Why does SOPHAS take soooo long to process?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BacardiGirl

Go Gophers!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of this week, I have a complete application:
All transcripts are IN
All three LORs are IN
I am using my LSAT score, so I mailed that directly to my chosen school
I paid my fee to have my app sent out.

So, after reading the FAQs and also emailing SOPHAS to see how long it takes before they actually mail my app package to the school, they said it can take up to 5 weeks??? I also notice that they have not calculated my GPA yet, even though I'd entered my courses (and transcripts came in) 2 weeks ago. What in the world is the hold up? I am semi-nervous in that the U of MN started accepting apps last month and now they won't even get mine until October at the soonest. (With Applications being accepted until December)

Do I need to be concerned now, or am I freaking out for nothing? The main reason I couldn't submit a complete app earlier was because the LOR writers were taking a long time to submit their letters.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're wayyyy ahead of most people. I'm not even taking the GRE til mid-Oct (planning to submit by end of Oct) and I thought that was pretty early...

You can submit any test score when applying with SOPHAS? I thought it was GRE only.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can submit any test score when applying with SOPHAS? I thought it was GRE only.

I'm applying to SPH with an emphasis in policy and administration, and at the U of M they accept an LSAT for that concentration.

I think you're wayyyy ahead of most people. I'm not even taking the GRE til mid-Oct (planning to submit by end of Oct) and I thought that was pretty early...

Hmm...maybe I AM freaking out for nothing in regards to timeline. But, I am feeling a little depressed about my grades. SOPHAS has not calculated my GPA yet (again, how long does THAT take??), but I know it will be just under 3.0 (ouch), but I received my undergrad 10 years ago, so its not like I am the same person (student) I was back then and it sucks that I can't do anything about my old grades now. I have been taking classes again for the past 2 years, part time, non-degree, but I have a couple C's sprinkled in there since I was originally looking at more hands-on health and took Chem and Bio (after not studying any of that since High School, so it was really hard). I might have shot myself in the foot now, with my grades being less than stellar. My LSAT was ok, about average. My personal stmt was honest...I guess I am praying that my LORs will blow them away?