Why does Megace cause DVT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FastLane051

Avid Pre-Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why does megace cause DVT?
Can anyone help me out on this lol?

Am I right in think that since it causes weight gain, particularly in fat, that this will have a hypercoagulative effect in the veins?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why does megace cause DVT?
Can anyone help me out on this lol?

Am I right in think that since it causes weight gain, particularly in fat, that this will have a hypercoagulative effect in the veins?

Where did you hear/read that it did?

There are quite a few articles out there...have you tried pulling any of these? :)

Bolen JC, Andersen RE, Bennett RG. Deep vein thrombosis as a complication of megestrol acetate therapy among nursing home residents. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2000 Nov-Dec;1(6):248-52.

Koller E, Gilbert C, Green L, Mann M, Bernstein B. Thrombotic events associated with megestrol acetate in patients with AIDS cachexia. Nutrition. 1999;15:294-298.

Force LI, Barrufet P, Herreras Z, Bolibar I. Deep venous thrombosis and megestrol in patients with HIV infection. AIDS. 1999;13:1425-1426.

Marshall LL. Megestrol acetate therapy in geriatric patients: case reviews and associated deep vein thrombosis. Consult Pharm. 2003 Sep;18(9):764-73.

Kropsky, B., Y. Shi, et al. Incidence of deep-venous thrombosis in nursing home residents using megestrol acetate. J Am Med Dir Assoc 2003 4(5):255-6.

Thomas, et al. Incidence of venous thromboembolism in megestrol acetate users. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2004 Jan-Feb;5(1):65-6; author reply 66-7.

S. Hussain, M. Singh, R. Shi, R. Mansour, G. Mills, J. Marion. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2006 ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings Part I. Vol 24, No. 18S (June 20 Supplement), 2006: 18510

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you hear/read that it did?
I don't know about the original poster, but I went to a Morris Cody review in May, and the speaker said Megace causes DVTs.

I don't know about the original poster, but I went to a Morris Cody review in May, and the speaker said Megace causes DVTs.

My point was that the OP needed to go back to that source and figure it out.