Why does AAMC advocate more residency slots when it hurts physicians?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As far as I am concerned, they can saturate the primary care market all they want. As long as they don't increase training spots in my specialty then I am fine. Luckily my field is very cognizant and they have not increased slots in the last 4 years or so.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As far as I am concerned, they can saturate the primary care market all they want. As long as they don't increase training spots in my specialty then I am fine. Luckily my field is very cognizant and they have not increased slots in the last 4 years or so.
I don't expect to see that in my career (I've got at least 23 years left).

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
As they should be, I don't see ents teaching fm docs ear tubes, urologists teaching others how to do vasectomies, or opthos teaching cataract removals

Im an ENT and if a FM doc wanted to learn how to do ear tubes or even tonsils or whatever and credentialing aside, I would have no problem teaching them. We taught our NPs to put in ear tubes in residency. Tubes and tonsils dont pay squat (which is why peds ENTs are poorly paid for the most part). I would love to have them off my plate. The thing is nobody wants to do ear tubes/tonsils and then take responsibility - I'm not going to clean up your tonsil bleed in the middle of the night. Family doc isnt going to want to do that either. Does the family doc want to deal with perforations and granulation tissue and trying to remove ear tubes? Probably not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im an ENT and if a FM doc wanted to learn how to do ear tubes or even tonsils or whatever and credentialing aside, I would have no problem teaching them. We taught our NPs to put in ear tubes in residency. Tubes and tonsils dont pay squat (which is why peds ENTs are poorly paid for the most part). I would love to have them off my plate. The thing is nobody wants to do ear tubes/tonsils and then take responsibility - I'm not going to clean up your tonsil bleed in the middle of the night. Family doc isnt going to want to do that either. Does the family doc want to deal with perforations and granulation tissue and trying to remove ear tubes? Probably not.
I don't disagree, but I think another key difference here is the need for an OR/general anesthesia for this type of stuff vs. office-based procedures. Most FM docs are not going to want to screw around with hospital credentialing and that sort of thing but are perfectly happy to do whatever procedures can be easily done in the office.

I'm sorry but this view is just not it, and it is takes like this that will lead to the downfall and eventual brain drain in medicine. I can't imagine going through 4 years of med school, getting into a good IM residency, clawing your way into GI all to be replaced/having a key piece of your livelihood taken by a midlevel who can just switch around to different specialties. And it's not going to make them any cheaper for the patient, they will still charge the same rates, if anything it'll be more expensive because it would consolidate more power to the hospitals as they could crank out a ton of scopes with their midlevel army
But that goes more into thinking what we’re owed vs what is actually good for patients.

If you could do a blood test that cost 10 dollars and ruled out all types of breast cancer, would it really be justifiable to say no to this technology just because mammo trained rads would be out of work?

Anyone could be trained to do colonoscopies well with enough reps and no worse outcomes. There’s a cheaper alternative available so that’s probably what will eventually happen. Sucks that GI docs trained for so long to act like scope technicians once they leave academia. But that’s not the fault of the patient who needs a colonoscopy.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
But that goes more into thinking what we’re owed vs what is actually good for patients.

If you could do a blood test that cost 10 dollars and ruled out all types of breast cancer, would it really be justifiable to say no to this technology just because mammo trained rads would be out of work?

Anyone could be trained to do colonoscopies well with enough reps and no worse outcomes. There’s a cheaper alternative available so that’s probably what will eventually happen. Sucks that GI docs trained for so long to act like scope technicians once they leave academia. But that’s not the fault of the patient who needs a colonoscopy.
I think the thought only becomes dangerous if (when) FPA becomes a thing.

Could you imagine the NP "GI cancer screening cert" becoming like the current situation with the online diploma mills?

Midlevels would be doing 500 shadowing hours and then would blindly start doing invasive procedures.

I think the thought only becomes dangerous if (when) FPA becomes a thing.

Could you imagine the NP "GI cancer screening cert" becoming like the current situation with the online diploma mills?

