schools that have this option. later.

Scott

Wrong, INTERNSHIP IS THE FIRST YEAR OF RESIDENCY. Ortho for MD, 5 yrs residency vs. Ortho for DO, 1 year internship 4 yrs Residency. Same time. For more info go to the residency opportunities web site for DO's.

So for family practice, the residency is usually 3 years. Does that mean 1 yr internship + 2 years of residency? So people normally do the internship & residency at the same program?

I think that it's crappy that schools only expect you to apply to osteopathic programs. I say if you want to be a doc, you should do it any way that will get you to your goal.

thanks DO/MBA. i must've misunderstood it when i heard it explained. i thought it was only for the specialty track options that i mentioned. thanks for clearing that up!

Scott

DO/MBA,

what is the DO residency website you were referring to? thanks.

Thanks Tibore, You sound like a really smart person. Maybe we should get together sometime. HaHa Jim

:cool:

Yes algae, you are right. The specialty fast tracks keep you from having to match twice. (Once for internship and once for residency) The special emphasis internships count as your internship, but you still have to match twice. All of that is on the site displayed above.
Tibore, most DO schools would like you to go into a DO residency, but they don't have enough. Also, some are not of high quality (at least that is the word on the street). However, they do not detour you away from MD programs (heck if they have students that don't match that looks bad for the school). There are a couple of advantages for a DO doing a DO residency, however it may not be enough to keep people in there programs.
Good Luck future collegues