Why does scutwork.com not have Neurosurgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toadkiller Dog

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who use the scutwork.com database, have you noticed that they have left out Neurosurgery? What gives? They have smaller fields listed, like Plast ics and Hand Surgery, but no Neurosurg?

I e-mailed them to ask why, but they never responded. Maybe they don't like neurosurgeons, or think they can't write :p Oh well.

Members don't see this ad.

I noticed the same thing some time ago and also e-mailed them. Same result....no reply.

It would certainly be nice to have feedback about Neurosurgical programs. Does anyone know of another site that that may do this since Scutwork.com does not seem interested?

I haven't found any other database for neurosurgery that provides info like scutwork. If anyone finds one I'd love to know.

+pissed+ Get linux . . .

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi folks,

I don't mean to hijack the thread but since you folks obviously seem to be interested in NS, I thought the forum was appropriate.

I know that neurosurgery is a research oriented specialty and that PD's have a positive response to a strong publication record.

I am in the process of publishing 2 neurosurg case reports in neuro journals, and will be a second author on a basic science research paper being published in a tier 1 scientific journal. I have pretty decent board scores for step I. I will be graduating from a tier 2 medical school that generally does not have a history of neurosurgery matches. I also feel that there really are not many senior students here that have gone through the neurosurg process so that I may turn to them for advice.

Can anyone comment on how this may affect my chances for a neurosurgery spot? How many programs should I expect to apply to? Are there any programs to avoid? Do most programs take their "own" medical students as opposed to students from other regions? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.