Why doctor and not nurse?

Started by suzie4399
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Freddy I know this is a very old post, but I have a question for you. Does this advice also apply if you plan on addressing in your PS that you in fact shadowed/talked with people in other professions, namely nursing? For instance the reasons you listed as THE ONLY answer that's completely valid, would you talk about it the same way in your PS? Thank you and I hope to hear from you soon as I'm finalizing my personal statement.

Yes. Still applies.
 
Yes. Still applies.

Thanks for responding after so many years! Do you think you should mention why/how nursing and for instance pharmacy is different than a physician in your PS, or should you just mention what about medicine based on these experiences you enjoyed? I had someone look over my PS and they suggested to remove the parts where I talk about the differences in pharmacists vs nursing when comparing them to physicians. Should I save these differences and my perceptions of them for my interview?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Best prepared in a mature verbal statement rather than a written personal statement. Make the personal statement personal... not generic about differences with other fields.

I see what you mean, but at the same time, since shadowing many other professions was a huge factor for me in being able to decide on medicine, I ended up comparing what pharmacists and nurses do somewhat quickly. Can I PM you just that 1 paragraph to get some feedback on it if you don't mind? I'd like to submit this ASAP and would really appreciate your help. Thank you