why does program matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realruby2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in em....

i read somewhere that there are aobut 1100 em programs available to us med school grads....

what i wanna know is whats the difference in doing an em residency at a highly reputable place like duke vs a "not so popular" place like some random city/suburban hospital...?
I know duke might offer more/better training....but in the end, arent you going to end up as an Emergency Physician able to practice medicine whereever u want? what are the real benefits of going to a big name program besides prestige? do residents from "no name" programs have a lower salary or have a harder time finding a job?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Careful realruby, you're not suppose to have this knowledge until you're done with residency and spent countless hours worrying about going to the best medical school in the world and the best residency in the world. :)

Originally posted by Jim Picotte
Careful realruby, you're not suppose to have this knowledge until you're done with residency and spent countless hours worrying about going to the best medical school in the world and the best residency in the world. :)

I don't know a thing about residencies, so I'm going to blame the Skull&Bone society and a conspiracy.