why does program matter?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by realruby2000, Oct 16, 2002.

1. realruby2000

realruby2000 Senior Member

I'm interested in em....

i read somewhere that there are aobut 1100 em programs available to us med school grads....

what i wanna know is whats the difference in doing an em residency at a highly reputable place like duke vs a "not so popular" place like some random city/suburban hospital...?
    I know duke might offer more/better training....but in the end, arent you going to end up as an Emergency Physician able to practice medicine whereever u want? what are the real benefits of going to a big name program besides prestige? do residents from "no name" programs have a lower salary or have a harder time finding a job?

thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jim Picotte

Jim Picotte Senior Member

Careful realruby, you're not suppose to have this knowledge until you're done with residency and spent countless hours worrying about going to the best medical school in the world and the best residency in the world. :)

4. Philism

Philism Member

I don't know a thing about residencies, so I'm going to blame the Skull&Bone society and a conspiracy.