Midlevels would be doing 500 shadowing hours and then would blindly start doing invasive procedures.
Oh yeah. I’m only for it if they’re given the same volume in training as physicians.

Just pointing out the logic that physicians trained a long time and out competed other physicians for the opportunity to do a money-making procedure is not the reason to gate keep it.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh yeah. I’m only for it if they’re given the same volume in training as physicians.

Just pointing out the logic that physicians trained a long time and out competed other physicians for the opportunity to do a money-making procedure is not the reason to gate keep it.
Orrrr they can go to med school, match academic IM, and get a GI fellowship. I don't think you would want to get scoped or other loved ones to get scoped by an NP. I have no interest in GI but I respect them for protecting their turf. Instead of minimizing and putting down other specialties, you all could learn something from GI. And for those saying wait times are insane, go call a local private practice GI and they'll get you in within a couple of weeks if not sooner; the same could be said for any specialty in pp.

why would any physician take Medicaid when the govt cuts reimbursement every year?

• Dislike
Members don't see this ad :)
why would any physician take Medicaid when the govt cuts reimbursement every year?
Agree with DarkHorizon above, and also because it is the right thing to do for those patients. 20-25% of Americans are on Medicaid.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Dislike
Especially in pp, you can fill your panel with no Medicaid or straight medicare with no supplemental. Psychiatry is leading the way with how practices should be run with a cash-only model. Hope other specialties can adopt a similar system. Medicaid/care are abysmal payers, especially Medicaid.

Lol, I could not get into my local private practice GI for two months, as an already established patient, for the condition they manage for me, when I was sick enough that I got admitted to the hospital a week later. We currently have a 6+ month waiting list for neurology and rheumatology for my patients. NONE of the private practice dermatologists in town take Medicaid, so those folks are just out of luck - good thing our local dermatologists are more than willing to teach our FM residents to manage basic skin concerns and do biopsies and excisions.

ETA- not advocating for NPs to be doing scopes by any means, just saying what you're suggesting here is not a realistic solution either.
Good for them, they know their worth.

• Dislike
Good for them, they know their worth.
I'm not disagreeing by any means that Medicaid reimbursement is terrible and it's a system-level issue, but the policy of these practices also directly harms my patients so it's tough for me to be quite so flippant about it.

• Love
Okay but when does low reimbursement become too low? If physicians just stop taking Medicaid because the rates are too low, wouldn’t the government be forced to pay more? Federal government employees always get pay raises, the govt spends tons of money on useless stuff but cut reimbursement to physicians.

I'm not disagreeing by any means that Medicaid reimbursement is terrible and it's a system-level issue, but the policy of these practices also directly harms my patients so it's tough for me to be quite so flippant about it.
So due to poor policy docs should voluntarily take a massive pay cut (and often lose money on Medicaid patients) and assume the same liability? This is why docs get walked over

Okay but when does low reimbursement become too low? If physicians just stop taking Medicaid because the rates are too low, wouldn’t the government be forced to pay more? Federal government employees always get pay raises, the govt spends tons of money on useless stuff but cut reimbursement to physicians.
Interesting how our gov can spend billions on a country 99% of Americans doesn't know exists yet they lowball docs and docs just take it

That works great in theory, but FQHCs and teaching facilities CANNOT just stop taking Medicaid by law, which is where the bulk of these patients end up for primary care. This also couldn't happen without ENORMOUS harm to patients on Medicaid, which as I said make up about a quarter of Americans and are often those in greatest need of care. So they don't have access to care, they end up in the ER for everything from a snotty nose to a stroke due to uncontrolled pick your favorite chronic disease, and we end up paying for their care anyway. I think the right answer is to advocate for better Medicaid reimbursement, among other policies to support good access to good quality care for this patient population.

So due to poor policy docs should voluntarily take a massive pay cut (and often lose money on Medicaid patients) and assume the same liability? This is why docs get walked over
That's....not even close to what I said. I think there are numerous potential policy solutions to fix this issue that we as physicians should be advocating for. In the meantime, we should do the right thing for our patients.

