Why does it seem like DO schools reject those with really good stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roxas

Giggity!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit: Thought I started this thread in pre-osteo. If a MOD could please move this...

I may be totally wrong, but from all the school specific thread surfing I've done it seems like many people with a very high gpa or MCAT score (or both) get rejected pre-interview from DO schools. I know that DO schools try to look beyond numbers and at the applicant as a whole, but this seems to be more common than I would expect. Is is possible DO schools don't want to be someone's "backup" so they reject those who are competitive for MD?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Edit: Thought I started this thread in pre-osteo. If a MOD could please move this...

I may be totally wrong, but from all the school specific thread surfing I've done it seems like many people with a very high gpa or MCAT score (or both) get rejected pre-interview from DO schools. I know that DO schools try to look beyond numbers and at the applicant as a whole, but this seems to be more common than I would expect. Is is possible DO schools don't want to be someone's "backup" so they reject those who are competitive for MD?

Hey OGrady,

You are correct in assuming it's to protect their yield. They don't want to make 100 offers and have only 3 students matriculate since they all went to MD or higher ranked DO schools.

Thus from what I can tell, they try offer interviews to people who they feel would actually matriculate.

If I'm wrong please correct me.

Thanks
LaughingMan