• Love
That works great in theory, but FQHCs and teaching facilities CANNOT just stop taking Medicaid by law, which is where the bulk of these patients end up for primary care. This also couldn't happen without ENORMOUS harm to patients on Medicaid, which as I said make up about a quarter of Americans and are often those in greatest need of care. So they don't have access to care, they end up in the ER for everything from a snotty nose to a stroke due to uncontrolled pick your favorite chronic disease, and we end up paying for their care anyway. I think the right answer is to advocate for better Medicaid reimbursement, among other policies to support good access to good quality care for this patient population.

That's....not even close to what I said. I think there are numerous potential policy solutions to fix this issue that we as physicians should be advocating for. In the meantime, we should do the right thing for our patients.
We do not share the same view point so I am going to leave this conversation.

• Okay...
We do not share the same view point so I am going to leave this conversation.
LOL. Yeah, if you don't share the view that we should advocate for better health policy and do the right thing for our patients then I don't see this conversation being productive.

• Love
LOL. Yeah, if you don't share the view that we should do the right thing for our patients then I don't see this conversation being productive.
No, I don't believe physicians should take being ripped off. Physicians are under no obligation to take Medicaid. And "advocating" for increased reimbursements will, and has, accomplished nothing.

• Dislike
No, I don't believe physicians should take being ripped off. Physicians are under no obligation to take Medicaid. And "advocating" for increased reimbursements will, and has, accomplished nothing.
You seem to be responding to a lot of points that (1) I never made, and (2) I don't even agree with. I don't believe physicians should take being ripped off either. I never said physicians are under any obligation to take Medicaid, and I can certainly understand why some physicians don't. That doesn't change the fact that making that choice directly harms patients who are often in greatest need of care. Regardless of your position on whether physicians should take Medicaid, I think we can all acknowledge the fact that it hurts patients when they don't. And thanks to physician advocacy, there have actually been some big changes to outpatient billing criteria recently that monetarily incentivize taking care of patients with more complex social situations, which of course boosts reimbursement for many Medicaid patients.

ETA: Medicaid reimbursement rates have also been increased in the last 10 years or so specifically for primary care, which has been a big focus for advocacy for the AAFP. There is a bill in committee in the Senate right now and also in the House to raise Medicaid reimbursements to be equivalent to Medicare rates and expand that to other specialties besides primary care as well. There are several states that have Medicaid reimbursement equal to or better than Medicare reimbursement rates already.

Last edited:
You seem to be responding to a lot of points that (1) I never made, and (2) I don't even agree with. I don't believe physicians should take being ripped off either. I never said physicians are under any obligation to take Medicaid, and I can certainly understand why some physicians don't. That doesn't change the fact that making that choice directly harms patients who are often in greatest need of care. Regardless of your position on whether physicians should take Medicaid, I think we can all acknowledge the fact that it hurts patients when they don't. And thanks to physician advocacy, there have actually been some big changes to outpatient billing criteria recently that monetarily incentivize taking care of patients with more complex social situations, which of course boosts reimbursement for many Medicaid patients.

ETA: Medicaid reimbursement rates have also been increased in the last 10 years or so specifically for primary care, which has been a big focus for advocacy for the AAFP. There is a bill in committee in the Senate right now and also in the House to raise Medicaid reimbursements to be equivalent to Medicare rates and expand that to other specialties besides primary care as well. There are several states that have Medicaid reimbursement equal to or better than Medicare reimbursement rates already.
And yet they still lag significantly behind private insurance and cash pay with the same liability on more complex patients

And yet they still lag significantly behind private insurance and cash pay with the same liability on more complex patients
...which is why we need to continue to advocate for better policy. I'm like genuinely confused what you think you disagree with me about???

Orrrr they can go to med school, match academic IM, and get a GI fellowship. I don't think you would want to get scoped or other loved ones to get scoped by an NP. I have no interest in GI but I respect them for protecting their turf. Instead of minimizing and putting down other specialties, you all could learn something from GI. And for those saying wait times are insane, go call a local private practice GI and they'll get you in within a couple of weeks if not sooner; the same could be said for any specialty in pp.
I mean if you have an argument that shows you really need 10 years of training after undergrad (7 of which have nothing to do with colonoscopies) to do this procedure, I’m happy to hear it. But it sounds like your argument is that GI docs are entitled to it because they’re GI docs.

Sorry but no one is entitled to anything. Welcome to the real world.

Furthermore, none of your responses seem to have any concern for patient care. I’m sure if reimbursement for colonoscopy was cut tomorrow you’d say NPs can easily handle this procedure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I mean if you have an argument that shows you really need 10 years of training after undergrad (7 of which have nothing to do with colonoscopies) to do this procedure, I’m happy to hear it. But it sounds like your argument is that GI docs are entitled to it because they’re GI docs.

Sorry but no one is entitled to anything. Welcome to the real world.

Furthermore, none of your responses seem to have any concern for patient care. I’m sure if reimbursement for colonoscopy was cut tomorrow you’d say NPs can easily handle this procedure.
I think there's a nuanced argument to be made here for scope techs, but there has to be very strict guidelines as to what patients they care for. Colonoscopies are both diagnostic and therapeutic. Completing both identification and treatment of an abnormality requires you to have a foundation in clinical reasoning, pathology, and decision making that takes years to master. Sure, a tech might be able to identify a polyp, remove it, biopsy a lesion, but you still need a GI to make decisions about potential treatment/follow up. The GI would probably need to do another scope to make sure nothing was missed. Would you make a clinical decision about a pathology without actually looking at it yourself? The only people who should be seen by techs are those with basically no risk factors or symptoms. If there is a positive result they should be scoped by a GI. This is obviously attainable because there are a LOT of people with no risk factors who need routine screening. But I can't help but feel this is a slippery slope if we are unable to define exactly what they should and should not be allowed to do. And we know that with the whole NP autonomy situation that those established bounds are inevitably going to be removed/crossed at some point...

I think there's a nuanced argument to be made here for scope techs, but there has to be very strict guidelines as to what patients they care for. Colonoscopies are both diagnostic and therapeutic. Completing both identification and treatment of an abnormality requires you to have a foundation in clinical reasoning, pathology, and decision making that takes years to master. Sure, a tech might be able to identify a polyp, remove it, biopsy a lesion, but you still need a GI to make decisions about potential treatment/follow up. The GI would probably need to do another scope to make sure nothing was missed. Would you make a clinical decision about a pathology without actually looking at it yourself? The only people who should be seen by techs are those with basically no risk factors or symptoms. If there is a positive result they should be scoped by a GI. This is obviously attainable because there are a LOT of people with no risk factors who need routine screening. But I can't help but feel this is a slippery slope if we are unable to define exactly what they should and should not be allowed to do. And we know that with the whole NP autonomy situation that those established bounds are inevitably going to be removed/crossed at some point.
Yeah. I imagine it purely for screening purposes. Not diagnostic or therapeutic. On paper, you’re paying someone $150-$200k to just perform a screening exam instead of a physician $600k+. That’s huge savings for admin and allows additional revenue to expand services to more patients.

At least that’s how it starts. Then PE would try to have one GI doc overseeing 50 NPs or something stupid.

FWIW, I’m NOT in favor of this model. Not because I don’t think non-physicians can’t perform a technical skill and follow an algorithm about what to do with the result.

I’m not in favor of it because I know they’ll never actually train them to do the task as well as us. People who want rigorous training don’t become midlevels. As an aside, I know absolutely none of these savings will be passed on to patients so no point really.

My only point really is that “because that money is for doctors” doesn’t hold up.

I strongly, strongly disagree with you. I'd argue that in some ways generalist fields like primary care, EM, and hospitalist are more challenging than specialized fields because you actually have an undifferentiated patient in front of you. Sure, the kid with the sore throat could have another viral URI...or a peritonsillar abscess or epiglottitis. The diabetic 50 year old coming in with a hot red hand could have cellulitis or gout...or nec fasc or pyogenic flexor tenosynovitis. The hallmark of a terrible PCP is that they don't know what they don't know, and that kills patients. Literally anything could walk through your door and you need to be able to know when to be worried about something serious/time-sensitive, and no, you can't always "refer out or get the patient to the right person to make the decision" when my patients are waiting at least 2, sometimes 6+ months to see a specialist, or in some cases can't see one at all because they're on Medicaid or uninsured (which accounts for 70-80% of my patient population). Maybe generalist medicine didn't require much additional training 40 years ago when the treatment for an MI was morphine and a prayer, but that's no longer the case.

Anyone is free to disagree. Sure, you need to know a little about a lot - as the saying goes "jack of all trades, master of none." You do need to be able to triage patients and distinguish serious, emergent illnesses from those that are not. But at the end of the day, you're still going to be sending that nec fasc or FTS to the ED. You're not going to be doing the I&D or the drainage because you're not specialized enough to do that (even though FTS is drained at the bedside with subsequent OR). Because generalists need to know a little about a lot but don't need to know the depth of information that specialists need to know, I don't think that generalist training needs to be longer than what it is (and probably can be shortened). Again, my opinion. Biased as a specialist.

And you also point out another major logistical challenge - PCPs who can't figure out how to manage reasonable things on their own are going to do unnecessary referrals and testing. This adds expense to a healthcare system that is already by far the most expensive in the world. It adds cost and barriers for our patients to receive appropriate care. It leads to poorer health outcomes when there is not someone who is adequately coordinating care between multiple specialists...like a PCP. And it adds an enormous burden to specialists who in my neck of the woods, are already hugely overbooked. If we all sent a bunch of patients to cardiology because we couldn't figure out what to do about a fib that's controllable with a beta blocker or anybody with abnormal LFTs to GI for workup, they would NEVER be able to keep up with the patient load, which hurts patients as well. Plenty of data out there on the benefits of good PCPs in a community both with health-related and cost-related outcomes if you care to look.

Never said that PCPs aren't needed or that they don't triage things - that's the purpose of the PCP. To do the triage and to initiate the workup and the treatment. That doesn't require the in-depth knowledge of a specialist. The algorithm for treating Afib is taught to any medical student ad nauseum. The algorithm for asthma and COPD treatment is taught to every medical student. That doesn't take 5 years to learn. What does take a long time to learn is what specialists need to know - all the intricacies of treatment options and what to do when those initial treatments fail.

• Dislike
Anyone is free to disagree. Sure, you need to know a little about a lot - as the saying goes "jack of all trades, master of none." You do need to be able to triage patients and distinguish serious, emergent illnesses from those that are not. But at the end of the day, you're still going to be sending that nec fasc or FTS to the ED. You're not going to be doing the I&D or the drainage because you're not specialized enough to do that (even though FTS is drained at the bedside with subsequent OR). Because generalists need to know a little about a lot but don't need to know the depth of information that specialists need to know, I don't think that generalist training needs to be longer than what it is (and probably can be shortened). Again, my opinion. Biased as a specialist.

Never said that PCPs aren't needed or that they don't triage things - that's the purpose of the PCP. To do the triage and to initiate the workup and the treatment. That doesn't require the in-depth knowledge of a specialist. The algorithm for treating Afib is taught to any medical student ad nauseum. The algorithm for asthma and COPD treatment is taught to every medical student. That doesn't take 5 years to learn. What does take a long time to learn is what specialists need to know - all the intricacies of treatment options and what to do when those initial treatments fail.
I think you have a poor understanding of what PCPs do. This may not be your fault - in many locations PCPs are glorified referral techs. But in plenty of other places you see a pattern of only referring for procedures or problems that are significantly complex.

Reactions: 4 users

Are you actually a specialist or just a med student that wants to do plastics? That's what it sounds like.

Most surgical subspecialist workup doesn't require any special skill. That's why we hire an army of NPs and PAs to do all the nonsense workup so we can spend more time in the OR. There's less "wrong diagnosis" because we can set it up so the midlevel follows the algorithm. PCPs with undifferentiated complaints more commonly screw up the diagnosis and midlevels even more so. Sure, if the diagnosis of COPD or asthma is made already then it's easy. But probably 50-75% of referrals I get have wrong diagnoses to begin with.

I think you have a poor understanding of what PCPs do. This may not be your fault - in many locations PCPs are glorified referral techs. But in plenty of other places you see a pattern of only referring for procedures or problems that are significantly complex.
I'm a lowly med student; my perception on my FM rotation was the pcps constantly bad-mouthing specialists. They were far more than technicians, many were great clinicians, but it came off as sour grapes and made me 100% want to be a specialist.

Are you actually a specialist or just a med student that wants to do plastics? That's what it sounds like.

Clearly I am a pre- pre-med going into neurosurgery because my daddy is the chair.

I'm not arguing for extending the length of PCP training, I'm arguing that PCPs should have training as PCPs. I had great training in med school but I know much more and am a much better PCP now than I would have been before my residency training. I agree it sounds like you haven't had much experience with the role a good PCP can play. You're clearly not a PCP, you have several actual PCPs telling you that your perception is not accurate. I would never be so arrogant as to assume what changes should be made in someone else's specialty, because I don't know what I don't know about it.

I have no idea what you're agreeing with because that does not appear in anything I've said. PCPs should have training as PCPs - how long should that be? 1 year? 3 years?

I think you have a poor perception of what referrals specialists get from PCPs.

You understand that the poster you're responding to is an experienced FM attending, right? I think they probably have a pretty good idea of what referrals they send to specialists.

You understand that no assertions can be made from n = 1, right? Maybe they are one of the "good" PCPs that send only appropriate referrals to specialists. But that does not an argument make.

I'm confused about the overall point you're making here beyond that there are some bad PCPs out there. Because some PCPs make referrals that you perceive to be bad....we should have less training? Or people from other specialties should be able to practice primary care with no additional training, like PAs and NPs can switch specialties?

We do not see eye to eye regarding the necessity of additional training for PCPs. I do not think that 3 years of residency is necessary to become a PCP. I do not think that 0 additional training beyond medical school is sufficient to be a PCP. I think the sweet spot is somewhere in between.

• Dislike
So you think a large portion of PCPs are doing terrible referrals, which in my mind are often a result of inadequate knowledge/skills, and your conclusion is that PCPs should have LESS training? Am I understanding that correctly?

No you're not. I do not believe that the root cause of the bad referrals is inadequate knowledge. It's the medicolegal environment and the result of the current model of medical training. People spend years in training having this ingrained in them because they are being trained by the same people who are practicing this sort of defensive medicine. Would I be in favor of undoing that culture through some new way of training? Maybe. But spending more time training in the current model is unnecessary in my view and just further ingrains these practices into new PCPs.

I think you have a poor perception of what referrals specialists get from PCPs.
I definitely have less than what specialists do, there's no denying that.

But between SDN and having friends who are specialists (and friends/family/partners) who are PCPs I bet I have a decent idea of some of the awful referrals specialists get. Heck, I will send some pretty awful ones from time to time but I do make it very clear It's because the patient demanded it, not that I thought they needed it (I always hope specialists read that so they don't think I'm an incompetent jerk).

We do not see eye to eye regarding the necessity of additional training for PCPs. I do not think that 3 years of residency is necessary to become a PCP. I do not think that 0 additional training beyond medical school is sufficient to be a PCP. I think the sweet spot is somewhere in between.
It's my favorite SDN trope: "I am not a primary care physician and have never trained in it but I know you guys have too much training time."

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Equally if not more important-reforming CMS payment (which dictates commercial insurance payment and overall reimbursement). Physician reimbursement from CMS since 2000 is stagnant (actually down by 50% in my field when adjusted to inflation). Total cost to attend my in-state med school was around 170K in 2007, now closer to 300K:

What you can do now
Contact your members of Congress and ask them to stop the Medicare physician payment cuts before the end of the year. The AMA is urging Congressto do the same—and to reform the system overall so we aren’t facing yearly cuts. Congress is taking notice: Reps. Bera, MD (D-CA) and Bucshon, MD (R-IN) recently introduced bipartisan legislation, the “Supporting Medicare Providers Act of 2022,” to stop the cuts; and 46 senators on Nov. 2 cosigned a bipartisan letter spearheaded by Senators Stabenow (D-MI) and Barrasso (R-WY) to Senate leadership urging them to address cuts—and supporting bipartisan long-term Medicare payment reform.

Last edited:
This thread is "I am a primary care doctor and nps and PAs can do specialist procedures"
Yes because that's simply a repeating of things that are already happening.

I personally am very unlikely to go to a mid-level for a colonoscopy but there are midlevels out there doing them.

But between SDN and having friends who are specialists (and friends/family/partners) who are PCPs I bet I have a decent idea of some of the awful referrals specialists get. Heck, I will send some pretty awful ones from time to time but I do make it very clear It's because the patient demanded it, not that I thought they needed it (I always hope specialists read that so they don't think I'm an incompetent jerk).

Is this a more appropriate reason to refer than for medicolegal reasons?

Is this a more appropriate reason to refer than for medicolegal reasons?
Probably not if going by the book, but in real world, in the outpatient setting your reputation matters (including your rating on any of the physician review websites out there which patients can easily post on). Patients frequently request specialist referral since they are seen as the experts the issue at hand. And as long as if they have a decent insurance, they specialists probably want the business as well.

if you don't refer, they can at the minimum trash talk you on any the physician review websites and having too many negative reviews will in many cases lead to a drop in business, especially if in larger cities where the physician market is more saturated. The patient themselves scan stop seeing you. And if you decline it too many times, an angry patient plus a bad outcome is what trigger a malpractice lawsuit.

Probably not if going by the book, but in real world, in the outpatient setting your reputation matters (including your rating on any of the physician review websites out there which patients can easily post on). Patients frequently request specialist referral since they are seen as the experts the issue at hand. And as long as if they have a decent insurance, they specialists probably want the business as well.

if you don't refer, they can at the minimum trash talk you on any the physician review websites and having too many negative reviews will in many cases lead to a drop in business, especially if in larger cities where the physician market is more saturated. The patient themselves scan stop seeing you. And if you decline it too many times, an angry patient plus a bad outcome is what trigger a malpractice lawsuit.

That may apply to non-proceduralists but procedural specialties don't want inappropriate referrals. Proceduralists aren't paid for the number of patients they're seeing in office. They're paid largely by getting people to sign up for surgery. If the patients you're referring have no indication for surgery, it generates less revenue for the practice than seeing a patient who does have an appropriate indication for surgery.

I still maintain that medicolegal reasons and fear of "negative" reviews is not an ethical or defensible reason for a frivolous referral. You're on a slippery slope. Would you prescribe antibiotics for a clear case of a viral illness just because the patient is demanding and threatening to post a negative review?

That may apply to non-proceduralists but procedural specialties don't want inappropriate referrals. Proceduralists aren't paid for the number of patients they're seeing in office. They're paid largely by getting people to sign up for surgery. If the patients you're referring have no indication for surgery, it generates less revenue for the practice than seeing a patient who does have an appropriate indication for surgery.

I still maintain that medicolegal reasons and fear of "negative" reviews is not an ethical or defensible reason for a frivolous referral. You're on a slippery slope. Would you prescribe antibiotics for a clear case of a viral illness just because the patient is demanding and threatening to post a negative review?
Yes, I do it all the time.

I have literally lost 2 jobs over not doing that. I won't make that mistake again.

• Wow
  • Sad
  • Care